G37 Sedan

Considering buying. How satisfied are you with your G37X purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM
hollywhip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree G37guy, Sans the Extended warranties on the G get several for the Bummer just don't trust the cabbage heads. And I was born over there. Back in the 80's & 90's Bummer's where more reliable then the newer models which seem to be in the shops on a frequent basis. I didn't buy one because you see three or four on every street you turn onto and I don't want a vehicle everybody else has. Don't buy and drive a G then come onto a G forum and tell everyone how a Bummer kills the G here and there BS.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:06 PM
jddssc121

I went back and forth between a 335 and a G37 (328 was too slow, the new F30 is a lot better)

Yes, the 3 series handles/rides better. I like the Infiniti interior much more. To me it came down to the extra cost.... the 335 just wasn't worth the extra 10K for the better ride. It IS better, just not 10K better as far as I am concerned.... like others have said - 90% of the car for 75% of the price.... Only you can decide if that last 10% is worth it for you.....
Old 01-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Valdysses

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in a similar situation, OP. I had a real love/hate with the tranny on the G, but eventually I brought it in for service. The loaner 2012 g37 felt fantastic, just like my 2005 Audi A6. Thankfully, after an ECU flash, my 2009 G37x transmission feels just like new. Not everyone has had the same experience, but for me it was night and day.

Be sure to test drive a 2012 G for comparison. With a reflash, my 2009 feels near identical, and while it's still not perfect, it's now very enjoyable to drive.

Knowing what I know now after a few months of ownership, I would absolutely buy it again. Great car -- looks and feels phenomenal, and with a big intake and some hotchkis sway bars it sounds and rides like little else. You won't be disappointed.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 PM
ataDude

2012 Convertible (7AT/preimum/nav/a few others) here. Very satisfied.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 PM
RX Law

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SHort and Sweet

I love my 2011 G37S. 11k miles now and still look for reasons to drive it.

At $43k - there is no competition.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:33 AM
mojo1865

I am very happy with my new 2011 G37x. I have just a couple of complaints, but small stuff really. I think there is an excessive amount of dash glare in the windshield (anyone else on this?) and I'm really not happy with the Android compatiblity (lack there of!). Other than that, quality through and through!

As far as value, I don't think the G's can be beat. I also think leasing is the way to go with the G's, if that will fit your situation. With only paying depreciation (with rates, MF actually being so LOW) now, and the residuals, it is "cheaper" than a loaded Altima! For a 15K mile/year lease, I pay $379 (tax included), and that was only putting down first month, aquisition fee and doc fee. And....my residual will be $21,000 after 39 months...so I should have equity at the end!

Just my 2 cents!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:36 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I don't notice glare from the windshield, but do notice it on the driver side window (sedan). I think it's the stupid chrome trim that's the cause of it.

Zero issues with BT/android - using an evo 4g with cm7. Full phonebook access, and can stream music using various players with track forward/back control.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 AM
mojo1865

I have a non-nav G37.....

And I guess I should restate that....it's more of a reflection of the dash in the windshield.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:20 PM
IgS

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought an 09 G37x back at the end of 09 and I love this car. However there are a couple of additions that i would suggest. Most importantly get the paddle shifter kit, its only $250 and you can install it yourself without even removing the steering wheel. Very easy and makes a huge difference in enjoyment. Plus you dont have to be in manual mode to shift gears with the paddles. You can be in D, and then if you ever need to downshift quickly, just tap the paddle shifter and off you go. Probably the best mod for the $.

Im used to sport/lowered cars so i lowered mine as i wasnt too fond of the wheel gaps and the handling was a bit too soft with the stock suspension and 17's. I purchased the coupe 19's and that made a huge difference in handling even with the stock suspension.

Overall i like this car a lot, its got its own quirks just like every other car out there, but i think that you will love the car just like the vast majority of people on this board do. As far as the complaints, remember that the ones complaining are the most vocal ones. So go get an extensive test drive and see if you like it. If you do get it, make sure to get the paddle shifter set and some larger wheels.

Summary:
- My 09 G37x is great
- It has quirks, just like every other car, overall extremely good value
- extensive test drive to make sure YOU like it.
- if you get it, make sure to get paddle shifter kit and preferable some suspension/wheels mods to suit your tastes.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Dub_37S

Originally Posted by mojo1865
I'm really not happy with the Android compatiblity (lack there of!)
What incompatibility are you experiencing? I have a Galaxy S that works fine in my 2012 G37S.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I had by G37X for about 18 months and still enjoy the car...for the most part. Like several on this board I cross shopped the BMW 3 series. The 328 was a dog....and the 335 was too expensive when well equipped. If you plan to keep the car for a long time....the G is a pretty good bet. Long term reliability has been stellar. Is the car perfect...absolutely not. I think the interior is beginning to look dated, tends to have more squeaks and rattles than it should, and the engine, while powerful, is not particularly sweet sounding. The paint job is pretty poor for a $42,000 car. That said, it drives well, handles predictably, and is fairly comfortable. When my lease is up I will look closely at the new 328....and also at the new Lexus GS350.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM
hashmanx

Originally Posted by mikelebron
I went from a 328xi Coupe to a G37x Sedan (had a baby) and also wanted more power... The 335 was about 4- 5 grand more.... I am starting to regret my decision.

Here are my points:

1. BMW drives likes its on rails. The G37 is VERY VERY good; dont get me wrong and I do believe that with upgraded sway bars it may be close or equal. But out off the show room floor the BMW hands down blows it way in stability, cornering, etc. etc. Now I have driven the G37 coupe with the Sport package (upgraded suspension) and still the BMW beats it out.

2. BMW destroys the G37x when it comes to all wheel drive. NO comparison - different league when it comes to getting grip / sliding / etc. in wet or snowy weather.

3. BMW stock audio system destroys the G37x Bose system - though honestly I have adapted to the Bose and its not bad.. so we are talking about very good (G37) to Excellent (BMW). I am an audiophile at heart.. So I am sensitive with audio systems.

4. Tranny - BMW absolutely destroys the G37x in auto and manual shifting (auto trans). I also at first didnt like the BMW tranny - but that was in auto mode. It shifts like a grandma -- BUT when you put it in sport mode OR shift manually its brings the car alive. After learning that little tid bit with the BMW i was very very happy with the tranny. I can honestly say the BMW has by far the best sport mode I have ever driven - it drives like its a manual but in auto (quick shifts, perfect rpm downshifts and upshifts - no complaints) Now on the G37 it is by far one of the worst trannys I have ever driven with. Auto drives like a grandma with hesitation to top it off... Now sport mode is all over the place sloppy sloppy sloppy... Upshifts when it shouldnt, too agressivly downshifts, slams into gear some times, lags to down shift almost causing accidents, etc. etc. etc. etc.... There is enough evidence to support my claims on this forum...

5. G37x its cheaper and much better value - Performance is amazing! I love the power BUT the 335 will still take you - not by much but it will. Its a draw in this area.

6. G37x interior is nicer in my opinion.. I like the dash, seats, etc. much better over the BMW.

7. G37 is much nosier... though I like the growl of the motor... My wife hates it.. I went from not knowing I was moving to now it sounds like a muscle car when accelerating.. I like it but some may not.

8. G37 look I think is much sportier - but if you get the M package (not the M series car) the BMW beats it out I think.. its a toss up though - Definitely get the Aero package - it hands down makes the G look hot!

9. Support is the same BUT BMW does have free maintenance - this could be a factor depending on what you pay for the car - do your homework on the pricing side and factor in oil change, tire rotation, breaks and wiper replacement (once a year) into your calculations.

10. Generally quality is the same - though I never had a mechanical issue with the BMW the tranny on my G I think is starting to slip or exhibit some issues - unfortunately another forum member just posted (see above) the same exact issue which most likely is a design defect not specifically something wrong with my tranny. I will see (thank god its leased).

Soooo.... net net... now that I have driven both cars and owned both (excluding the bigger engine int he 335) I probably would have gone for the 335 now in hindsight if money is NOT a factor. If it is.. then G is a very good option - just make sure you get the extended warrantee.. I just dont trust this tranny!

Good Luck!
My experience with my 2010 G37x mirrors that of mikelebron. I've owned many cars in the past and this car's tranny is the absolute worst of them all, even more than my 2007 328i's. There is a reason why this car costs significantly less than a 335i, there is no free lunch and corners need to be cut somewhere to make up for the difference.

The only reason I went for this instead of the 335i was the price difference because at that time I couldn't justify spending that much money, however, I will not be replacing this vehicle with another G37 unless Infiniti makes some drastic changes and eliminates these shortcomings which ruin the overall driving experience.

Make sure you take the car for a long test drive before buying it to get a good feel of the transmission because only you can decide whether it will be a deal breaker for you or not.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:36 PM
speedster100

2 years in with my G37XS and I have no complaints, love the car to death. I drove Nissan Maxima's until the G so it was a big step up in car, power and engineering.

If all you are worried about is the 7AT I wouldn't worry about it unless of course you are going to be racing on the streets everday.

The car just plain rocks overall and way cheaper than the BMW's, my buddies BMW is in the shop a couple times a month. Touch wood mine hasn't had an issue yet and the only time it is in the shop is for oil & grease......
Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jddssc121
I went back and forth between a 335 and a G37 (328 was too slow, the new F30 is a lot better)

Yes, the 3 series handles/rides better. I like the Infiniti interior much more. To me it came down to the extra cost.... the 335 just wasn't worth the extra 10K for the better ride. It IS better, just not 10K better as far as I am concerned.... like others have said - 90% of the car for 75% of the price.... Only you can decide if that last 10% is worth it for you.....
I was offered $43,500 for an almost fully loaded 335ix just without the sport package last year, I recall MSRP was around 53K, almost 10K off, but I let it pass. I was not a big fan of the bad turbo lags and BMW reliability. Forget about the free maintenance as the service interval is ridiculously long, 12K oil changes, really? Did I mention the car has no dipsticks? Why does people want run-flats is beyond me, to save the expense of a spare? The auto tranny was better just because it was a 5-speed, so good luck with the 8-speed from the new 12'. The interior was too tight, leather quality was sub-par for the price, cardboard like stiff. Just to list a few. I have no regret getting my 12' G37x, great car, zero issue so far. Take care of your ride, and it will take care of you.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM
accohn12

Originally Posted by 00Max00
I was offered $43,500 for an almost fully loaded 335ix just without the sport package last year, I recall MSRP was around 53K, :
That's crazy about the 335i...a $53K'ish MSRP w/out the sport package. The MSRP on my loaded G37xS was $44,405. Yes, arguments can obviously be made that the 335i is a better car, but I really can't see how anyone can make an argument that it's worth an extra $12K'ish, or about 20%.

Quick Reply: Considering buying. How satisfied are you with your G37X purchase?