G37 Sedan

Show off your Sedans!

Search this Thread

Old Today, 03:45 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You talking about flat black plastics? We don't have much of that in the G, except under the hood. My wife's car, and my kid's Hyundai, however... plastic cladding galore!

And you know what works really, really well on that stuff? Meguiars Tire Gel. I swear it.
The lower grill on my front bumper became pretty faded (was parked outdoors for about 5 years, with the front end getting daily sun exposure).

Stuff called “solution finish” got the plastic trim back to a nice, deep black. And it has lasted. I believe SF is technically a dye.
Old Today, 04:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,717 Likes on 3,523 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
The lower grill on my front bumper became pretty faded (was parked outdoors for about 5 years, with the front end getting daily sun exposure).

Stuff called “solution finish” got the plastic trim back to a nice, deep black. And it has lasted. I believe SF is technically a dye.
It's been a while since I tried anything new, been using tire gel for so long. I remember a product called Back to Black that was garbage. I don't have a high opinion about stuff from Mothers.

Mequiars, on the other hand.
Old Today, 04:44 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Krzysztof47
As for hard water spots, the trick to it is you need to fully dry the surface with a proper towel (if this is from washing on your own, sprinklers and other sources is another story), that way no deposits get left behind. Of course, easier said then done. The fix for removing hard water spots is using a acidic gel, 3D it's called eraser gel and Chemical Guys makes a similar product. Though that type of product you really, I mean really have to be careful with. You have only a short work envelope (I think 1 minute) to apply the gel and then you need to neutralize it with product such as 3D water-less wash and fully clean the surface. It will etch glass and cause damage if left on for a longer.

Of course, the alternative to washing with hard water is to use a product such as a foaming waterless wash was, 3D makes this too as well as other companies. I can try Eraser Gel the next time I am there as I would want to show her how to use the product: https://www.chemicalguys.com/product...r-spot-remover

As for trim "restorers" I believe most will just wash off or not last a meaningful amount of time and you simply just live with it. I could be wrong, but this is what I know from what I have seen.
I have always used Chemical Guys Bare Bones Dark shine for black trim and it works really well. Once a year I spent about 1-2 hours details the lower black grill with this stuff and it looks new for 6-8 months.

Thanks for the tip on the water spots as my daughter lives in an area where it will rain hard, then the sun pops out and dries everything up in an hour. Her car is really spotted now. I had her try Magic Eraser as that sometimes works. No cigar.

It is satisfying to see her want to take care of the car and keeping it looking as new as when she lived at home. Wish my son would do the same.

Last edited by socketz67; Today at 05:20 PM.
Old Today, 05:06 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Thread reminded me the car is overdue for a wash. Weekend activity if the weather holds up

Old Today, 05:24 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

It's been a while since I tried anything new, been using tire gel for so long. I remember a product called Back to Black that was garbage. I don't have a high opinion about stuff from Mothers.

Mequiars, on the other hand.
Agree. The “blackeners” are hit and miss and Mothers lost their way after the time in the sun as the best aluminum mag wheel polish.

Adam’s tire shine is now my favorite tire dressing. I’ve lost count of how many others I’ve tried.

Last edited by socketz67; Today at 06:05 PM.
Old Today, 05:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by socketz67
Adam’s tire shine is now my favorite tire dressing. I’ve lost count of how many others I’ve tried.
I use the spray on tire cleaner/dressing and a wheel shield. Those wheel shields are awesome for that stuff.
Old Today, 06:08 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

I use the spray on tire cleaner/dressing and a wheel shield. Those wheel shields are awesome for that stuff.
@Rochester Wheel shield is a ceramic/silicon coating of sorts? I had a couple of bad experiences with wheel cleaners, so I normally avoid applying anything to the wheels other than soap & water or wax.

The chrome wheels are even more particular than the painted ones. The chrome shop recommended using nitrogen in the tires vs air as it significantly reduces corrosion to the chrome on the inside of the wheel.

Last edited by socketz67; Today at 07:50 PM.
Old Today, 08:02 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Thread reminded me the car is overdue for a wash. Weekend activity if the weather holds up
Still love the 3.7 fender badges.
Old Today, 09:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by socketz67
@Rochester Wheel shield is a ceramic/silicon coating of sorts?
It's a round plastic shield you put over the wheel when spraying product on the sidewall. It's perfect really. I have one that's 18" and one that's 19". Very handy.