G37 Sedan

Show off your Sedans!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
18" forged rims? Oh, I bet they're pretty lightweight. The kind of weight difference that you can actually feel in the handling... which is the whole point as he carves up those back roads to Vegas. Amirite, Brad?

Pretty close there J, I was also wanting a bit more sidewall to soften the ride, those 20s w/ coilovers isn't the best for a couple over 50 on 1600 mile road trips. Also a BBK stuffed behind 18s looks kinda
Old 05-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I hope they're lighter than 46.2lbs each
I read that and thought, "since when do I speak like a 5th grader" lol I get lazy on here. As for the 46 lbs. that's not bad with tires? Lol
Old 05-10-2016, 09:50 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Got my Z1 transmission mount installed today! mind = blown @ how incredible the car feels and more importantly sounds. At least in the cabin. In the city I shut off the music just to hear it burble through the gears. Best $200 I've ever spent. . . . Except that one time in Taiwan of course.

Name:  5EA96DB3-06DC-4FE6-8803-67F09D7F9D8B_zpsre7mes66.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  247.2 KB
The following users liked this post:
Daddy Fat Sacs (05-12-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack
Got my Z1 transmission mount installed today! mind = blown @ how incredible the car feels and more importantly sounds. At least in the cabin. In the city I shut off the music just to hear it burble through the gears. Best $200 I've ever spent. . . . Except that one time in Taiwan of course.

I'm confused it changes the sound? I don't get how a transmission can change the sound? I do understand the firmness in shifting tho
Old 05-10-2016, 09:59 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I don't know either honestly. But it did. At least in the cabin. May not be audibly different from outside but it sounds way beefier inside. Almost like a Subaru with a fart can but more refined
Old 05-10-2016, 10:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricio1991
I'm confused it changes the sound? I don't get how a transmission can change the sound? I do understand the firmness in shifting tho
I was surprised by that to, but I'm loving it.

There's a resonance transmitted throughout the drivetrain into other areas of the car. IDK what it is specifically, but there's definitely a new sound... a visceral growl to the car that just wasn't there before.

RWD owners really out to give this some serious consideration. It's not just a 6MT thing.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 PM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

There's a resonance transmitted throughout the drivetrain into other areas of the car. IDK what it is specifically, but there's definitely a new sound... a visceral growl to the car that just wasn't there before.

RWD owners really out to give this some serious consideration. It's not just a 6MT thing.
I was on the fence about getting one. Looks like I might be making this the next upgrade.

As for the sound, it's just because of the change in material. Using soft rubber mounts, or fluid packed bushings, can remove unwanted sounds and vibrations. Same reason why they use that Crap for the differential as well. I drove my buddy's fully built g35 with solid motor mounts and solid diff bushings and the vibration/noise was outrageous. I don't see how people daily with solid diff bushing. The humming would drive me insane. But I'll be partying with z1 next week at z dayz. I'll get a true answer for you guys because I'm just assuming it's the same as the diff bushing lol

Last edited by Gregor12; 05-11-2016 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:39 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts

Nice to know!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:35 AM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindows7
Thank you thank you!

I live in nassau county. If you could recommend a shop thatd be awesome, and if youre in the NYC area id love to hear what theyre like in person because im between RHFC and then the ART pipes.
I'm out in Suffolk but we can set up something one day. The shop is all out motorworks in Hempstead. Didn't charge much for customization plus install and they do quality work.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:55 AM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregor12
Also, these are probably the last pics ill be posting until i make some changes… got my eye on a few sets of wheels. tired of buying whatever good deal I find and just being “ok” with it lol
You just go ahead and shoot those wheels my way when you get a new set, fam.

Originally Posted by Mindows7
visual stuff
- Niche M157 19x9.5 +45 wrapped in Pilot super sports
Love the forms so much. Hardcore contemplating the M158s for my black G.

You're not authorized to be buying new rims without talking about it for months and garnering forum consensus. You know that.
Freakin lol
Old 05-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I haven't been on here in a while, but I NEED to do something to my car. $200 for better shift feel and sound? I'm in! Do you guys have a link to the part where you bought it?
Old 05-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Furlow

Nevermind, just looked it up and ordered from Z1 direct. I wanted to get the motor mounts too but $700 for my shop to install. WTF! I'll have to wait until the stock ones wear out to do that...

Can't wait!
Old 05-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by Furlow
Nevermind, just looked it up and ordered from Z1 direct. I wanted to get the motor mounts too but $700 for my shop to install. WTF! I'll have to wait until the stock ones wear out to do that...

Can't wait!
Install of the transmission mount is a snap for your shop. They might even only charge you 1/2 hour labor. Worse case it's a minimum 1 hour charge.

Motor mounts are a different story. Figure 2 to 4 hours, or a full day quote if they're hedging their bets... Which it sounds like they did exactly that.

I was driving around again today, now that I'm newly motivated to enjoy the car again. And now that I'm a few days into this mod, I'm chill about the motor mounts. They're still on my list, but no longer a priority. NVH in small doses is just fine. I don't want to have to feel like I'm wrestling with the car 100% of the time... just more often than otherwise.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-12-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Furlow

Install of the transmission mount is a snap for your shop. They might even only charge you 1/2 hour labor. Worse case it's a minimum 1 hour charge.

Motor mounts are a different story. Figure 2 to 4 hours, or a full day quote if they're hedging their bets... Which it sounds like they did exactly that.

I was driving around again today, now that I'm newly motivated to enjoy the car again. And now that I'm a few days into this mod, I'm chill about the motor mounts. They're still on my list, but no longer a priority. NVH in small doses is just fine. I don't want to have to feel like I'm wrestling with the car 100% of the time... just more often than otherwise.
Yeah I noticed your write up on the short shifter and tranny mount, good stuff as always from you. I think I'm going to go with just the tranny mount as well. I've been wanting a short shifter too, but with my titanium **** (which shortened the overall height already), I'm hesitant to go any lower.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:38 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts

tim for me to install the awd bypass switch lol

Quick Reply: Show off your Sedans!