G37 Sedan

Show off your Sedans!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
IMO you'll be very happy with the combination of the Tanabe axle back and HFC's. I ran the Tanabe exhaust with Berk HFC's for several years and loved that set-up, especially after adding the Tanabe Y-pipe as well. I've since tried 2 other full cat-back exhaust set-ups (FI and custom) and keep coming back to the Tanabe axle back, as everything else just seems to have too much drone for my tastes. I'm currently running the Tanabe by itself (no HFC's) along with a Tanabe Y-Pipe and it is pretty mild, but still noticeable louder than the stock set-up.
I wish I could benefit from the Tanabe Y-pipe, but it's not AWD friendly and I don't want to remove cats for HFC or test pipes due to emissions inspections or messing with the AFR. I'm probably going to swap the stock resonators in the midpipe for Vibrant resonators. There's a clip on YouTube of that combo and it sounds pretty good.
The following users liked this post:
mrig37 (04-02-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:43 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by PGg35s
Thanks, they definitely make a difference.

Greenwood..15 mins south of Indy. How about you?

Wow, small world! My Sister lives in Indy and my parents live in Columbus, IN, so I get out that way quite often. I almost moved out that way and even looked at houses in Greenwood many, many years ago when I was offered a job at Enkei (yes, the wheel manufacturer). I ended up turning the job down because my wife didn't want to live that close to my family. I even bought my Volk GT30's from a guy in Greenwood and shipped them back to SoCal.

Originally Posted by the93owner
Got the Tanabe exhaust put on today... First impressions: sounds like stock can't tell the difference between stock at all from inside the cabin. I mean I knew it was quiet but not this quiet! It's used (seller advised 7k miles) so I imagine it's had plenty of time to break in. Oh well, at least it looks nice!

Congrats on your Tanabe exhaust. Can't believe it sounds like stock. Mine sounded considerably better than stock with just the Tanabe mufflers, specially at higher RPM's, but still nice and quiet when cruising. Maybe try adding the Tanabe Y-Pipe and/or HFC's? That would definitely liven it up a little.

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I'm not sure if I've asked you this, but do you have any videos of the custom Tanabe? I was debating on adding a resonated x-pipe to my setup.

You did ask me this via PM. I know I have some sounds clips of that Frankexhaust set-up somewhere, but I can't seem to find them in any of my files. Only thing I can figure is that maybe they didn't get transferred over to my new computer when I switched computers years ago. I did send you some pics of the custom piping, didn't I? If you decide to do this all I would suggest is using the longest resonators you can fit. I still have the Invidia resonated mid-pipe that I used and can measure those resonators for you if you want, but they definitely weren't enough to eliminate all of the drone. That set-up did sound REALLY good at almost all RPM's except it just had too much drone for my tastes right around 3000-3200 RPM's, which is right at the 75 - 80 MPH cruising speed for me on the highway.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:41 PM
PGg35s

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Show off your sedans!

^ My girlfriends brother works at Enkei and lives in Columbus. So does her family. What's wrong with living close to the family? Lol
Old 03-31-2016, 09:39 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Wow, small world! My Sister lives in Indy and my parents live in Columbus, IN, so I get out that way quite often. I almost moved out that way and even looked at houses in Greenwood many, many years ago when I was offered a job at Enkei (yes, the wheel manufacturer). I ended up turning the job down because my wife didn't want to live that close to my family. I even bought my Volk GT30's from a guy in Greenwood and shipped them back to SoCal.

Congrats on your Tanabe exhaust. Can't believe it sounds like stock. Mine sounded considerably better than stock with just the Tanabe mufflers, specially at higher RPM's, but still nice and quiet when cruising. Maybe try adding the Tanabe Y-Pipe and/or HFC's? That would definitely liven it up a little.

You did ask me this via PM. I know I have some sounds clips of that Frankexhaust set-up somewhere, but I can't seem to find them in any of my files. Only thing I can figure is that maybe they didn't get transferred over to my new computer when I switched computers years ago. I did send you some pics of the custom piping, didn't I? If you decide to do this all I would suggest is using the longest resonators you can fit. I still have the Invidia resonated mid-pipe that I used and can measure those resonators for you if you want, but they definitely weren't enough to eliminate all of the drone. That set-up did sound REALLY good at almost all RPM's except it just had too much drone for my tastes right around 3000-3200 RPM's, which is right at the 75 - 80 MPH cruising speed for me on the highway.
I have bad memory haha. Sorry. It would be cool if you could measure those resonators. If I go resonated xpipe, I think I could pull off 2.25in piping without any crazy drone.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:21 PM
Swen94
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Working on a muffler delete right now. Car looked so low with the rear tires on a ramp, I just had to take a quick picture:-)
Old 04-01-2016, 12:16 PM
PA_ALL_DAY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-01-2016, 04:42 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Very nice! ^^^
Old 04-01-2016, 05:21 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by PA_ALL_DAY

I love those shots!! That color is amazing!
Old 04-01-2016, 05:31 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by PA_ALL_DAY
Nice wheels dude! Was this taken at a gas station? It looks like a random carport in the middle of the parking lot
Old 04-02-2016, 12:35 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Thanks 2G. I can't stand obnoxious and super loud stuff. I want subtle but clear that there is something aftermarket going on. May eventually get a Y pipe or resonated TPs maybe. But we will know Monday!
Old 04-02-2016, 10:53 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Moments before the Tanabe's went on...looks like a complete ghost town

Show off your Sedans!-jfmcq8s.png
VIVID (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 10:57 AM
mrig37

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PGg35s
^ My girlfriends brother works at Enkei and lives in Columbus. So does her family. What's wrong with living close to the family? Lol
Does you brother in law that work at enkei, can he get you some wheels?
Old 04-02-2016, 10:59 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by the93owner
Moments before the Tanabe's went on...looks like a complete ghost town

Thanks.

Where is that? Are they doing the install? Wow!! And only one day before the NGC meet!!

We'll have to talk about making upgrades right before an event. (like in my case: coils, wheels and tires two days before a 1400 mile trip. LOL. )

Sean
Old 04-02-2016, 11:09 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VIVID
Thanks.

Where is that? Are they doing the install? Wow!! And only one day before the NGC meet!!

We'll have to talk about making upgrades right before an event. (like in my case: coils, wheels and tires two days before a 1400 mile trip. LOL. )

Sean
It's a gas station in Rockville. I know the mechanics there and they do aftermarket installations. One of them has a V35 sedan that's pretty modded out. He did my coilovers and camber kit installations as well. I just so happened to snap a picture while there was no one at the station and with some pretty dramatic cloud coverage LOL. Didn't notice any of that while I was taking it.

Unfortunately we're at minimum staffing at my job on Sunday morning so that means I can't take leave I'm trying to find a cover but no one wants to work Sundays
VIVID (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 01:45 PM
PGg35s

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Show off your sedans!

Originally Posted by mrig37
Does you brother in law that work at enkei, can he get you some wheels?
Yup. Can't remember how much the discount he gets is though.. I'll ask.

Quick Reply: Show off your Sedans!