G37 Sedan

TrueCar.com

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 PM
llee916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TrueCar.com

Has anyone had any experience with TrueCar.com? They seem to be very popular now and quite a number of dealerships use them. If you're not familiar with them, they have low pre-negotiated new car prices with certain dealerships. All you do is bring the pre-negotiated quote from their website to the specified dealership and there is no haggling involved.

TrueCar.com says this works with leases also. Anyone had any experience with them?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by llee916
Has anyone had any experience with TrueCar.com? They seem to be very popular now and quite a number of dealerships use them. If you're not familiar with them, they have low pre-negotiated new car prices with certain dealerships. All you do is bring the pre-negotiated quote from their website to the specified dealership and there is no haggling involved.

TrueCar.com says this works with leases also. Anyone had any experience with them?
I used it to get my lease. 35,799 on my 6MT G37S which was about 7K off sticker. Doesn't hurt to try/use it. At least, it gives you an idea of what you should be paying.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:46 PM
llee916

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
I used it to get my lease. 35,799 on my 6MT G37S which was about 7K off sticker. Doesn't hurt to try/use it. At least, it gives you an idea of what you should be paying.
Damn. Wish I knew about them when I got my lease! 7K off the sticker for a lease sounds great. What was the residual on it and monthly?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Cheburashka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TrueCar is what I used to get my car. Got it exactly for what the paper stated. It seemed like a fair deal to me.

My father on the other hand, walked into an Acura dealership with the TrueCar print out and they gave him an additional 100 dollars off just to facilitate the sale.

Dealers don't have much choice in the matter anymore because if they don't sell according to the truecar price, someone else will. That leaves the dealer with excess inventory which will start to cost more money than the mfg. holdback allows.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 PM
FlatSix911

TrueCar is the way to go.
Saved me over $6K ... see this thread for details:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/buying-...r-or-usaa.html
Old 01-22-2012, 12:16 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Not sure if it was around April 2010, but if it was, I wish I knew about it.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Can you tell us how you got $7K off sticker through Truecar.

When I go to Truecar and try it, it only gives about 9% off sticker...not 16%
Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
also depends on region, incentives, etc. I used truecar and zag to compare quotes.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by tejasg37x

What he said. Let me know what I'm missing. I've been using it to price sedans for the Mrs. to purchase soon and it's not showing me discounts anywhere near that much locally or even in the search of national pricing. Obviously I want to save as much as possible but it's only showing me discounts of about $4187 off a sticker price of $44,345 as configured (9% off MSRP).
Old 01-22-2012, 05:35 PM
FlatSix911

Originally Posted by Black Betty
What he said. Let me know what I'm missing. I've been using it to price sedans for the Mrs. to purchase soon and it's not showing me discounts anywhere near that much locally or even in the search of national pricing. Obviously I want to save as much as possible but it's only showing me discounts of about $4187 off a sticker price of $44,345 as configured (9% off MSRP).
It's very easy to do if you follow these steps:
  • Go to TrueCar to get a quote for the model with options you want.
  • Print out the quote and take it to your local dealer.
  • Ask them beat the dealer cost price on the quote.
  • MSRP $43K - $6K = $37K = 14% discount (see example below).
  • Repeat at other dealers until you are satisfied.
Attached Thumbnails TrueCar.com-capture-g37.jpg  
Old 01-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
There's only 4 dealerships here in Houston. I don't know if any of them will sell below dealer invoice, but I'll see. It woukd be great if they will. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatSix911
It's very easy to do if you follow these steps:
  • Go to TrueCar to get a quote for the model with options you want.
  • Print out the quote and take it to your local dealer.
  • Ask them beat the dealer cost price on the quote.
  • MSRP $43K - $6K = $37K = 14% discount (see example below).
  • Repeat at other dealers until you are satisfied.
I did all that several times and it does not come out to $37,000 on the target price...look at the part where it says "target price" not the lowest price on the graph. Notice is says anything below $39,227 is "great price"...

The $37,590 that shows on this graph is most likely not what you are going to get the car for...just because that is lowest price on the graph, that does not mean that's what you will definitely get the car for...there is a part that shows target price and it is somewhere around market average that is reasonable. I doubt few will beat "actual dealer" cost...invoice, yes....if that was the case everyone would just always walk in and say give me the car below your actual cost.

Last edited by tejasg37x; 01-22-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 PM
FlatSix911

I did all that several times and it does not come out to $37,000 on the target price...look at the part where it says "target price" not the lowest price on the graph. Notice is says anything below $39,227 is "great price"...

The $37,590 that shows on this graph is most likely not what you are going to get the car for...just because that is lowest price on the graph, that does not mean that's what you will definitely get the car for...there is a part that shows target price and it is somewhere around market average that is reasonable. I doubt few will beat "actual dealer" cost...invoice, yes....if that was the case everyone would just always walk in and say give me the car below your actual cost.
Take a look at the TrueCar target price range and you will notice it goes down to dealer cost. That is where you want to negotiate from.
Don't take my word for it ... go out and test the market and see if you can get below dealer cost.
If your market is competitive like the SF Bay Area, you should have no problem making a great deal
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait maybe I missed something...

but if you buy a car from a dealership in the truecar.com network you buy the car for exactly that price... no negotiations necc. but that range you posted doesn't include the packages or options... so be sure to factor that into your pricing.

the graph is really to assess what is considered a good value for purchase... sort of what edmunds does with their TMV, essentially based on what other people are paying for the car.

but yeah like just said. the more competitive the market or higher the inventory, you might score a good deal. What I do, I give the sales person an option. spend the next 6 hours negotiating with me... or spend the next 30 seconds letting me pay what I consider reasonable. I'm not asking for below dealership invoice or anything.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 AM
sharkman

I used truecar for my price... I configured the car with just what I wanted and they provided me with 3 dealers that would match the truecar price:

Sticker 46250
Invoice 40669
Truecar 38644.

Brought the truecar list to my Infiniti dealer (one not on their list) and he gave me the car for 38644 and threw in 4 years of Infiniti Personal Assistant and Illuminated kick plates.

sharkman

Quick Reply: TrueCar.com