G37 Sedan

anyone drive their g with VDC off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:57 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sdaigle240
vdc @ slow speeds - can get you in a sticky situation when your expecting/needing power. it can also throw you off on turns, you turn with decent power expecting neutral/ a tad oversteer, instead power cuts and suddenly ur pushing like a bulldozer.

vdc @ high speeds - can save you bunz when your pushing it on some back roads or a nice on/off ramp.

i drive with it off, unless im driving all highway. maybe im just used to rwd with out it.
The x is different. At any rate when the roads are wet I don't tempt fate. While the VDC won't save your hide when youre driving like a jerk, it's a safety measure. I've never had the issue step on the gas in a turn and have the power cut. However i usually don't have the need to floor it.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
The x is different. At any rate when the roads are wet I don't tempt fate. While the VDC won't save your hide when youre driving like a jerk, it's a safety measure. I've never had the issue step on the gas in a turn and have the power cut. However i usually don't have the need to floor it.
Very true that the X is different...it's very hard to break the tires loose and VDC doesn't come into play as much.
In my 350Z it was so easy to break the tires loose and the VDC would then cut power.
Funny thing is, my G37X Sedan seems quicker than the 350Z too. Of course it doesn't handle quite the same in the turns though...

Last edited by tejasg37x; 01-06-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VDC OFF everyday, in winter, when I'm not on the highway.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 AM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Second instinct to shut off VDC as soon as I get in the car...exceptions are snow on the road, heavy rain, and sometimes highway driving...

also, personally, I think that with VDC ON it eats away at the brake pads faster, just my opinion though...
also for the 'X' I feel like having the VDC off allows for the AWD system to be used/activated more effectively instead of just braking a slipping wheel, power is averted to where it needs to be.
Not sure about others but I'd rather go faster than slower...
Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 AM
harp00n

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MistAminER112
Second instinct to shut off VDC as soon as I get in the car...exceptions are snow on the road, heavy rain, and sometimes highway driving...

also, personally, I think that with VDC ON it eats away at the brake pads faster, just my opinion though...
also for the 'X' I feel like having the VDC off allows for the AWD system to be used/activated more effectively instead of just braking a slipping wheel, power is averted to where it needs to be.
+100

Love mine KPT module!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by MistAminER112

I'd rather go slower, keeps down the speeding tickets. Seriously. I do not see any need to turn off the vdc in "everyday" driving, especially slick weather. It's just another aid between you and a fender bender.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM
blackhawksfan81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdaigle240
well ill say it again... pulling out into traffic with vdc on can be down right dangerous. ill take spinning tires over a power cut all day in that situation and most others.

vdc is for highway....rain...and people who probably shouldn't have rwd, haha
That's ridiculous. Pulling out in front of traffic is what's downright dangerous, not driving with VDC turned on.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:04 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Dub_37S
I have heard different things in answer to this: when you turn off the vdc the computer will still activate traction control under certain conditions- yes or no? And if yes, what are those conditions?
I would say that in the case of the 2nd Gen RWD G35/37, VDC off means no nannies.
2007 G35 sedan figure 8s - YouTube

In the case of the X it's a different story. My X could never break free, on dry pavement, long enough to find out.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:33 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Yeah I use to. Well that was until I ended up losing control coming out of a turn and barely managed to save it from crashing into a pole. I keep mine on at all time now
Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I would say that in the case of the 2nd Gen RWD G35/37, VDC off means no nannies.
2007 G35 sedan figure 8s - YouTube

In the case of the X it's a different story. My X could never break free, on dry pavement, long enough to find out.
I had a 2003 350Z before I bought my 2010 X Sedan this year.
People were always saying when turning off the VDC there was still some traction control taking place on the Z. I don't think so...I could do to my Z exactly what was done in that video of the G.
I agree about the X...it wont really break traction because of it's AWD system. Sure does make for quicker launches than the Z ever did.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
thebals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been driving my G37x with VDC off since i read this thread a week back. I agree with others that its difficult for the G37x to break traction even after VDC is turned off. The car does feel slightly quicker to launch off of a stand still on dry and moist (not really wet) pavement.

I would probably be keeping the VDC ON in rain and/or snow and/or if the temperatures are below freezing (below freezing usually equals drastic drop in all-season tire grip)
Old 01-06-2012, 08:12 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by soolman32
Yeah I use to. Well that was until I ended up losing control coming out of a turn and barely managed to save it from crashing into a pole. I keep mine on at all time now
This. Why tempt fate if you don't have to. If you are at the track a whole different story. But on the street?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by G37_SOME
vdc allows you to have a little fun without pushing the car to far and ending up in a ditch. .
ran into this youtube clip and reminded me of this thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:18 PM
mtrsprt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With VDC off, all forms of traction control under applied throttle (including power management) are shut down however, all "BRAKING" enhanced systems (4 corner ABS) are still active.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by Mike24
ran into this youtube clip and reminded me of this thread
That video was priceless.

Quick Reply: anyone drive their g with VDC off?