G37 Sedan

2012 g37s

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:50 AM
Dub_37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 g37s

I am really happy to be making this post. After finally realizing that our 9 year old Suby WRX needed to be replaced (sob), my wife and I looked at all of the vehicle types around this price range for months. Based on the things we do/don't care about there was no contest- a black/black 37S with all packages. That and the really good end of the year deal we got from Gunn Infiniti in San Antonio TX. They were 4K under what my local dealership claimed was their absolute lowest, in fact the locals flat out told me that they believed it was a scam. Nope!

After coming from so much time driving my lightly modded WRX I wasn't sure what to expect, but after a couple days I am extremely pleased to say the least. Having a smooth power band instead of bossing my turbo around and clutching all day is a trip!

I am dutifully following the recommended break-in period recommendations, hard as that is. Is the car's learning of my driving style going to be "tainted" by the way that I am driving now vs. post 1,250 miles? The dealership guy mentioned that after driving so many that he can easily tell by the car's performance what kind of driver they are.

Also, please tell me there is some way to turn off or change the MPG monitor under the speedo/tach!

Great forum y'all got going on here, it is one of the places for research that led us to getting the car.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Awesome buy, glad you're happy with it!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:15 AM
chocaholic

There are two flat/square-ish buttons to the upper right of the instrument cluster (upper corner). The top one will toggle you through the various displays. I usually leave mine on the temp.

Glad you're enjoying your car. Good question about "learning". My '12 37LE has only 300 miles of very gentle driving on it, although I don't see this ever becoming an adrenaline machine....will use the Ducati for that!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:34 AM
zoner

Welcome to the forum! Hope you have many smiles to come.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! They are great cars that you can't go wrong with.

Like was stated on the upper right hand side of the gauge cluster you will see a button with a square painted on it, that toggles you through the various screens. The button right below it with the circle painted on it will reset what ever screen you are in assuming MPGs, time traveled etc. You really should read you owners manual as there are a lot of different settings etc that can be set by these buttons. If you mess around with it you will probably figure it out but the manual definately helps the learning cruve.

Good luck and keep us posted on your great find!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Dub_37S

Ah yes thanks, I did read the manual but it was kinda late at night, will go through again.

Another question I have is, just how hard can you really push these cars, ie is she built for WOT constant playing? For the last couple of years I have had to back off on playing with my Suby as it is my daily driver and so I have a light foot habit that I hope I can retrain.

Related question- is the accepted wisdom around here to get all of the warranty you can possibly afford or waste of money?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:50 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Dub_37S
Ah yes thanks, I did read the manual but it was kinda late at night, will go through again.

Another question I have is, just how hard can you really push these cars, ie is she built for WOT constant playing? For the last couple of years I have had to back off on playing with my Suby as it is my daily driver and so I have a light foot habit that I hope I can retrain.

Related question- is the accepted wisdom around here to get all of the warranty you can possibly afford or waste of money?
Congrats on the new G, a Black on Black S is a beautiful machine.
The Gs are meant to be driven hard, they have a proven track record and the VQ motors are tried & true and are consistently mentioned among some of the best motors made. I've had some pretty high speed extended runs and the beast just wants to play
Even during break in it's no problem getting up to 6k for a few short bursts, just don't lock into a certain rpm for extended drives (so keep cruise control off for the first 1200 miles).
I wouldn't worry too much about some massive extended warranty, things tend to show up pretty early if they're going to show up at all. But that's totally your call, these cars do have much better than avg reliability FWIW.

Enjoy your new G and throw us some pics when you can
Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome!

You have the whole original warranty period to think about the extension, so don't stress too much.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess when you get the car for that low of a price you dont get a proper delivery lol, thats bad on your salesman. Grats on the car!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:26 PM
G37trella

Congrats,after the break in you will love it even more
Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Dub_37S

Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
I guess when you get the car for that low of a price you dont get a proper delivery lol, thats bad on your salesman. Grats on the car!
Actually I was in a super hurry to drive many hours to get back home in time to give my wife our lucky New Year's kiss at midnight. Let's just say that the car pulled it off with 30 minutes to spare . The people at Gunn in San Antonio were truly great, can't recommend them enough. They knew all about my big hurry to get home so they made sure I was in and out of there with a new car in less than 2 hours.

They said that the reason they could be so low on the price (temporarily) is that it was the end of the year and they wanted to move some inventory, and also that the sales people do not work on commission so they aren't so focussed on the bottom line. They also mentioned that if they had those prices all of the time that they would have maybe 3 employees total hehe.

We are gonna road trip exactly far enough today so that we finish the break in when we get back. Thanks for the advice, I haven't even turned on the cruise yet. This car is awesome!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by Dub_37S
Actually I was in a super hurry to drive many hours to get back home in time to give my wife our lucky New Year's kiss at midnight. Let's just say that the car pulled it off with 30 minutes to spare . The people at Gunn in San Antonio were truly great, can't recommend them enough. They knew all about my big hurry to get home so they made sure I was in and out of there with a new car in less than 2 hours.

They said that the reason they could be so low on the price (temporarily) is that it was the end of the year and they wanted to move some inventory, and also that the sales people do not work on commission so they aren't so focussed on the bottom line. They also mentioned that if they had those prices all of the time that they would have maybe 3 employees total hehe.

We are gonna road trip exactly far enough today so that we finish the break in when we get back. Thanks for the advice, I haven't even turned on the cruise yet. This car is awesome!!!
Deals are all over the place if you look. I got a G37s Sedan 6MT for 35799, which was 2700 under invoice. They need to move volume and there are deals to be had, more so when Infiniti throws in some money.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 AM
Dub_37S

Oh we looked at every dealership in every state for days. There was exactly one black G37S that had all the packages (had to have those specs) at a price we could go for, so we grabbed it before the low apr went away.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:45 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Congrats on the new car and welcome to the forum.