G37 Sedan

The Snow Button

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Dabo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Snow Button

OK, I know that snow button makes the transmission shift at lower RPMs, but does it do anything else?

I'm hoping it locks the all wheel drive system into a 50/50 front/rear bias instead of favoring the rear wheels the way it does under normal conditions. Am I on the right track here?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Only thing the snow button does is control the throttle so that when you step on it your tires don't slip. I belive it turns off at > 40mph too.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Dabo

Originally Posted by OB G
Only thing the snow button does is control the throttle so that when you step on it your tires don't slip. I belive it turns off at > 40mph too.
Well that sucks. Kind of primitive I think.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I actually enjoyed using snow mode this past weekend while visiting my family in Michigan. Snow mode had me blazing through traffic!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 PM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to have to agree with OB G about the snow botton controling the throtle so you are less likely to spin the tires. Don't know about the 40 mph limit though.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:18 AM
XsG

Snow mode reduces throttle input and also sets power distribution at 50/50 front/rear up to 12 mph at which point it reverts to normal automatic torque vectoring.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:48 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OB G
I used the "snow mode" all week in the snow in New Mexico this week...besides slowing the throttle response, I also noticed it stayed in gear longer before up shifting.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:46 AM
Dabo

Originally Posted by XsG
Snow mode reduces throttle input and also sets power distribution at 50/50 front/rear up to 12 mph at which point it reverts to normal automatic torque vectoring.
Now that's what I was hoping to hear! I really hope you're right! That's exactly what Snow Mode should do! Thanks...
Old 12-31-2011, 04:07 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by XsG
According to my research, the snow button on the G37x does not lock the torque 50/50 between front and rear up till 12mph (at least up and including the 2010 model year). I have yet to see anyone produce verifiable documentation from Nissan/Infiniti that says it does this. All snow mode switch does is decrease the throttle response.

From the Infiniti 2010 G37 Sedan Service Manual, page EC-513:

“SNOW MODE SWITCH:
The snow mode switch signal is sent to the “unified meter and A/C amp.” from the snow mode switch. The “unified meter and A/C amp.” then sends the signal to the ECM via the CAN communication line. The snow mode is used for driving or starting the vehicle on snowy roads or slippery areas. If the snow mode is activated, the vehicle speed will not accelerate as quickly as normal to avoid vehicle slip. In other words, ECM controls rapid engine torque change by controlling the electric throttle control actuator operating speed.”
Old 01-01-2012, 08:36 AM
XsG

Check out this previous post by GT-R regarding this issue:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-report-5.html
Old 01-01-2012, 11:48 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I’ve seen this before. The information in GT-R’s post is directly from an October 2003 NissanNews press release:
2004 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan All-Wheel Drive Model Offers All-Season Performance With Advanced ATTESA E-TS
NissanNews - 10/2003
and was also repeated by the The Auto Channel here:
2004 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan All-Wheel Drive Model Offers All-Season Performance With Advanced ATTESA E-TS

As much as I wish it were true, unfortunately, the statement that, “Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.”, has never been repeated or substantiated in any field service manual or technical publication from Nissan/Infiniti that I am aware of.

If anyone has found any additional authoritative information regarding the function of the snow button I hope they will post it here. Until then, personally, I’m inclined to believe the information in the Infiniti FSM for my car rather than this one 2003 NissanNews press release.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:52 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJohn
I’ve seen this before. The information in GT-R’s post is directly from an October 2003 NissanNews press release:
NissanNews - 10/2003
and was also repeated by the The Auto Channel here:

As much as I wish it were true, unfortunately, the statement that, “Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.”, has never been repeated or substantiated in any field service manual or technical publication from Nissan/Infiniti that I am aware of.

If anyone has found any additional authoritative information regarding the function of the snow button I hope they will post it here. Until then, personally, I’m inclined to believe the information in the Infiniti FSM for my car rather than this one 2003 NissanNews press release.
Like I posted in another thread, I actually used the snow mode last week on a trip to New Mexico. We drove in quite a bit of snow and ice in town and up and down the mountain to snowboard.

What I noticed was slower throttle response to help reduce slipping from over acceleration and longer time to up shift in gears...it tended to stay in lower gears longer than normal. I could not tell if it was in 50/50 power distribution to front and rear wheels up until 12 mph.

I can say that it performed very well in ice and snow.

As far as actual documentation on what it does...not sure.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:20 PM
XsG

Here's another link:
Snow mode - 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe AWD--photos - CNET Reviews
Old 01-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Dabo

I think it would be interesting to put the car in snow mode and see whether the front and rear wheels tend to break traction at the same frequency or if the rears break free far more often than the front...

Unfortunately, we've got no snow up in New England, so I can't do it. Is anyone else in a position to give it a go?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:03 PM
NCHIINFMNGR

on the early models 03-04 maybee 05-06 when the snow button is pressed, it changes throttle response and locks awd, but on newer models they got rid of locking awd and just throttle response is affected, i, pretty darn sure just did training, ill check for sure, i know an engineer at inf and will ask him and end this

Quick Reply: The Snow Button