G37 Sedan

The Snow Button

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by harryhidalgo

not exactly sure how reliable this is, but it seems to be the most concrete piece of evidence one way or another that we've seen.
</pre>

It came from a dealership sales dude? ----->
Old 02-28-2012, 12:43 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by devil2k
This issue can be overcome by braking early and always keep a very good distance between my car and the one in front of mine, which I do. Also accelerate & brake on straight, and ease off throttle in corners helps too. Still safer than people who brake late and accelerate through corners because they have AWD & winter tires.

A winter rally driver once said: "Know when you have grip and when you don't," which I think is a good point. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good your AWD or tires are, if you don't have grip, slow down.
If you really think driving on bald tires is OK because "you know how to drive", you should have your car taken off the road.
Driving on bald tires in any condition is dangerous to everyone around you.

Last edited by tejasg37x; 02-28-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:58 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jddssc121
Ok, i'll rephrase. An epic snow sedan or coupe
Ok, I'll bite, name some epic sedans that can plow through 2 feet of wet snow like butter with all-season tires.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:29 PM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Ok, I'll bite, name some epic sedans that can plow through 2 feet of wet snow like butter with all-season tires.
Where did 2 feet come from?

Let's define "epic sedan". At least what i meant by it

Epic snow sedan = Something that can get around in decent amounts of ice and/or snow. Climbing hills confidently, etc. A sedan that i would want to buy if i spent a lot of my life in snow (e.g. ski instructor, etc)

Like I said, I am not saying the G is terrible in snow. I am just saying that there are better sedans out there that handle snow better, and if you spend a lot of time in the snow you might want to consider that........ That's all.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:57 PM
g37guy01

Where did 2 feet come from?

Let's define "epic sedan". At least what i meant by it

Epic snow sedan = Something that can get around in decent amounts of ice and/or snow. Climbing hills confidently, etc. A sedan that i would want to buy if i spent a lot of my life in snow (e.g. ski instructor, etc)

Like I said, I am not saying the G is terrible in snow. I am just saying that there are better sedans out there that handle snow better, and if you spend a lot of time in the snow you might want to consider that........ That's all.
Im saying anything under 2 feet the G/BMW/CTS etc would probably be able to handle with ease. I picked 2 feet because a lot of AWD vehicles, STI,Audi etc would not be able to do it.

So what do you think is the definition of epic?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
If you really think driving on bald tires is OK because "you know how to drive", you should have your car taken off the road.
Driving on bald tires in any condition is dangerous to everyone around you.
Bald is exaggeration. The tread level is low, but still drivable. I don't know how to drive, I just know when to slow down.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 PM
jddssc121

Im saying anything under 2 feet the G/BMW/CTS etc would probably be able to handle with ease. I picked 2 feet because a lot of AWD vehicles, STI,Audi etc would not be able to do it.

So what do you think is the definition of epic?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM
g37guy01

Name, names please. The vehicle I would buy is a Forester, but it's not really a sedan and can easily handle 2+ feet of snow. If I spent my life in snow I would not buy any sedan, especially a performance oriented sedan, I would buy a CUV or real SUV.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Name, names please. The vehicle I would buy is a Forester, but it's not really a sedan and can easily handle 2+ feet of snow. If I spent my life in snow I would not buy any sedan, especially a performance oriented sedan, I would buy a CUV or real SUV.
True...when I lived in Idaho and Oregon, I always had a full size SUV for snow. I still have one even though I live back in Texas now.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
jddssc121

My Outback sedan was pretty epic....

A4 (while very disappointing in other areas) handles better than the X in snow.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 AM
g37guy01

Outback is not the vehicle I would own if I lived my life in snow. Oh well thx for the reply, to each their own. A4 wouldn't have made it in any of the last snow storms on the east coast. The car would have been buried.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For snow, my '02 Legacy Outback H6 3.0 VDC was indeed epic. More ground clearance than a regular Legacy (or a G). I never had a problem with snow getting too deep for clearance, something that happened with both of the Legacy GTs that followed it.

My '99 A4, meh. Decent in snow, but not as good as the G. They've probably improved since then.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 AM
Z-Fire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tejasg37x
I never said it was hard/dangerous to drive in the snow. I lived in Idaho and Oregon where there is lots of snow. I've driven in blizzards and up and down mountains more than you could possibly imagine. I recently drove all over the mountains covered in snow and ice in New Mexico with no issues...

I still don't see why you can't go over 5 mph with the TC on..if that's the case, you have a lead foot when you get on the accelerator. I had a 350Z and could easily drive it in the snow...drove it from Boise, ID to Portland, OR in a snowstorm. Never had a problem...

Like I said, you should never make fast maneuvers in snow...you should not put yourself in that position.

And yes, I understand exactly what you are saying by merging right into traffic from the median lane. That is for left turns and it's illegal to sit or drive in it to merge right...and unsafe, snow or no snow.

I don't think you're are gonna get very many responses that agree it's "best" to turn the TC when driving in snow.
I know this is an old post, but I just started reading this forum/site. It is not illegal to go into the 2 way turn lane in order to merge into trafic. Also if a driver has enough experience for a specific condition tcs/vdc off could be better. Also last year going over a pass I got stuck in my 350Z HAD to turn off tcs to feather some speed to get moving. So to merge quick enough to not screw the guy behind you he made the right choice. BTW I turn tcs bacK on after achieving decent speed to keep from a unexpected spin.