G37 Sedan

The Snow Button

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tazicon
i will say that 99% of the people who think they are such good drivers they need to keep the traction control turned off are the ones who really should be keeping it turned on.
+1,000,000
Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jddssc121
The X isn't all that epic in the snow. I mean it's better than RWD... but it's still a RWD biased AWD system.

I've owned just about every AWD brand (Audi, BMW, Subaru, etc) out there at some point in time, and I can say that if i lived in a HEAVY snow area, i would not be getting a G, even an AWD one....Where i live, it's mostly light snow in the winter, so my X works just fine...
You mean Audi, BMW works better than G37x? That's nonsense if you ask me. Only to put on snow tires and drive an real SUV (4WL) may give you a better experience in snow.

"Some models fitted with the ATTESA-ETS system, such as the Nissan RS4 Stagea, have a "S" button on the dash. This will bypass the control system of the ATESSA-ETS ecu and lock the transfer case into full 4wd. This is to be uses at low speeds in snowy and icy conditions only as understeer is greatly increased in this mode.

A reviewer said that the 2009 Infiniti G37's ATTESA-ETS had more sportiness and faster reaction time than competing AWD systems such as Audi's quattro, BMW's xDrive, and Mercedes-Benz's 4MATIC."
Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 00Max00
You mean Audi, BMW works better than G37x? That's nonsense if you ask me.
I've owned all 3, and have driven all 3 extensively in the snow. Have you?

Last edited by jddssc121; 02-27-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Here's the thing. I've had a cadre of AWD models including a Subaru, RWD BMW, Jeep with Quadra-drive.

I drove the G during the freak October storm that dumped over 15 inches in some parts of the east coast.

I didn't use the snow button, and the G rocked. IMO by the time the AWD system on the G is struggling you wouldn't be able to drive the G anyway as the the snow would be way over the front lip of the car.

The Gs ATTESA-ESA performance AWD might not be as good as a full-time AWD, but it provides the best in class handling, IMO, for what it is.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

In the part of Canada I live in, more specifically, north of Montana / North Dakota, we have about 6 month of winter (snows from Oct to Mar, sometimes Apr). Mine still handles great on bald tires...with VDC off.

I do keep VDC on on highways.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 PM
IgS

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
I will say that 99% of the people who think they are such good drivers they need to keep the traction control turned off are the ones who really should be keeping it turned on.
and people care how others prefer to drive because?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:28 AM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by g37guy01
The Gs ATTESA-ESA performance AWD might not be as good as a full-time AWD, but it provides the best in class handling, IMO, for what it is.
I agree....

I'm not saying it's bad. in fact I like it for where i live. I get a RWD car for 95% of the year, which is way more fun than a 50/50 AWD car all year 'round. All i am saying is if you need an epic snow machine, the G isn't it. There are better options out there. If you're just dealing with light snow for a few days out of the year, the G is more than adequate.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by devil2k
In the part of Canada I live in, more specifically, north of Montana / North Dakota, we have about 6 month of winter (snows from Oct to Mar, sometimes Apr). Mine still handles great on bald tires...with VDC off.

I do keep VDC on on highways.
Slowing/stopping the vehicle is part of the handling. Bald tires are useless unless your driving on warm dry pavement.
Please get new tires for the sake of the people around you
Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree....

I'm not saying it's bad. in fact I like it for where i live. I get a RWD car for 95% of the year, which is way more fun than a 50/50 AWD car all year 'round. All i am saying is if you need an epic snow machine, the G isn't it. There are better options out there. If you're just dealing with light snow for a few days out of the year, the G is more than adequate.
Correct, but if an epic snow machine is needed, all of the ellps are excluded. You are into a car that is not an ellps. Even an outback isn't an epic snow machine, although it's better than a G/TL/BMW/CTS etc. We're talking Jeep, Hummer, F150, GX 470, Escalade, Infiniti Q, etc.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 AM
harryhidalgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this video is from a dealership by me. if you fast forward to about the 12:30 mark, the person filming the video indicates the snow button does, in fact, put the car into awd mode:

Your G37X from Mike @ Infiniti of Nashua - YouTube

not exactly sure how reliable this is, but it seems to be the most concrete piece of evidence one way or another that we've seen.
</pre>
Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Jayhawk815

Originally Posted by harryhidalgo
not exactly sure how reliable this is, but it seems to be the most concrete piece of evidence one way or another that we've seen.
It doesn't appear to be any more reliable than going to your dealership and asking them. Which people have, and many different responses have been given.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayhawk815
It doesn't appear to be any more reliable than going to your dealership and asking them. Which people have, and many different responses have been given.
+1 ... I agree!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:34 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Slowing/stopping the vehicle is part of the handling. Bald tires are useless unless your driving on warm dry pavement.
Please get new tires for the sake of the people around you
This issue can be overcome by braking early and always keep a very good distance between my car and the one in front of mine, which I do. Also accelerate & brake on straight, and ease off throttle in corners helps too. Still safer than people who brake late and accelerate through corners because they have AWD & winter tires.

A winter rally driver once said: "Know when you have grip and when you don't," which I think is a good point. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good your AWD or tires are, if you don't have grip, slow down.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by harryhidalgo
this video is from a dealership by me. if you fast forward to about the 12:30 mark, the person filming the video indicates the snow button does, in fact, put the car into awd mode:

Your G37X from Mike @ Infiniti of Nashua - YouTube

Doesn't prove a thing...any "salesman" can say what they want; doesn't make it so.

He even makes claims of it being able to "barrel" through 2 feet of snow.

And he also says you can only use the snow mode up to 25 mph.

Here is what my manual says about snow mode:
For driving or starting the vehicle on snowy roads or slippery areas, turn on the SNOW mode switch. The indicator light on the switch will illuminate. When the SNOW mode is activated, engine output is controlled to avoid wheel spin.

That is the exact wording from my 2010 G37X manual.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:40 PM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Correct, but if an epic snow machine is needed, all of the ellps are excluded. You are into a car that is not an ellps. Even an outback isn't an epic snow machine, although it's better than a G/TL/BMW/CTS etc. We're talking Jeep, Hummer, F150, GX 470, Escalade, Infiniti Q, etc.
Ok, i'll rephrase. An epic snow sedan or coupe

Quick Reply: The Snow Button