G37 Sedan

The Snow Button

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:06 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by devil2k
Sony NEX-5N comes with a 16 MP sensor, but the factory manual says 14 MP. Manual is not the only source of information. You can either believe what it says or believe in how your car handles.
I have no doubt at all that whenever my rear wheels start to slip power is transferred to front wheels, and that the snow button reduces the throttle response.

If you can tell that the system is in an initial 50/50 torque split and once under way it locked in a 25/75 ratio then you are truly one awesome G driver (because I sure can't), and let me be the first to shake your hand!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 PM
mcbaes72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
^ It's called 'Snow' mode not 'Rain' mode

Not, necessary. The 'normal' AWD abilities of the system are more than adequate for driving in rain.
It's rare that you would even need it in the snow.
Haha...yeah, I know. I was just wondering, thanks for the reply.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Comatose

Originally Posted by awais
That won't work. The system will detect a slip right away and send 50% power to the front wheels regardless of the snow mode on/off. Same reason why AWDs can't use RWD dynos.
I think under extremely slow speeds the system will allow the car to 'slip'.
Similarly how rear vs front tires will wear differently and subsequently have a small % difference in diameter, this translates into different wheels speeds between front vs back. Basically there should be a window of variation before a slip is considered.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Quote:

"Some models fitted with the ATTESA-ETS system, such as the Nissan RS4 Stagea, have a "S" button on the dash. This will bypass the control system of the ATESSA-ETS ecu and lock the transfer case into full 4wd. This is to be uses at low speeds in snowy and icy conditions only as understeer is greatly increased in this mode.

A reviewer said that the 2009 Infiniti G37's ATTESA-ETS had more sportiness and faster reaction time than competing AWD systems such as Audi's quattro, BMW's xDrive, and Mercedes-Benz's 4MATIC."
Old 01-09-2012, 12:06 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
Quote:

"Some models fitted with the ATTESA-ETS system, such as the Nissan RS4 Stagea, have a "S" button on the dash. This will bypass the control system of the ATESSA-ETS ecu and lock the transfer case into full 4wd. This is to be uses at low speeds in snowy and icy conditions only as understeer is greatly increased in this mode.

A reviewer said that the 2009 Infiniti G37's ATTESA-ETS had more sportiness and faster reaction time than competing AWD systems such as Audi's quattro, BMW's xDrive, and Mercedes-Benz's 4MATIC."
The operative words being "some models". Is the G37x one of the models with ATTESA-ETS that will lock the transer case when the snow button is pushed?

Also, I take everyone on Wikipedia with a grain of salt as it's not always accurate.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Razz

Just got a bit of snow in the Chicago area. Went out for a, lets test the snow button ride. Only have 2600 miles on my 2012 37xs and this was my first real run (fun) in the snow.
It does reduce throttle response and seems to brake the wheels needed to straighten the car out, quickly. It also kept the RPMs at 1900 in most conditions other under 5mph or over 30MPH. I assume for engine braking. Take off was much better as the engine really controlled slip and again seemed to apply brake at the wheel needed.
I might go get my wife the 25x as she is scared to death to drive in the snow. The snow mode would give her more confidence. It is also is the best tracking system I ever drove. When a bit tired and you want to relax it is very predictable…A nice feature
Now, in DS (VDC off) and playing with paddle shifters with snow mode off….A absolute blast.
Just my take : )
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 PM
vactor
Registered Member

i nearly spun on Lake shore drive today in my 09 g37xS sedan. snow button was on, going about 15 mph m oem all season 18" wheels and tires. on an exit that was flat with maybe a 2 degree camber, car started to slide and then the rear and came around nearly 90 degrees. all at less than 20 mph. definitely time for snow tires, but, it sure did not feel like there was a lot of torque going to the front wheels ... scary actually ...
Old 01-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Razz
Just got a bit of snow in the Chicago area. Went out for a, lets test the snow button ride. Only have 2600 miles on my 2012 37xs and this was my first real run (fun) in the snow.
It does reduce throttle response and seems to brake the wheels needed to straighten the car out, quickly. It also kept the RPMs at 1900 in most conditions other under 5mph or over 30MPH. I assume for engine braking. Take off was much better as the engine really controlled slip and again seemed to apply brake at the wheel needed.
I might go get my wife the 25x as she is scared to death to drive in the snow. The snow mode would give her more confidence. It is also is the best tracking system I ever drove. When a bit tired and you want to relax it is very predictable…A nice feature
Now, in DS (VDC off) and playing with paddle shifters with snow mode off….A absolute blast.
Just my take : )
Braking the wheels to straighten the car out and most of the benefits you are talking about is the VDC NOT the snow button. My RWD does the same thing, and yes it's pretty impressive. Was just out in the blizzard here in Cleveland and passing trucks with RWD and snow tires. ...fun with VDC off too.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify that those safety features are not a part of the snow button.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by vactor
i nearly spun on Lake shore drive today in my 09 g37xS sedan. snow button was on, going about 15 mph m oem all season 18" wheels and tires. on an exit that was flat with maybe a 2 degree camber, car started to slide and then the rear and came around nearly 90 degrees. all at less than 20 mph. definitely time for snow tires, but, it sure did not feel like there was a lot of torque going to the front wheels ... scary actually ...
Interesting...I ran up and down the mountains in New Mexico for 4 days on snow and ice and had no problem with slippage ever...and that was constant turning left and right while going up and down 2,000 ft in elevation for 14 miles.
Maybe your tires are not so good?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:25 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
xice 2 review - g37s 6spd sedan

Here's my 2 cents worth after tonight's little experiment.

G37S 6spd sedan rwd (not awd).

Tires - michelin xice2 225/50/18 on all 4 corners.

In not so deep snow, the car drives quite well. Very little spin on taking off (in 1st gear) which traction control takes care of. Things get a bit more challenging when the ruts are deeper. The car wants to follow them rather than create its own. I do wish I could have gone with a 215 or even a 205 tire, but i'm limited to 18" wheels due to the brakes and load ratings (car weighs ~3800lb unlaiden). Unplowed roads are not a problem either, so long as the ruts are not deep or there are no ruts. Even cornering is quite acceptable.

In areas where the roads were well salted and just wet, driving was a no brainer. The car started, turned and stop exceptionally well without abs or traction control kicking in. Not so deep slush wasn't be much of an issue either.

On the average, we got between 6-8" of snow out here today. I doubt there'd be as much control with all season tires on this car. I drove a relative's fwd grand prix earlier today. Just to the store to get 2 cycle oil and fuel for the blower. Streets were in similar condition as they are now (~9-10pm central time), the car was all over the place unless I putted along at 10-20 mph. With the snow tires on the G, 30+ is very easy to do while still staying in control [so long as its not deep snow].

Ultimately, are they as great as I thought they be, no. But I suppose given the rwd characteristics of the car, it is easily drivable, so long as it's done with sense. Also, the car sits quite low, which may be a reason why the deeper snow becomes a challenge. At no time did the back end get ahead of the front end, though a few 90deg turns with deep ruts did almost put the car into a spin. Perhaps I gave it a bit too much throttle at the wrong time.

I still don't feel as confident driving this as I did the camaro in the snow. Granted, I drove that car for 11 winters, but have only had the G for a bit over a month. Camaro had a very heavy feeling to everything it did, while this car feels extremely light in every dimension of the word. Also, the camaro had 215/65/16 snow tires. No doubt softer sidewalls helped in the handling in snow.

Another thing I need to play with is tire pressure. I originally started the season with 35 psi in the snow. This was too much and resulted in a rather bumpy/stiff ride. I now have 34. I may drop it down to 33 or even 32psi. Finally, these tires have < 100 miles on them, with about 60 being in the dry and perhaps 25 in the snow. After some more miles, and another similar snow fall, i'll post another update.

@vactor, it is quite possible you hit a patch of ice. No traction at even 20 mph will cause the car to go in a straight line in whatever direction it had momentum just before loss of traction.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Razz

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Braking the wheels to straighten the car out and most of the benefits you are talking about is the VDC NOT the snow button. My RWD does the same thing, and yes it's pretty impressive. Was just out in the blizzard here in Cleveland and passing trucks with RWD and snow tires. ...fun with VDC off too.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify that those safety features are not a part of the snow button.
You are correct…BUT…The two working in unison is the ticket to a safe and easy drive in the snow. As it is meant to be!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow mode does lock the system at 50:50 in my '09. An easy and interesting way to feel the difference is on dry pavement in the middle of the summer. The steering will be heavier (as expected) with snow mode on...just try parking lot type winding around and unless you are oblivious to feedback from your car, you will feel it. Some of us who used to drive mechanical AWD Audi Quattros are very familiar with the heavy steering and driveline slight binding at low speeds and tight turns.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
The operative words being "some models". Is the G37x one of the models with ATTESA-ETS that will lock the transer case when the snow button is pushed?

Also, I take everyone on Wikipedia with a grain of salt as it's not always accurate.
The G37x AWD system is ATTESA-ETS.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Snow mode does lock the system at 50:50 in my '09. An easy and interesting way to feel the difference is on dry pavement in the middle of the summer. The steering will be heavier (as expected) with snow mode on...just try parking lot type winding around and unless you are oblivious to feedback from your car, you will feel it. Some of us who used to drive mechanical AWD Audi Quattros are very familiar with the heavy steering and driveline slight binding at low speeds and tight turns.
Agreed. I take my G to snow-covered parking lot all the time to play around in it. Snow mode makes a difference. If I'm trying to make U-turn and I have the snow mode on, sometimes I just end up plowing straight. The difference I feel is not just the throttle response. I can easily compensate that by pressing harder on the pedal.

I remember reading in the manual somewhere that when stuck in mud / snow, turn VDC off and snow mode on to try to get out. My dad's Rogue's manual says similar thing (in Chinese) and it also says that pushing that button with a picture of the drivetrain locks torque split to a certain speed.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 PM
IgS

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I read through some, not all the posts and will just post my observations. I have an 09 G37x and the snow button makes a noticeable difference. If you go to a parking lot with a lot of snow (or a an empty street with snow) turn off traction control and hit the gas pretty hard it will grip significantly better with the snow mode ON. you can actually feel the difference as the car will accelerate right away, while with snow mode OFF you will feel the rear slip first and then the front will try to grab, and it will, but you can definitely feel the difference between the two modes.

I always drive with traction control OFF anyways as the stupid rev limit when the wheels spin really bug me. I can control the car much better when it doesnt limit me. I would suggest anyone driving in the snow that has AWD, drive without traction control. just my $0.02

Quick Reply: The Snow Button