G37 Sedan

The Snow Button

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my own driving experience, I believe that it does more than just reduce throttle. I live in Saskatchewan (North of Montana), and we get deep snow here. The car plows more with snow mode on. If I go around a corner sideways with my foot planted on the throttle, I would likely keep going sideways with the snow mode on but spin out without.

It's just hard to believe that Infiniti would spend the money and time to implement something that's been proven to work and scrap it later. It's also hard to believe that they've made G37x to be worse than G35x. Somehow I find that's the mentality here.

RoadAndTrack.com tested a G35 and G35x on their autocross track and found that G35x was faster on both wet and dry. Somehow that doesn't apply to G37/G37x, G37 is always faster on dry according to folks here. Snow mode did more than just reducing throttle response on a G35x, somehow Infiniti thought this system, which enabled a G35x to outperform a G35 in some driving conditions, such as a dry autocross track, is rubbish and decided not to implement it into a G37x.

There are a lot of things not documented in FSM, but it doesn't mean they're not true. I believe what I believe because I actually do drive mine in snow as if it was a WRC STi (heavy throttle, high rev, VDC off) and I know the difference between the two modes. I don't need a FSM to believe such difference exists.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NCHIINFMNGR
on the early models 03-04 maybee 05-06 when the snow button is pressed, it changes throttle response and locks awd, but on newer models they got rid of locking awd and just throttle response is affected, i, pretty darn sure just did training, ill check for sure, i know an engineer at inf and will ask him and end this

Thanks for this information. This would certainly explain the disparity between the 2003 NissanNews release and the 2010 FSM regarding the function of the Snow button.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Originally Posted by devil2k
From my own driving experience, I believe that it does more than just reduce throttle. I live in Saskatchewan (North of Montana), and we get deep snow here. The car plows more with snow mode on. If I go around a corner sideways with my foot planted on the throttle, I would likely keep going sideways with the snow mode on but spin out without.

It's just hard to believe that Infiniti would spend the money and time to implement something that's been proven to work and scrap it later. It's also hard to believe that they've made G37x to be worse than G35x. Somehow I find that's the mentality here.

RoadAndTrack.com tested a G35 and G35x on their autocross track and found that G35x was faster on both wet and dry. Somehow that doesn't apply to G37/G37x, G37 is always faster on dry according to folks here. Snow mode did more than just reducing throttle response on a G35x, somehow Infiniti thought this system, which enabled a G35x to outperform a G35 in some driving conditions, such as a dry autocross track, is rubbish and decided not to implement it into a G37x.

There are a lot of things not documented in FSM, but it doesn't mean they're not true. I believe what I believe because I actually do drive mine in snow as if it was a WRC STi (heavy throttle, high rev, VDC off) and I know the difference between the two modes. I don't need a FSM to believe such difference exists.
You are not considering the possibility that Nissan discontinued the AWD lock action (up to 12 mph) of the snow button because it proved to be redundant or unnecessary.

The ATTESA AWD system is constantly monitoring for wheel slip 100 times per second and almost instantaneously transferring power to the front wheels as required via an electro-magnetic clutch in the transfer case whether the snow button is on or off. This is why the car is performing well in the snow, and not because the snow button has locked it into AWD. With an AWD system that responds this quickly the car really does not need to be locked in AWD for improved snow traction. Within milliseconds of any detected front wheel slip you have power transfer to the front wheels.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 AM
fx45guy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJohn
Thanks for this information. This would certainly explain the disparity between the 2003 NissanNews release and the 2010 FSM regarding the function of the Snow button.
On the 2003 FX45 for example, the button says AWD lock, and it's up to 18MPH. On the 2004 they changed it to SNOW and added the throttle response change on top of the AWD lock.

But in the 2012 manual it just mentions the engine output changing and nothing about the AWD lock, just like the G manual does now.

So who knows if/when they changed it. But it really doesn't matter as others have said with the computer dynamically allocating power based on slipping conditions.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fx45guy
On the 2003 FX45 for example, the button says AWD lock, and it's up to 18MPH. On the 2004 they changed it to SNOW and added the throttle response change on top of the AWD lock.

But in the 2012 manual it just mentions the engine output changing and nothing about the AWD lock, just like the G manual does now.

So who knows if/when they changed it. But it really doesn't matter as others have said with the computer dynamically allocating power based on slipping conditions.
They changed it with the redesign in 2007. The manuals from 2007 onwards say that the snow button reduces the throttle input. No mention of locking the AWD system 50/50.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
here's a load of info

From Nissan a few years ago...see bold print below:
this was the link which no longer exists http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2.../awdtech.shtml

How It Works
The ATTESA system is designed for smooth starts, better fuel economy and better traction and maneuverability on snowy roads than conventional all-wheel drive systems and minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance characteristics on dry roads.

The system's advanced torque split control strategy automatically transfers optimum torque to the wheels according to road and driving conditions. It provides outstanding cornering capability similar to a sports car due to optimum torque distribution to the front and rear wheels (from approximately 0:100 up to 50:50).
System sensors continuously monitor vehicle speed, throttle position and wheel spin (at all four wheels). When road conditions don't require AWD, the G35 acts and feels like the award-winning rear-wheel drive G35 sedan, with the system capable of sending up to 100 percent of the power to the rear wheels. By comparison, leading competitive AWD systems with center differential transfer systems limit the amount of available power at the rear wheels to 50 percent (Audi A4 Quattro), 60 percent (Mercedes C-class 4-matic) or 62 percent (BMW 330xi). The G35 thus offers minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance and handling feel.

From a standing start, the ATTESA system adjusts the front-to-rear torque distribution, adding 25 percent to the front wheels for a more powerful start. The system then quickly adjusts torque distribution as needed, sending up to 100 percent to the rear wheels if conditions warrant, or adjusting the front drive percentage up to 50 percent as needed.

In cornering situations, the ATTESA system can detect traction needs throughout the course of a turn and react accordingly. With its millisecond response time, the system can shift toque back and forth between the front and rear wheels to help enhance stability and traction. For example, in entering a corner (under normal driving conditions), the system functions nearly the same as any rear-wheel drive car. Torque distribution is almost 100 percent rear. Once in the corner, the system is able to transfer to the front wheels that portion of the drive torque that the rear wheels can't handle. This results in outstanding, sports car-like cornering ability. When exiting the corner, torque can be quickly transferred according to the wheel spin of the rear wheels from 50:50 up to 0:100 for smooth acceleration out of the turn.

Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

A storm last winter left a nice glaze on the roads. It was bumper to bumper traffic.

<O</OWhen I let my foot off of the brake to creep forward (2011 xS coupe), the rear end started to fish tail out.<O</O
<O</O

I put the snow switch on and the car did not fish tail after that.<O</O
<O</O

I assumed that it took power off of the back wheels at put some on the front. <O</O
Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Comatose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can maybe someone jack the car on all 4's, pop it in drive, and see if all wheels turn w/ the button on?

It makes you wonder though - an X already has the AWD. Give the snow button to its RWD brother that would need it more in a storm
Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Comatose
Can maybe someone jack the car on all 4's, pop it in drive, and see if all wheels turn w/ the button on?
That won't work. The system will detect a slip right away and send 50% power to the front wheels regardless of the snow mode on/off. Same reason why AWDs can't use RWD dynos.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:43 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
From Nissan a few years ago...see bold print below:
this was the link which no longer exists http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2.../awdtech.shtml
Uhhh BTW, I already posted a link (that still works) to this info in NissanNews in this thread back on 1/1...

"I’ve seen this before. The information in GT-R’s post is directly from an October 2003 NissanNews press release:
“2004 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan All-Wheel Drive Model Offers All-Season Performance With Advanced ATTESA E-TS”

Link to: NissanNews - 10/2003"

I think from what I've read here so far, its safe to say that the '04, '05, '06 X model's snow button locks in AWD up to 12 mph (and reduces the throttle response), and from '07 to '11 models the AWD lock function was deleted and the snow button only reduces the throttle response.

Last edited by DocJohn; 01-06-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

^
If you check the numerous related thread on G35driver you will find we confirmed the SnowMode 50/50 torque lockup still exists in the 2nd gen AWD sedans. My 07G35X definitely locked up 50/50, in snow mode, from 0-12mph.

The snow mode 50/50 torque split is also mentioned in this article.
Test Drive: 2007 Infiniti G35x - Autos.ca

"A rocker switch just aft of the console shifter calls up snow mode, which puts the system into an initial 50/50 torque split and reduces throttle sensitivity. Once under way, it locks in a 25/75 ratio."

"With the snow mode activated, the Infiniti pulled away cleanly and exhibited fine control – better than when in regular mode. "
Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

^ It's called 'Snow' mode not 'Rain' mode

Not, necessary. The 'normal' AWD abilities of the system are more than adequate for driving in rain.
It's rare that you would even need it in the snow.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:15 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
^
If you check the numerous related thread on G35driver you will find we confirmed the SnowMode 50/50 torque lockup still exists in the 2nd gen AWD sedans. My 07G35X definitely locked up 50/50, in snow mode, from 0-12mph.

The snow mode 50/50 torque split is also mentioned in this article.
Test Drive: 2007 Infiniti G35x - Autos.ca

"A rocker switch just aft of the console shifter calls up snow mode, which puts the system into an initial 50/50 torque split and reduces throttle sensitivity. Once under way, it locks in a 25/75 ratio."

"With the snow mode activated, the Infiniti pulled away cleanly and exhibited fine control – better than when in regular mode. "
This is a new one! ("puts the system into an initial 50/50 torque split and reduces throttle sensitivity. Once under way, it locks in a 25/75 ratio")

Where did the authors of this article get this piece of (mis-)information from? Anyone can write an article filled with unsubstantiated "facts" like this which mean nothing to me since its cites no credible or verifiable source.
Sorry, but I’m calling BS on this until it can be verified or corroborated by a reliable source.

I guess the great "snow button debate" of 2012 continues on....
Old 01-06-2012, 12:33 PM
tejasg37x

All this talk about speculation on what the "Snow Mode" does, but not many verifiable facts.
All I know is it works very well in the snow...I know it did for me.
Just use it when you're in the snow and it will work for you.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DocJohn
This is a new one! ("puts the system into an initial 50/50 torque split and reduces throttle sensitivity. Once under way, it locks in a 25/75 ratio")

Where did the authors of this article get this piece of (mis-)information from? Anyone can write an article filled with unsubstantiated "facts" like this which mean nothing to me since its cites no credible or verifiable source.
Sorry, but I’m calling BS on this until it can be verified or corroborated by a reliable source.

I guess the great "snow button debate" of 2012 continues on....
Sony NEX-5N comes with a 16 MP sensor, but the factory manual says 14 MP. Manual is not the only source of information. You can either believe what it says or believe in how your car handles.

Quick Reply: The Snow Button