G37 Sedan

What do you like/dislike about your G37?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 02:04 PM
avsBuddy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan on posting a full review after I drive my G37S MT for a bit more, but meanwhile here are mine:
Like: Handling, Power, most everything about 6MT (shifter/clutch feel, shift **** shape/height), steering wheel, Premium Audio Sound Quality, Rear legroom, Trunk space, looks, headlights.
Dislike:
Navi system including GUI (feels outdated and rushed), 6MT synchro noise, low headroom with Sports package, ineffective thigh bolsters on Sport seats, rear A/C and front compartment deleted for Smoker options in 6MT, inability to get 6MT without sunroof.

Overall Likes outweigh dislikes, so I'm pretty happy about my purchase.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:20 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by avsBuddy
I plan on posting a full review after I drive my G37S MT for a bit more, but meanwhile here are mine:
Like: Handling, Power, most everything about 6MT (shifter/clutch feel, shift **** shape/height), steering wheel, Premium Audio Sound Quality, Rear legroom, Trunk space, looks, headlights.
Dislike:
Navi system including GUI (feels outdated and rushed), 6MT synchro noise, low headroom with Sports package, ineffective thigh bolsters on Sport seats, rear A/C and front compartment deleted for Smoker options in 6MT, inability to get 6MT without sunroof.

Overall Likes outweigh dislikes, so I'm pretty happy about my purchase.
I like the nav system. How can it be rushed as it has been around for a few years. I wish it had the additional voice commands that was in the previous years'.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:46 PM
fastlane45

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ijahman
I agree with you Fastlane that is some BS and a dealer should have been able to isolate that rattle. I have a 09, lowered with my shocks set at 90 percent stiffness and I dont rattle at all...Take it to a dealer in CT it sounds like someone dropped a bolt or screw in your dash, or behind your radio. Dude i didn't like the way my transmission sounded and they replaced the whole trans based on noise but they are unwilling to help you with your rattle...If I were you I wouldn't buy another one either going through that.

The leather quality is less than perfect but so was the leather in my 2003 RS6 and it was over 90k new...my only complaint is the clutch engagement by far this has been the hardest car to master...you need to learn how to blip the throttle a bit to make shift smooth and even...
Yea its pretty ridiculous.. because they see im a kid they take advantage. Have you dealt with a specific dealer in CT you could recommend?
Old 12-25-2011, 05:54 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
So far after 500 miles, it's easier to list the things that could use improvement.

dislike:

* Steering - wish it was stiffer/required more effort,
* body roll (correctable with heavier duty sway bars IIRC I hope),
* sport seats are not terrible, not great, but ok - still breaking them in.
* Throttle feel - A stiffer throttle spring would be nice too. Still getting used to the car
* Rear seats don't fold down
* Silly fuel door
* lack of spare in center console (6mt)
* Clutch pedal feel (corrected with a weaker spring).
* Brake pedal has a small amount of travel before pads start biting. Different than what i'm used to where bite is almost immediate
* mpg -after 400 miles, my avg is ~21mpg 70/30 hwy/city with moderate throttle use. Expect this to go up as breakin continues.

Last edited by JSolo; 12-25-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:47 PM
mxquattro

My biggest annoyance (cant say its a dislike) is the way you have to rename a saved location in the nav. I can save a location on the map but to give it a meaningful name I have to go to a whole new section of settings. wtf? And also if Im driving along and want to enter something from my addressbook it better be on the first page because i cant get to the second page or any other page if the car is moving. Ridiculous.

iphone integration is non existant ('09 g37x)

7speed auto sometimes cant decide wtf it wants to do.

No stereo 'mute' button anywhere.

Cant run the wipers while in accessory mode. Nothing like waiting in a parking lot for someone in the rain and cant see.

I find it REALLY squirrely at higher speeds.. especially under braking. The rear end seems really unsettled. (125mph +)

OK more than just the nav annoyance
Old 12-25-2011, 07:01 PM
avsBuddy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by g37guy01
I like the nav system. How can it be rushed as it has been around for a few years. I wish it had the additional voice commands that was in the previous years'.
Entering the destination in Infiniti Navi is very awkward compared to likes of iPhone and Google Maps. With Infiniti, you can't just type a name of destination, have it find all locations on the map, tap on the location you want and click Route. Infiniti acts like Navigation and GPS of 5-7 years ago, with having you first enter Region, State, City etc. Then you have to pick category: Places, Restaurants, Gas Station etc. Then you cannot easily move across the map, zoom in, zoom out to check out multiple locations. Infiniti Navi is functional, but it's not up to date with functionality of current generation of GPS. This is a $2,000 option we are talking about! Heck, Infiniti could've inserted iPad into dashboard for $600 and end up with a superior navigation and multimedia center + always updated, real time maps.

This is my first built in Navi, but I wouldn't be surprised if, save for screen resolution, Infiniti haven't changed it since introducing G37.

Another beef I have is utilization of the screen. For Radio, Bose forces you to the same old 6 preset stations having you switch between FM1 and FM2 presets. Touchscreen system would allow you for infinite number of presets, there is absolutely no need for old way of radio setup. There is still no HD radio, in year 2012! Another thing is that for iPod integration, Album Art is displayed in the smallish 1.5 inch square, while whole quarter of the screen is left empty with a picture of a stupid USB plug.

Multimedia center in the the luxury car should be a lot more sleek and sophisticated.

Last edited by avsBuddy; 12-25-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:38 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Entering the destination in Infiniti Navi is very awkward compared to likes of iPhone and Google Maps. With Infiniti, you can't just type a name of destination, have it find all locations on the map, tap on the location you want and click Route. Infiniti acts like Navigation and GPS of 5-7 years ago, with having you first enter Region, State, City etc. Then you have to pick category: Places, Restaurants, Gas Station etc. Then you cannot easily move across the map, zoom in, zoom out to check out multiple locations. Infiniti Navi is functional, but it's not up to date with functionality of current generation of GPS. This is a $2,000 option we are talking about! Heck, Infiniti could've inserted iPad into dashboard for $600 and end up with a superior navigation and multimedia center + always updated, real time maps.

This is my first built in Navi, but I wouldn't be surprised if, save for screen resolution, Infiniti haven't changed it since introducing G37.

Another beef I have is utilization of the screen. For Radio, Bose forces you to the same old 6 preset stations having you switch between FM1 and FM2 presets. Touchscreen system would allow you for infinite number of presets, there is absolutely no need for old way of radio setup. There is still no HD radio, in year 2012! Another thing is that for iPod integration, Album Art is displayed in the smallish 1.5 inch square, while whole quarter of the screen is left empty with a picture of a stupid USB plug.

Multimedia center in the the luxury car should be a lot more sleek and sophisticated.
The top priority of a car manufacturer is to build a car that drives well and reliable while doing so, they are not specialized on electronic gadget making after all, most simply outsource to third party vendors. In-car Nav system in general, not just Infiniti's, besides the fact they are neatly integrated, nothing else is really desirable considering it can be outdone easily by many portable counterparts. And low production volume is a direct contributor to the high cost, which doesn't help the value either. Maybe for the best of both world that car manufacturers agree on implementing a common interface which allows attaching of any portable devices that compliance to the standard of the interface. Before then just buy a portable GPS might be a better idea.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:55 PM
G35Rhino

Like: Suspension and ride
Dislike: 7-AT tranny and nasty sound and vibration at high RPM wide open throttle
Old 12-25-2011, 10:12 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
Before then just buy a portable GPS might be a better idea.
Don't really need to buy a GPS unit. I can run Google Navigator for free on my Android phone. Real time traffic. Can't beat that. But I still prefer my car's navigation most of the time because it is better integrated.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:02 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G37S-OONER
Im an overweight soda sipping american and I have no problem with the 3 upholders within reach of my driver seat. How many more do you need? Also, unless you chubbers are trying to secure a 96oz big gulp, Im not sure where these complaints are coming from?
Take a look at the before and after pictures and you'll see why people are complaining.

Before:

After:

Old 12-25-2011, 11:11 PM
g37guy01

G is not really luxury, g is ELLPS. M is luxury.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:16 PM
avsBuddy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by g37guy01
G is not really luxury, g is ELLPS. M is luxury.
I really don't get the argument that G is not luxury, it's luxury by default, because Infiniti is a luxury brand. It certainly not a "sports" brand. And anyhoo, the point is moot, a $40k car should not come with navigation system that can be shamed by a common smart phone.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:55 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Flashlight
Like : everything
Dislike: no auto folding mirrors, no auto heating mirrors
uh...our cars HAVE heated mirrors. turn on the defrost and the mirrors go as well. lol unless that's a new piece for the 2010 sedans? mine has it for sure.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:08 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I really don't get the argument that G is not luxury, it's luxury by default, because Infiniti is a luxury brand. It certainly not a "sports" brand. And anyhoo, the point is moot, a $40k car should not come with navigation system that can be shamed by a common smart phone.
Being a luxury brand does not default it as a luxury car. It is an ELLPS (entry level LUXURY performance sedan). Comparing it to other cars in it's brand, the M is luxury. Sorry, but I don't consider a C class or 3 series a luxury class. Is MB and BMW a luxury brand? yes. I had an A3 but I did not consider it a luxury car because it's an Audi. Do I consider my A6 as a luxury car? Yes.

Acura being Honda's luxury brand, would you consider the RSX a luxury car?
Old 12-26-2011, 05:32 PM
g37guy01

I disagree. Last I looked, my smartphone, doesn't integrate various car functions, have a nav that works without a cell signal, is capable or displaying vehicle status info along with the maps or any other screen.

These cell phone applications are all assisted by back-end servers on the network, google, bb maps, vznav, etc vs the nav device that isn't and is a multi-function device.

vznav doesn't even have lane guidance, which the infiniti nav does. The nav on the g is perfectly acceptable at least to me as I can input the address verbally while the car is in motion.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. As far as the G being luxury, yeah it is, but so is a Bentley. The differentiation is the G is at the bottom of the luxury pile or near luxury or ELLPS. Anyway you put it, the lux in the G is not the same as the lux in a 535. Hence the price tag difference as well.

Quick Reply: What do you like/dislike about your G37?