G37 Sedan

AC/ Fan smells

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 01:29 AM
jhenka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AC/ Fan smells

Hey guys I got a newb question. Since i usually drive with my windows down and don't turn on my ac/ fans i never noticed this issue... Yesterday i turned my ac/fan on and this putrid moldy/ wet smell filled the car. Any ideas what it may be?
Old 12-18-2011, 02:17 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's usually caused by moisture being left in the A/C system after shutting down and getting nasty. You should run the fan for a few minutes after shutting off A/C prior to turning the car off so the moisture can evaporate, etc.

Don't forget defrost also runs A/C so applies as well.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:24 AM
jhenka

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
It's usually caused by moisture being left in the A/C system after shutting down and getting nasty. You should run the fan for a few minutes after shutting off A/C prior to turning the car off so the moisture can evaporate, etc.

Don't forget defrost also runs A/C so applies as well.
Thanks bro thats probably it.. I'll try it out tomorrow we'll see how it goes!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You likely need to replace your cabin air filter.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
You likely need to replace your cabin air filter.
This^ I get mine at Amazon, get my cabin, and air filters all at once for free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ilters&x=0&y=0
Simple 10 minute DIY too, if you haven't done it here's one of several threads on it
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-box-bulb.html
Old 12-19-2011, 01:08 PM
ReddieG37

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
As mentioned earlier, you probably need to replace your cabin filter. Have you replaced the cabin filter yet?
Old 12-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Racer_X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
This^ I get mine at Amazon, get my cabin, and air filters all at once for free shipping
Simple 10 minute DIY too, if you haven't done it here's one of several threads on it
My '08 only has 21k on it, but I'm going to change the filter to the carbon one, thanks the links!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:21 AM
bleu ardoise
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jhenka
Hey guys I got a newb question. Since i usually drive with my windows down and don't turn on my ac/ fans i never noticed this issue... Yesterday i turned my ac/fan on and this putrid moldy/ wet smell filled the car. Any ideas what it may be?
Cause:

This is caused by mildew in your evaporator, changing out your cabin filter won't remove the odor causing mildew. This is very common across many auto manufacturers, it's caused when you turn off the car a/c system and water is left sitting in the evaporator unit. It sits and starts to grow mold over time, you can avoid this by running the a/c in non re-circulation mode more often and making sure the drain holes aren't plugged up.

Solution:

Many people myself included have used Lysol to kill the mold, be very careful but this is what I've done, keep in mind this was done on another car I owned I haven't tried this on my G but should work just fine. Turn on the car, turn on the defroster to high and turn the heat on full blast. Pour diluted Lysol 1:1 with water down the intake vents at the top of the hood. GET out of the car and let it run for 15-20 min, you can be very liberal with the Lysol just don't inhale it in the car!!

Maintenance:

I usually turn off my A/C about 3 miles before I get home, keep running the blower motor and tun off the re-circulation mode, this should dry out the evaporator and keep the system open so hopefully it will remain dry overnight. Keep in mind this happens more so in high humidity regions, thank god I moved to Arizona!

You can also use this product: DWD2 - Home and have a dealer clean it up.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:30 AM
jhenka

Originally Posted by FantastikG37
As mentioned earlier, you probably need to replace your cabin filter. Have you replaced the cabin filter yet?
Nope i have 25k and still running all the same air filters.

Originally Posted by blnewt
Thanks for the links i'll replace them soon.

I haven't replaced it yet but I'm petty sure the evaporation idea was the culprit. It stopped for now but we'll see in the future.