G37 Sedan

I may have a weird problem with my G37.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 04:54 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Fueled up first time today. At a mobil of all places. I set the nozzle lock at the slowest speed. After it cut off, I was able to get about 1/3 gal more fuel into the tank.

I know this particular fuel station very well. I've refilled the bike here countless times. The pump head allows you to modulate the flow with decent control, unlike some stations that are either off or full blast. I suspect the latter are the ones that are causing problems.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Saltin
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've encountered this and it seems to be dependant on the place I am filling up. There's one station in particular where if I don't squeeze very gently it will always kick off. I assume it has something to do with 1) Angle of nozzle versus angle of spout leading to tank, 2) volume of gas coming out of nozzle, 3) flap

It's annoying, but it doesnt happen often. Most places I can go full blast and it kicks off when it should.

Also, do you think women shake the nozzle after they are done filling, or is that strictly a guy thing ; )
Old 12-18-2011, 09:44 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Here you go, a technical explanation and answer:

The Straight Dope: How does a gas pump know to shut itself off?

For those of you that are not sure when your tank is full and drive off with less than a full tank - come on... the tank holds about 18 gallons, and you will typically put in 16-17 gallons when filling up on "E" (the difference is the reserve fuel in the tank).

Simply watch how much fuel you're putting in. If you were on "E" and the handle clicks off after putting in 13 gallons, you're not done yet. You can tell it's full as the nozzle will click off repeatedly. If you have about 1/4 tank when you begin fueling, you can expect to put in about 12 gallons.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC

For those of you that are not sure when your tank is full and drive off with less than a full tank - come on... the tank holds about 18 gallons, and you will typically put in 16-17 gallons when filling up on "E" (the difference is the reserve fuel in the tank).

Simply watch how much fuel you're putting in. If you were on "E" and the handle clicks off after putting in 13 gallons, you're not done yet. You can tell it's full as the nozzle will click off repeatedly. If you have about 1/4 tank when you begin fueling, you can expect to put in about 12 gallons.
My tank holds 20. Filling up around 1/4 (80ish miles range) yields 14-15gallons.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC

Good to know. Saves me the embarrasment of telling the service dep't and them looking at me like I'm an idiot.

I actually went to a station today that I had never been to before and I filled up with no problems right to the very end. I guess I must have had foamy gas the last 3 times.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
Good to know. Saves me the embarrasment of telling the service dep't and them looking at me like I'm an idiot.

I actually went to a station today that I had never been to before and I filled up with no problems right to the very end. I guess I must have had foamy gas the last 3 times.
It could have been the angle of the dangle those times, too.