G37 Sedan

Can't decide what expensive hobby to commit to this second, need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:28 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't decide what expensive hobby to commit to this second, need opinions.

Alright, as the months have gone by it is looking bleaker and bleaker that the coilovers I was planning on buying are going to drop. I refuse to put BC Racing on this car. Right now I have to make a decision on what to spend my money on between my two expensive hobbies. If I had the money this very moment, I would buy both.

I'll go with the one that doesn't involve cars at all, my obsession with upgrading my home entertainment. I want to upgrade the receiver I have connected to my speakers. Right now I have a Pioneer VSX-1120 Receiver connected to 2 Paradigm Reference Studio 60's, a Paradigm Reference Studio CC-590, and an Emotiva Sub-12. I can't really complain about it but I want to upgrade the receiver to the Anthem MX-300 receiver because it was really made for this brand of speakers. I would then move my Pioneer receiver to replace the one connected to my computer. For the computer I have an older Onkyo receiver connect to 2 B&W 686 bookshelf speakers. I also want to replace the B&W's with a set of Paradigm Signature S1's because the B&W's are ported in the rear and doesn't get the spacing it needs. I would then move the B&W's to my bedroom to replace the Axiom bookshelf speakers I currently have in there. Just the two purchases of the receiver and speakers would be around $3k.

Now for the car side. Since I refuse to use BC Racing and JIC Magic still hasn't finished their coilover yet so I am left with what I was leaning with to begin with, going bags. The setup for this I was looking at was the Airrex adjustable struts on bags with the Accuair E-level management with touchpad. This setup without installation is $4k. I also have to get tires for my DPE's.

I use the car a daily driver right now till I find a new job. The computer setup I use at home is used for music and gaming everyday pretty much. I can't decide which to do and would like some insight, it might sway me one way or another. Forgot to also mention I still haven't even purchased the exhaust I wanted because of this.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Mussman 6000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How's your portfolio?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:37 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

I sold off all my personal stuff except my 401k, the market was fluctuating too much for what I invested in. My 401k has lost 14% this year thanks to the company running that, thank god I get control next year.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
I sold off all my personal stuff except my 401k, the market was fluctuating too much for what I invested in. My 401k has lost 14% this year thanks to the company running that, thank god I get control next year.
Pimco Bond Fund or even just a plain money market fund for now!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:20 PM
zoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost money with Pimco too. Need to high frequency trade.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:26 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wtf?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Alright, as the months have gone by it is looking bleaker and bleaker that the coilovers I was planning on buying are going to drop. I refuse to put BC Racing on this car. Right now I have to make a decision on what to spend my money on between my two expensive hobbies. If I had the money this very moment, I would buy both.

I'll go with the one that doesn't involve cars at all, my obsession with upgrading my home entertainment. I want to upgrade the receiver I have connected to my speakers. Right now I have a Pioneer VSX-1120 Receiver connected to 2 Paradigm Reference Studio 60's, a Paradigm Reference Studio CC-590, and an Emotiva Sub-12. I can't really complain about it but I want to upgrade the receiver to the Anthem MX-300 receiver because it was really made for this brand of speakers. I would then move my Pioneer receiver to replace the one connected to my computer. For the computer I have an older Onkyo receiver connect to 2 B&W 686 bookshelf speakers. I also want to replace the B&W's with a set of Paradigm Signature S1's because the B&W's are ported in the rear and doesn't get the spacing it needs. I would then move the B&W's to my bedroom to replace the Axiom bookshelf speakers I currently have in there. Just the two purchases of the receiver and speakers would be around $3k.

Now for the car side. Since I refuse to use BC Racing and JIC Magic still hasn't finished their coilover yet so I am left with what I was leaning with to begin with, going bags. The setup for this I was looking at was the Airrex adjustable struts on bags with the Accuair E-level management with touchpad. This setup without installation is $4k. I also have to get tires for my DPE's.

I use the car a daily driver right now till I find a new job. The computer setup I use at home is used for music and gaming everyday pretty much. I can't decide which to do and would like some insight, it might sway me one way or another. Forgot to also mention I still haven't even purchased the exhaust I wanted because of this.
If you're interested in some serious suspension setups (not the typical OTS crap), send me a PM and I can point you in the right direction.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I would go with the hometheater/speaker route.

Anything you do with the car will have a greater decrease in value over time compared with come speakers, etc.

Also with suspension modifications you will most likely get a decrease in comfort and the only person that will enjoy it will be you as the driver; with the home speakers your friends and family will also be able to enjoy it.

Ultimately this is your money and which every you feels brings you more enjoyment in life is what you should choose.

If you have a wife and kids I would invest in the home theater set up, but if you have no family then the car parts might be what you want to attract the ladies.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 AM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Originally Posted by Mike
If you're interested in some serious suspension setups (not the typical OTS crap), send me a PM and I can point you in the right direction.
AWD models have no choices like the RWD
Old 12-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
AWD models have no choices like the RWD
AWD have no off the shelf choices like RWD; the options I can point you toward don't have off the shelf choices for RWD either