G37 Sedan

engine whine

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:25 AM
1BadAssG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine whine

About a month ago I took my car for a q panel repair but instead it all turned into a nightmare.
Well to make the long story short, the shop had driven my car for 238 miles over the course of 9 days with many other damages that I can't yet list for legal perposes.
Ever since I got the car back, I've been hearing my engine noticeablelly louder. So I took the time to take a look at the engine. Theres a whine that is probably caused by the shop driving it like crazy while they had my car.
I thought an oil change would probably fix the issue, so I did an oil change with royal perpule 5w-30 but the problem still exists.
The weirdest is when I turn off the car, there are clicks that occurs after engine off.
I have attached a video of it in action. Plz advice what might the issue be.
Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRTnye1QQvc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Old 12-07-2011, 11:47 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The whine noise seems to still be there for a few seconds after the motor has stopped...
Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM
1BadAssG

Yes that is one of my concerns at the end of my first post.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM
HappyG

My G also has similar shutdown click noise. Here is my original thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...own-noise.html

I had it checked by my dealer and they concluded it is normal noise for 2010 G. They showed me another G on their lot with the same shutdown noise. The noise is from the throttle body. They said this is common for a 2010.

I suggest that you have it check out by your dealer and see if they tell you the same.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:57 AM
1BadAssG

Originally Posted by HappyG
My G also has similar shutdown click noise. Here is my original thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...own-noise.html

I had it checked by my dealer and they concluded it is normal noise for 2010 G. They showed me another G on their lot with the same shutdown noise. The noise is from the throttle body. They said this is common for a 2010.

I suggest that you have it check out by your dealer and see if they tell you the same.
How come that I never heard it before in the last year that I own the car. I had numinous times turned the engine off with the hood open but never heard the noise and clicking.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:59 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Damn that sux, 200+ miles in 9 days from the shop? WTF were they doing? I know you cant talk about it yet but please tell us your getting that ish figured out. As for the whine, that is strange, have you taken it to Infiniti? Should be under warranty.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:08 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by 1BadAssG
How come that I never heard it before in the last year that I own the car. I had numinous times turned the engine off with the hood open but never heard the noise and clicking.
I started to hear this noise after about 7000 miles. I didn't notice any noise prior to that. I'm wondering what is your current mileage?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM
1BadAssG

Originally Posted by HappyG
I started to hear this noise after about 7000 miles. I didn't notice any noise prior to that. I'm wondering what is your current mileage?
I currently have 23,000 miles and counting lol.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:59 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by 1BadAssG
Yes that is one of my concerns at the end of my first post.
What I meant by that is the "whine" doesn't seem to be the motor itself. It kind of sounds like an electrical motor whine...
Old 12-07-2011, 01:19 PM
QueenCityG37

that doesnt sound normal to me. im no expert but i would not be able to just "accept" that for a brand new car.

i agree with where the sound might be coming from...sounds like a bearing..or a electrical motor..belt barley rubbing...but the fact that it continues shortly after shutting down the engine...
fuel pump related?
electric fan?..bearing in the fan?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:25 PM
QueenCityG37

sorry for double post but i just thought of something.

try unplugging the electric fan...or the fuse for it..and see if you still hear the noise..
obviously dont do this for a long time..or as long as its cold out it should be OK for a short amount of time.

what shop is helping you resolve this?

i wouldn't probably not take it back to the guys that drove it for 200+ miles.

but trying a few things yourself can help you be educated on the issue before you let someone rip you off or pull your leg.

let us know what else you find out!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:51 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Do these cars have some sort of air pump for emissions? It sounds like a high rpm motor type of noise. Could be fuel pump, but isn't that in the gas tank?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:09 PM
QueenCityG37

yeah the fuel pump in in the rear.. thats why im thinking it could be the fan....fan runs for a little bit after motor turns off..or the fan is just spinning down.

not sure if they have a air system for exhaust..
or something for pressurizing the gas tank?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 PM
jb606

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's gotta be electronic. Pull the engine cover off so you can get a better idea where the noise is coming from. That cover is there to hide noise.

The sound *seems* like its stronger on the drivers side, maybe an ignition coil or abs pump? I'd take it to the dealership and let them look at it. If you win your case you might be able to get back the cost of the test/troubleshoot.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:10 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by jb606
That's gotta be electronic. Pull the engine cover off so you can get a better idea where the noise is coming from. That cover is there to hide noise.

The sound *seems* like its stronger on the drivers side, maybe an ignition coil or abs pump? I'd take it to the dealership and let them look at it. If you win your case you might be able to get back the cost of the test/troubleshoot.
I thought OP is driving a 2010 and is still under warranty.

Quick Reply: engine whine