G37 Sedan

Ark Grip Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slpr
Oh sorry quoted the the wrong one... i have the GRIP installed and its vibrating against my heat shield....
You might have it installed incorrectly.
Try taking it out and reversing it or turning it upside down.

When I got mine in the mail there were no stickers indicating which was left and right or front or back.
Just had to test fit everything till it was right then put it all together on the car.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 AM
slpr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bo2point0
You might have it installed incorrectly.
Try taking it out and reversing it or turning it upside down.

When I got mine in the mail there were no stickers indicating which was left and right or front or back.
Just had to test fit everything till it was right then put it all together on the car.
Ya I was planning to give that a try this Friday... Ya I had to play around with pipes so many times myself as well which was quite a pain since I could only work on the car on ramps. It also seems very tight between the heat shield and the cross brace. But thnx for your help!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:55 AM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
Quality wise and fitment between the 2 is night and day, as well as looks, plus ARK is less expensive. Big difference in the pull, definitely feels stronger, noticed a lot more pull in 2nd gear.
Have you tried the Stillen Exhaust personally to be able to make such comparisons? Big difference in the pull? Feels stronger?????

C'mon man.. lets be serious...............

I am sure that you are happy about the ARK exhaust you just spent your pretty penny on. But please do not make false claims about other products that you have not tried personally. FWIW, I've tried 4 different sets of exhaust on my sedan, and I think ARK was the worst of the 4. However, that is just my personal opinion after trying all the exhausts.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 AM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I personally have tried 3 including stillen. My claims of pull and power are over stock not over stillen. Fitment/quality/sound is over stillen. And yes is a personal opinion.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:25 AM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
A$s dyno doesn't count! lol
Old 12-08-2011, 03:37 AM
bleu ardoise
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
I personally have tried 3 including stillen. My claims of pull and power are over stock not over stillen. Fitment/quality/sound is over stillen. And yes is a personal opinion.
Wow 3 systems already on your 2012? What was the other system you tested? I'm in the market but real picky about drone.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 AM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
I'm not a troll, I've had a twin turbo 350Z and lots of cars.

The exhaust is tuned from the factory, and the high HP design, high compression and high HP/liter means manufacturers aren't sand bagging engines.

I can explain how you can fake 5-10 hp gains on a dyno.

Every dyno run is different.

You run 5 runs on the dyno with the stock exhaust and you can have as much as a 5hp difference with no changes.

You put an exhaust on and you run 5 and you gan gain a few HP, and don't kid yourself that you can'T feel 5hp.

So for example stock

280hp, 282, 274, 275, 281 (Low 274)

After exhaust
277, 283, 281, 279 (high 283)

You have a 9 hp gain, but really you only have a 1 hp gain if you take high/to high.

I've been to places like ARK, they don't have a dyno, and there's nothing wrong with that, but we all tend to think anything aftermarket is going to make power. It's not true.

Most of the time if you go bigger piping you lose back pressure, which loses TQ and actually loses power where you use it and gains a little on the top.

Thank you very much for shedding the light, the truth hurts though, An exhaust is a waste of money when you look at the HP gain, it's minimum. Art Pipes + Y pipe and Mid Pipes yields RESULTS.DOMO

Last edited by warpeacelove; 12-08-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
kaoticdemize

Originally Posted by bleu ardoise
Wow 3 systems already on your 2012? What was the other system you tested? I'm in the market but real picky about drone.
Stillen/Ark and Custom. Ark has no drone at all. In fact as I stated in my original post it is a tad quiet for me so hoping test pipes will change that a bit. Stillen had some drone but nothing major, just didn't like the tone of the exhaust, wasn't unique enough from the stock tone.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 AM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by warpeacelove
Thank you very much for shedding the light, the truth hurts though, An exhaust is a waste of money when you look at the HP gain, it's minimum. Art Pipes + Y pipe and Mid Pipes yields RESULTS.DOMO
Though I agree (with BEER MAGAZINE) that a simple 'Cat-Back' won't do TOO much to add power (MAYBE a few HP at best), I do think that a combination of bolt-ons, SRAI/CAI + Test Pipes + Mid + X/Y Pipes + Cat-Back will add something. But still not much.

Forced Induction is really the key to power, OR shedding a ton of weight is the key to speed.

OP, glad you're enjoying your exhaust! I ordered an exhaust a few months back, I'll be back here to post DYNO results once I'm satisfied and completed with some minor mods to see if these things really make any difference.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:43 AM
basik

I've heard ark, stillen and injen in person and "personally" stillen was the worst. Ark has this unique sound but I wish it was louder..
I also have the stillen gen 3 dual intakes and it was the worst investment ever along with the annoying install with the worst fitment ever.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Tsugumo

I'm happy with ARK so far. My main goal was to improve the sound and look. If there is a preformance boost at all, and it sure feels like it in the mid-high RPM, then thats just gravy.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
My question then which Exhaust produce more HP/TQ Stillen or Ark ???? Excluding the sound factor from Ark.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:32 PM
kaoticdemize

^^^ that just opens a whole new can of worms lol
Old 12-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by MistAminER112
Though I agree (with BEER MAGAZINE) that a simple 'Cat-Back' won't do TOO much to add power (MAYBE a few HP at best), I do think that a combination of bolt-ons, SRAI/CAI + Test Pipes + Mid + X/Y Pipes + Cat-Back will add something. But still not much.

Forced Induction is really the key to power, OR shedding a ton of weight is the key to speed.

OP, glad you're enjoying your exhaust! I ordered an exhaust a few months back, I'll be back here to post DYNO results once I'm satisfied and completed with some minor mods to see if these things really make any difference.
Cats restrict power, so removing them or adding HFC will make more of a power difference. But it won't add HP to the engine, it just adds to the efficiency that gets to the ground.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
This thread brings the funny.

Quick Reply: Ark Grip Sedan