G37 Sedan

Potentially serious safety defect

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:34 AM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lol thanks for the heads up OP for this electronic problem, funny how these topics tend to always go out of hand with some of these insane responses on the forums...
Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 AM
rpkg37xs
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
how about taking the key fob out of range of the car i know when i get out sometimes with the key fob in my pocket the car will beep and display no key but don't know if it will turn the car off if you try to drive off ?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
It'll drive off like normal.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Guys, please keep this on topic.

Yes it seems relatively rare from what we know (which isn't much). However there are potentially serious safety issues from it. Not to mention that it's a huge inconvenience. Not a single person belittling the issue would ever consider buying this car if you knew that you'd have to pull a fuse or something similar to get it to stop. If you've experienced the issue, post your experience so that we have an idea if it's affecting multiple people. If you think it's no big deal to not be able to reliably shut off your brand new vehicle every single time by using the button to shut it off, just skip this thread and move on because you've got nothing to contribute here.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rpkg37xs
how about taking the key fob out of range of the car i know when i get out sometimes with the key fob in my pocket the car will beep and display no key but don't know if it will turn the car off if you try to drive off ?

As an FYI the car will not turn off. One time I was moving another vehicle around the block and left the G with the wife. She was even able to drive it although she said it drove slow (she was putting it in the garage) and said there was no key. It did not turn off though even with me being up to a 1/4 mile away.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:00 PM
irrelevant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any update on the fix for your issue rijc99?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:08 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Guys, please keep this on topic.

Yes it seems relatively rare from what we know (which isn't much). However there are potentially serious safety issues from it. Not to mention that it's a huge inconvenience. Not a single person belittling the issue would ever consider buying this car if you knew that you'd have to pull a fuse or something similar to get it to stop. If you've experienced the issue, post your experience so that we have an idea if it's affecting multiple people. If you think it's no big deal to not be able to reliably shut off your brand new vehicle every single time by using the button to shut it off, just skip this thread and move on because you've got nothing to contribute here.
BB,

I think the reason a lot of people, including myself, are not making it a huge deal has to do with it being called a "defect".
There is a difference in a defect and a failure...electrical and mechanical failures can happen at anytime and doesn't mean it's an inherent defect...just because 2 or 3 cars have had similar failures, does not make it a "defect" to get all worked up about and then go on and on about all the different scenarios that "could" happen "if" you happen to have this failure.
That's the last on this from me...
Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tejasg37x
BB,

I think the reason a lot of people, including myself, are not making it a huge deal has to do with it being called a "defect".
There is a difference in a defect and a failure...electrical and mechanical failures can happen at anytime and doesn't mean it's an inherent defect...just because 2 or 3 cars have had similar failures, does not make it a "defect" to get all worked up about and then go on and on about all the different scenarios that "could" happen "if" you happen to have this failure.
That's the last on this from me...
My thinking exactly. With computers controlling 100% of cars functions these days, a computer failure can have bizzare and/or dangerous side effects. When Infniniti issues a recall for this issue, I will gladly come back and say all you guys were right, I was wrong (meaning it's not an inherent flaw with the car, just an unfortunate consequence of another failure for a small sample of unlucky G37 owners. I still don't view this in the same category as the Pinto gas tank issue, but that's another conversation.)
Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I'm not saying that it's the same as (insert your favorite safety recall issue here). And as the OP stated as well as I did, no it doesn't seem to be widespread at this time. But every flaw that gets reported had to have a first person to report it. Of course Infiniti isn't issuing a recall. And they wont until the government forces them to, if this turns out to be widespread and serious. Nobody is saying it is at this point. The thread title says "potentially serious..." At this point is just a baffling, frustrating thing that has an owner completely unable to use his car. That is serious enough if it's your brand new car that you can't use.

Some may think it's trivial to them. Nobody has to care about his problem. But just becasue you don't care doesn't mean that it's not a big deal to the guy who just bought a brand new car and has people telling him to pull a fuse every time he wants to shut it off as a solution. This is a very big deal to anyone who has it happen to their car.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:00 PM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sooo I dropped my car off to the dealer today and they gave me g25 loaner. As I was leaving the dealership I noticed the dash display saying the drivers door was open. Tried to use the power lock switch to unlock the door, but it wasn't responding. I also noticed the map lights were on. Tried turning the switch to the off position but they still stayed on. So I manually unlocked and opened the door and slammed it to make sure it was closed. The display still said the drivers door was open. So I tried turning the car off but the car wouldn't turn off. I tried holding the start button and rapid pressing but it still didn't work. So I took the car back to the dealer and told them it was possessed. The technician said that happens when some small white box on top of the radio goes out. So i'm guessing he has seen the issue before. The loaner had a little less than 4000 miles on it. Maybe a future tsb or service campaign. Possibly a recall. I haven't had that issue in myar and i'm pushing 36000 miles. I think this issue started with the 2011 models. The tech also said to shut the car off you have to disconnect the battery.

Last edited by maxfinity; 03-06-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:21 PM
g37guy01

^^^^Did you get the service tech? Seems like you left the story a little open ended.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM
maxfinity

Originally Posted by g37guy01
^^^^Did you get the service tech? Seems like you left the story a little open ended.
Sorry, I was typing on my phone and pressed the submit button by mistake. I fixed it.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM
g37guy01

Small white box? Disconnect the battery?

Is that what the tech did, disconnected the battery? Then pressed the button to shut it off?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

So it seems like maybe it's not just one guy after all.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:41 PM
maxfinity

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Small white box? Disconnect the battery?

Is that what the tech did, disconnected the battery? Then pressed the button to shut it off?
I don't know exactly what he did. They gave me another loaner and I left. I over heard the tech telling the service consultant what the problem was before I left.

Quick Reply: Potentially serious safety defect