G37 Sedan

Potentially serious safety defect

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gee wiz
I agree. It's discomforting to think of the many scenarios that could occur, mainly with my wife as the solo driver while out of town. Odds are she will never experience this issue, but I'm sure going to instruct her on how to shut it down should it happen.
I think thats the bigger thing.....we on the forum are probably more apt to know WTF to do, just because we probably know our cars inside and out. But most of the people around us probably just know how to drive it. Not to mention that not everyone "keeps their head on" in an emergency situation.

When the tranny on my wifes Acura went out while we were driving, she was in the passenger seat saying she would have no idea WTF was going on, and surely no idea WTF to do about it to at least get to somewhere safe.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Imagine a driver pulled into his/her garage, hit the "start/stop" button once to shut it off, and then walk upstairs to the house. Not realizing the car didn't shut off because of this defect...< insert your ending of the story here...>
Old 12-07-2011, 01:29 PM
gbest03

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
Imagine a driver pulled into his/her garage, hit the "start/stop" button once to shut it off, and then walk upstairs to the house. Not realizing the car didn't shut off because of this defect...< insert your ending of the story here...>
Hopefully their carbon monoxide detector would go off.
If they had one, with a good battery in it.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gbest03
Hopefully their carbon monoxide detector would go off.
If they had one, with a good battery in it.
Even more fun......CO is heavier than air, and my guess is most people ceiling mount their CO detectors.

By the time it hits the detector, they wouldn't be awake to hear it.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:33 PM
tejasg37x

If someone doesn't know their motor did not shut off and they went inside, they probably shouldn't be driving cars....
Old 12-07-2011, 01:42 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
If someone doesn't know their motor did not shut off and they went inside, they probably shouldn't be driving cars....
If someone has hearing problem then they might not know.

If they parked 2 cars in the garage and the other car was running, then they might not know.

If they were blasting the stereo in the house, they might not know.

The list goes on and on.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:51 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

+1

The chances of this ever having a safety issue are so slim, it would have to be the perfect blend of defects happening to ever have an issue.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:05 PM
tejasg37x

If they parked 2 cars in the garage and the other car was running, then they might not know.

The list goes on and on.
There are plenty of visuals that would tell you it's on or off, unless you were blind...then you wouldn't be driving a car...i would hope.

Look, people can make up all kinds of probable scenarios for any issue, but in reality almost all of them are not gonna happen. If we had to make fail safes from all made up possibilities, we would never get anywhere and still be in the stone age.

I guess I came from a time when cars didn't do everything for you and everything was far from perfect...we had to learn and know things about the vehicles we were driving. Anything mechanical or electrical(electronics) can have a problem; that's just the way things are.
Nothing in life is 100% fail safe...but we have become a society of people that think everything should be.

If you want to think up all the possible scenarios of something happening with everything around you all day, you might as well just stay in bed...maybe that's not a good idea either, maybe the tv is too loud and you don't hear that out of control Toyota that came down your street and through your yard into your house and runs over you in your bed?

If you wanted to take it even further, you could argue that all garage door openers should have a CO detector to measure the CO content in a garage and should not be able to close if the levels are too high. I'm sure there are people that run cars with the door closed. See how ridiculous it sounds to keep thinking up more situations?

Last edited by tejasg37x; 12-07-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM
HappyG

There are plenty of visuals that would tell you it's on or off, unless you were blind...then you wouldn't be driving a car...i would hope. Look, people can make up all kinds of probable scenarios for any issue, but in reality almost all of them are not gonna happen. If we had to make fail safes from all made up possibilities, we would never get anywhere and still be in the stone age. I guess I came from a time when cars didn't do everything for you and everything was far from perfect...we had to learn and know things about the vehicles we were driving. Anything mechanical or electrical(electronics) can have a problem; that's just the way things are. Nothing in life is 100% fail safe...but we have become a society of people that think everything should be. If you want to think up all the possible scenarios of something happening with everything around you all day, you might as well just stay in bed...maybe that's not a good idea either, maybe the tv is too loud and you don't hear that out of control Toyota that came down your street and through your yard into your house and runs over you in your bed? If you wanted to take it even further, you could argue that all garage door openers should have a CO detector to measure the CO content in a garage and should not be able to close if the levels are too high. I'm sure there are people that run cars with the door closed. See how ridiculous it sounds to keep thinking up more situations? Sorry the sentences all ran together, but ever since the format change mine does this...
It was believed that it could never happen...but look, it happened, earthquark and tsunami destroyed a nuclear power plant in Japan this pass spring. If they had thought of this possibility that both earthquark and tsunami could strike at the same time and design the plant accordingly, then the radiation leak might have been prevented.

A car that cannot shut down could potentially be fatal. And if out is addressed accordingly, a life might be saved.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Just the existence of an automobile could potentially be fatal. In fact, 30-40k fatalities are caused by automobile accidents per year. Should we eliminate cars?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:23 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by Modme
Just the existence of an automobile could potentially be fatal. In fact, 30-40k fatalities are caused by automobile accidents per year. Should we eliminate cars?
Correct Modme, if eliminated half the people on the roads today from driving we would save more lives than a car not turning off.

I'm not gonna spend my time worrying about all the "what ifs" in life...

Everybody enjoy life without so much worrying...; )

Last edited by tejasg37x; 12-07-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:01 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The list goes on and on.
Huh, I can feel when the car goes off. I don't need to hear it. Also the gauges would show it. Someone who does not hear and who does not take extra precautions should not be driving. Even if I was parked behind a running jet engine I can tell if in fact my car engine is off, so I don't buy people can't tell.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:07 PM
g37guy01

It was believed that it could never happen...but look, it happened, earthquark and tsunami destroyed a nuclear power plant in Japan this pass spring. If they had thought of this possibility that both earthquark and tsunami could strike at the same time and design the plant accordingly, then the radiation leak might have been prevented.

A car that cannot shut down could potentially be fatal. And if out is addressed accordingly, a life might be saved.
Also putting the car in drive instead of reverse or hitting the gas instead of the brake. For the latter, I think that is more likely than the car not shutting off.

Your gas line could also rupture in your house. But like this issue probably a low probability of occurrence. Of course anything in life can happen but the driver is responsible for handling the unknown.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Also putting the car in drive instead of reverse or hitting the gas instead of the brake. For the latter, I think that is more likely than the car not shutting off.

Your gas line could also rupture in your house. But like this issue probably a low probability of occurrence. Of course anything in life can happen but the driver is responsible for handling the unknown.
Of course it is the driver responsible for his driving. But isn't the manufacturer responsible for a start/stop button that actually work as expected?

We forum members here know more about cars and I'm sure most of us would know how to shut off a car. But as another forum member already said, the general public might not be as knowledgeable and not aware of this defect.

Any any case, hopefully it is not a widespread defect.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 PM
g37guy01

Of course it is the driver responsible for his driving. But isn't the manufacturer responsible for a start/stop button that actually work as expected?

We forum members here know more about cars and I'm sure most of us would know how to shut off a car. But as another forum member already said, the general public might not be as knowledgeable and not aware of this defect.

Any any case, hopefully it is not a widespread defect.
Any car from any manufacturer can have a part that fails. A certain percentage of parts will always be defective, that doesn't make it a widespread problem, like the gas tank in the pinto.

Not being able to use the start button is a major annoyance no doubt, but two out of the hundred of thousands of infinities that are sold is nt by any means a portend of a serious safety issue.

A safety issue is what happens when your car dies in the intersection of a busy highway.

Quick Reply: Potentially serious safety defect