G37 Sedan

Potentially serious safety defect

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rijc99
Yes I'm in a loaner. I tried the long press and quick presses but no go.

Weird, Ive tried those in my car and it stopped the car. BUT, I was parked and not in motion. Im not sure Id want to try it while driving....I suppose its not too bad for the car if you pop it into neutral first.

I know that Nissan made a HUGE deal that they had "brake overrules throttle" since 2007 or something, right after all the Toyota issues popped up. So you'd figure at least that part would work but I havent tested that while in motion either.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MACS
There is a TSB for our driveshaft? I've had zero issues so far and my car will be 1 yr old the 26th. 13k+ miles so far.

*knocking on wood*
Im not sure it applies to you, definitely applies to us four wheelers

Sending you a PM in regards to a different issue.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
i think you are just overreating about the issues occur. it's very hit or miss
Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 PM
rijc99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
i think you are just overreating about the issues occur. it's very hit or miss
???

Yes its very hit or miss. Mostly miss. But when it hits... like in my case... it stings like hell. I'd like to be able to shut my off when I want to. And luckily in my case, I wasn't on the way to anywhere important so I was able to get to the dealer right away. It's not what I want in a car that's only 3 months old and in the other G25's case, 734 miles old. BCMs and any other components that had failed should not go out so quickly.

I pretty sure there are many people out there that wouldn't know how to choke out the car. Especially if they had this happened to them at night and there is no good place to put secure the car. Remember, once you stop it, it doesn't start back up nor does the alarm work.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:10 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it's a serious condition Infiniti needs to address, ASAP. I'd like to know if my car is affected, or I've been lucky enough to have nothing but misses...

OP, you're right on.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:17 AM
bleu ardoise
Registered Member

WOW based on the subject I thought this was going to be a real safety issue like loss of brakes, doors won't close or open, sudden acceleration, etc, etc.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:51 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a major safety issue like Toyota had but it is something to keep in mind. I know it's a major inconvenience. 30k miles with no major issues and i've had An aftermarket alarm with remote start installed on the car since about 3k miles. Maybe one of those tsunami vehicles. That's weird. I have a 2010 sedan btw. Had this happened after hours I would have been putting this free roadside assistance to use.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by maxfinity
Not a major safety issue like Toyota had but it is something to keep in mind. I know it's a major inconvenience. 30k miles with no major issues and i've had An aftermarket alarm with remote start installed on the car since about 3k miles. Maybe one of those tsunami vehicles. That's weird. I have a 2010 sedan btw. Had this happened after hours I would have been putting this free roadside assistance to use.
Well, its very possible it could turn INTO a Toyota-like issue......if the "emergency shut down" feature fails at the right time, its the same as what happened with Toyota/Lexus: potentially a car accelerating out of control with no way to shut it down.

As I said previously, Nissan was proud enough to advertise that they've had "brake takes priority" in their cars since 2007......I suppose we all might want to test that it actually works in our cars!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:39 PM
K52G

I had a similar problem with my '09 G37xS a few weeks back, car would not respond to the start/stop button to turn off, no power locks, etc. Very long story but it was after hours and after trying a million things did get it to turn off. Roadside Assist took it to the dealer. Car was there for about a week. Problem was the BCM went bad. After the replacement, everything seems fine now but it was a pretty strange feeling not having a backup way to shut down the car.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:39 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Somethings to keep in mind.

Having a run away condition (engine revving up on its own) is much different than one that simply doesn't turn off. Indeed this is a huge safety concern and crash potential is very high.

OTOH, a car that won't turn off won't kill you (anyone remember Christine?). Some suggestions such as pulling the fuel pump fuse is one way to kill it. If it's a stick, just stall it. Either way, you should still be able to manually lock the doors. If the car sits for too long before being seen by the dealer, the battery will likely run down, but aside from inconvenience, I don't really see it as much of a safety issue.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:29 AM
maxfinity

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Well, its very possible it could turn INTO a Toyota-like issue......if the "emergency shut down" feature fails at the right time, its the same as what happened with Toyota/Lexus: potentially a car accelerating out of control with no way to shut it down.

As I said previously, Nissan was proud enough to advertise that they've had "brake takes priority" in their cars since 2007......I suppose we all might want to test that it actually works in our cars!
Well in my car brake does take priority as I have tested. As someone mentioned if the car is accelerating on its own like Toyota was doing then I would be concerned. And even then I myself would just throw the car in neutral and hit the brakes. The car not shutting down is not a real safety issue IMO. It's more of an inconvience.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I think it's a serious condition Infiniti needs to address, ASAP. I'd like to know if my car is affected, or I've been lucky enough to have nothing but misses...

OP, you're right on.

Agreed... this is a very serious condition -- and one day if you had to emergently turn off your car and couldn't, you'll be glad they're troubleshooting this issue now to find a solution....
Old 12-07-2011, 08:35 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bleu ardoise
WOW based on the subject I thought this was going to be a real safety issue like loss of brakes, doors won't close or open, sudden acceleration, etc, etc.

??? are you kidding me, i can think of many reasons why not being able to turn off your vehicle can be a "real safety issue"
Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to say this couldn't be an issue, but two Infiniti's out of how many? I don't know if I would call this a serious safety issue...there could possibly be situations where it could be, but mostly not so much.

There are many reports of cars of all makes that use the key and cylinder that have had this problem too...it's not just an Infiniti thing, or keyless ignition.

As far as the Toyota thing...how many really believe all the hype? It's quite interesting how after the last couple of Toyota "incidents" were proven to be hoaxes the "incidents" stopped.
It sounded a lot like the Audi fiasco in the 80's that turned out to be bogus.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 AM
gee wiz

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
??? are you kidding me, i can think of many reasons why not being able to turn off your vehicle can be a "real safety issue"
I agree. It's discomforting to think of the many scenarios that could occur, mainly with my wife as the solo driver while out of town. Odds are she will never experience this issue, but I'm sure going to instruct her on how to shut it down should it happen.

Quick Reply: Potentially serious safety defect