G37 Sedan

Looking at a g37xS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:58 PM
massiveian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a g37xS

Hey all,
Iv been in the market for a new car for about 4 months now, and I have narrowed it down to a New Maxima or slightly used G37x

I have been leaning towards the Maxima more because living in NY we get snow and lots of it, and the problem I have noticed is that the G37x in this area hold their value very well and are usually few and far between.

I saw a 2011 G37xS sedan with 14,000 miles on it going for 34,900. the car also has the premium and nav packages. I love the ebony exterior and the red interior. Does this sound like an OK deal or should I be able to shoot lower than that?

One other thing, do the newer g37's use the same crappy material on the steering wheel which always scratches off, or did Infiniti use a stronger material on the newer cars?

Thanks Alot
Old 12-02-2011, 11:56 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Can't help you with the pricing, but as part of the purchase process, I'd narrow it down to one or the other. Once you've decided which, then start hunting for the car/price.

Both are very different cars. Are you looking for a sporty family sedan, or a sport sedan? There are several threads on here debating the merits of both, but if you're looking for the first, then the maxima is your car. With the infiniti, the family part comes second to the sports sedan part. Even at that, the true G sports sedan is the G37S or 637S 6mt (manual trans).

Something else to consider too, is that you can't get the true S in an all wheel drive model. Living in a similar climate as you (chicago), i'm all too familiar with how good/bad the rwd/snow combination is. I opted to go with the full S model and spend $$ on snow wheels and tires rather than get a sport appearance (which is really what the g37xS is) with awd.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:13 AM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally, I would opt for the G because I think it would make daily driving more enjoyable for the driver. Although, to be fair, the back seats in the G are pretty tight on space, an although I'm not familiar with the Maxima for a comparison, I would say that if your going to be toting your family & things around a LOT, I would move for the car with more space in the back & trunk.

Also, living in Detroit I would say that the AWD is a 'Must' for me, which is what put me off from the Maxima. I have the 2011 G37xS Sedan and I really love it.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:27 AM
massiveian

Well im 23 years old, and no kids. I think some of the features in the Maxima are better than the G. however from a driving standpoint, the G wins hands down.
I would get the G37xS because i feel the AWD in NY will be beneficial.

Because im getting the x it would be an automatic. how is the 7 speed auto in these cars? Iv heard some complaints.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:50 AM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you will not be disappointed going with the xS. I just bought a new 2011. Also, im not missing any of the features from the real "sport". The only thing really worth it on the real sport package is the wider rims and tires but those can be replaced easily. the car still handles excellent.

the 7AT is great. i've seen some people complaining on these forums but short of the DCT's from Audi/VW and BMW it is the best automatic I have ever driven. The 7 speed is nice and you have torque in all gears and the high 7th is good for highway cruising/mpg's. this 7 speed was designed for sport from the get go for the 370Z and as such its great for this car as well.

as for price, well that is bad deal for a used 2011 with 14k miles because i bought mine brand new loaded for close to that price. there are still a lot of 2011's out there leftover (albeit colors/options are dwindling) at least in my area and you can get a crazy deal on them. the 2012's are not a bad deal either but they are almost giving away the 2011's at this point. when you can pay 38 for one brand new or low 30's for one with already 15-30k miles its a no brainer IMO to buy new.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jepva
you will not be disappointed going with the xS. I just bought a new 2011. Also, im not missing any of the features from the real "sport". The only thing really worth it on the real sport package is the wider rims and tires but those can be replaced easily. the car still handles excellent.

the 7AT is great. i've seen some people complaining on these forums but short of the DCT's from Audi/VW and BMW it is the best automatic I have ever driven. The 7 speed is nice and you have torque in all gears and the high 7th is good for highway cruising/mpg's. this 7 speed was designed for sport from the get go for the 370Z and as such its great for this car as well.

as for price, well that is bad deal for a used 2011 with 14k miles because i bought mine brand new loaded for close to that price. there are still a lot of 2011's out there leftover (albeit colors/options are dwindling) at least in my area and you can get a crazy deal on them. the 2012's are not a bad deal either but they are almost giving away the 2011's at this point. when you can pay 38 for one brand new or low 30's for one with already 15-30k miles its a no brainer IMO to buy new.
No real help to the OP, buy I have to disagree with this;

"The only thing really worth it on the real sport package is the wider rims and tires but those can be replaced easily."

I think that's the least important with the REAL sport package after the BBK Akebono brakes, sport tuned suspension, improved steering ratio, and LSD rear end.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:57 PM
novaleadfoot

go to truecar and look up the infiniti you want and the zip code where you live...I think you can get a new infiniti G awd for the $34,900 used you quoted
Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Glicious03

Is that the one in Rochester? Ithe red interior means it is a limited edition model. I saw one in person the other day and the red looked much better than I expected. Then I did a nationwide search and the only one that came up was in Rochester. Good luck with it!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:52 AM
zoner

Agree with truecar. IMO get the sport for the seats.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 AM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
No real help to the OP, buy I have to disagree with this;

"The only thing really worth it on the real sport package is the wider rims and tires but those can be replaced easily."

I think that's the least important with the REAL sport package after the BBK Akebono brakes, sport tuned suspension, improved steering ratio, and LSD rear end.
The other things you mentioned are not what they seem. The sport tuned suspension on the regular RWD only consists of an upgraded sway. I could not tell the difference during my test drives, and it is the wider summer tires/rims with lower profiles that make any of the difference in handling on the skid pad. The BBK "akebonos" are also over-rated. There's a reason they don't use them on the X, it's a heavier car and while they look "cool" they are actually inferior brakes. The VLSD that comes on these is also a joke, there's a reason most 370Z owners looking for performance upgrade to a real LSD. With the X there is no need for it. I'm just saying, having the "real" sport was something I looked into extensively in helping to make my decision, and it's just not worth having it IMO over an X with the awd capability which will hold value better.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:58 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^Why do you feel that BBK's are over rated and inferior? While 4 pot brakes may stop in a similar distance as regular brakes, I do believe they get better feel/feedback/control. Also, what happens after repetitive aggressive stops? The bigger brakes/rotor will dissipate the heat faster, not resulting in brake fade [as quickly]. Interesting read: http://www.autos.com/aftermarket-par...ar-stop-faster

Agreed, the LSD really should be a real LSD, not this fluid coupled nonsense.

Don't forget, the different steering ratio offered on the sports model. I did drive a sport coupe and and a awd coupe back to back. The first felt very tight, responsive, turned on a dime. The latter had a softer ride, noticeably less responsive steering.

To each their own...

Last edited by JSolo; 12-04-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Razz

I had many manual cars in the past…I gave up on them some time back. Love drinking my coffee in rush hour traffic, let alone a lazy left leg. Tried out the coupe and didn’t like the armrest position door side. Also test drove the Audi, 335ix, Lexus and CTS. Winner of course was the G.

The x handles very well and is also fun to drive. Really fast and fun, how many times will you be power sliding around a 30 mile exit ramp anyway. I will post when I can find a manual non X to play with…

Your choice sounds as if it is made up…You want the G understandable.

I would be hesitant to buy a car of this caliber with 14k miles on it…Was it beat to $#it or the poor sole could not afford it? I made sure my buy had less than 10 miles on it…

Try to look at the leftover NO mile 2011’s, don’t get a demo…All the test cars I tested red lined in all gears..

If strapped for cash, wait and save a tad more and go new…Just my 2 cents.
Good luck and whatever choice you make will be the right one for you..
Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
i was int he same boat as u. i was looking at the brand new maximas. i love their style. the only reason why i didnt go with them i cuz i wanted the AWD and i was done with driving FWD in the snow. so i bought a used 07 X and never looked back.

highly recommend the X if u need it
Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 PM
1TUFG37XS

Get the G37XS you won't be disappointed! Maxima is just not at the same level. Love the power and how solid this car feels. AWD for winter, paddle shifters and sport seats in the sedan are nice! If that 11 is loaded it listed for 45k, and I would think that 33-34k is in the ballpark IMO.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Dabo

Originally Posted by 1TUFG37XS
Get the G37XS you won't be disappointed! Maxima is just not at the same level. Love the power and how solid this car feels. AWD for winter, paddle shifters and sport seats in the sedan are nice! If that 11 is loaded it listed for 45k, and I would think that 33-34k is in the ballpark IMO.
True, price can vary BIG TIME with options.
Also, (as I've recently discovered) you're only a set Hotchkis Sway Bars away from out-handling any stock version of G37 sedan. Truly awesome upgrade!