G37 Sedan

My G37x car was a loaner?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Gopher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some of you guys like to argue the straw man. I never said I trashed anything, I said I drive harder in loaner cars than my own. Its not malicious, but its a level of aggressiveness I don't always bring home--I do sometimes, but if for no reason other than consumables, it is not a full time thing.

Even the DEALER I worked with acknowledges most people (himself included) have a little extra fun with loaners.

Where the hell does karma come into any of this? I'm a bad person in your views, so I deserve to have bad happen to me? Grow up.

My gripe here is I was led to believe something because it was carefully worded. I didn't have to continue to demand a satisfactory answer, because I didn't think there was more to the story.

Do you guys demand the personal information of the prior lessee of cars you buy? Would they even give this info? I know BMW didn't even want to tell me my cars service history, let alone private information on the prior owner.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I didn't say you're a bad guy. I said you're irresponsible with other peoples' things because you beat on loaner cars (according to YOUR own words) and you ended up with one. So you assumed its been abused because that's how you treat them when they're in your care. Yes, that's what Karma is. What goes around comes around. If I were your friend and borrowed your car, would you expect me to treat it badly (aggressive as you phrased it) or with respect as if it were my own car? That's what I thought. If I dogged it out because it wasn't mine, I'd be a jerk, right?

Again, my point is that you have been given the option to return the car, correct? So where is the problem? If you feel somehow cheated because you think the loaner is somehow "more used" than you'd imagined (as if you can possibly know how ANY used car has been treated), then return it and be done with it. You are luckier than most to have been given that option. If not, keep it and know that nit everyone treats the property of others irresponsibly while it's in their care.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:41 PM
mjg

They teach children: 2 wrongs don't make a right. There is nothing spiritual about what happened to Gopher, no karma here. When you buy a vehicle, they don't give you a loaner car-care interview, because using a loaner car has nothing to do with purchasing a vehicle...

When they give out loaner cars, you sign an agreement, show them a license and your insurance. If damaged is done to the loaner, the person who last drove the car is responsible. Does that mean we should expect the car back pristine each time? The dealer doesn't even care, that's what insurance is for. Again, how does this excuse what has happened here?

I'm more inclined to question the credibility of someone that claims they never beat up a loaner car, if you find $100 on the floor, do you run around asking who it belongs to?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Micron

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

I think we're discussing two fronts:

1. Loaner cars, and how we drive them...

2. The issue of whether or not the dealer did anything wrong...

So here's a thought to settle all of it...

What is listed as "Type of Owner" on the Carfax for the vehicle?

If it says Commercial, then it's Gopher's fault for not verifying what he was being told in writing.

If it says Personal, then he needs to do more than just demand the new car, he needs to call the State Attorney General's office... In that case, the dealer really did pull a "fast one."

I'm sorry if I come across a little strong, but I'm exhausted from dealing daily with folks who would rather blame someone else rather than own up to not doing what they should have. Educated buyer or not, if you studied the wrong things, you're still gonna fail the test.

So... what's the CarFax say for Owner #1?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:06 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing many people fail to thing about is loaners and rentals are taken care of by the owner...rental or fleet company.
I would say rentals probably get better maintenance than most people's cars do. Their business is to make money buy renting out cars. If they don't maintain them and they break down, they don't make money.
Like Micron mentioned, it will say on the Carfax if it was a rental, fleet, or personal vehicle.
No matter what, people still should not "beat" on cars because they are loners or rentals. BB made a good point about borrowing someone's car...there is no difference...respecting property.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:54 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I would say if the dealer is willing to buy back then you should think about it if it bothers you. Asking for free anything could potentially be a loss on their books so they may or may not do it, whereas a buy back they can try to sell it again to someone that is willing to take it the way it is.

Personally I might consider a loaner depending on the condition. I have had some G sedans that are beat to crap with less than 20k, but anyone buying it could tell even if they tried to hide it, interior is a mess with deep gouges in the plastic, all four wheels severely rashed, and deep long scratches all over the paint. I was always curious does Infiniti reimburse them for this?
And then there were others that looked beautiful, smelled new, and looked like it was off the showroom floor with the same mileage. Even though it was a loaner, because it looked so nice one had a tendency to treat it that way as well.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by mjg
They teach children: 2 wrongs don't make a right. There is nothing spiritual about what happened to Gopher, no karma here. When you buy a vehicle, they don't give you a loaner car-care interview, because using a loaner car has nothing to do with purchasing a vehicle...

When they give out loaner cars, you sign an agreement, show them a license and your insurance. If damaged is done to the loaner, the person who last drove the car is responsible. Does that mean we should expect the car back pristine each time? The dealer doesn't even care, that's what insurance is for. Again, how does this excuse what has happened here?

I'm more inclined to question the credibility of someone that claims they never beat up a loaner car, if you find $100 on the floor, do you run around asking who it belongs to?
To address your 2 separate issues-

If the dealership did anything wrong (I'm not taking either side in that debate), they offered to take the car back. How has he been harmed in any way? What more do they owe him beyond that? If he feels cheated, he should get his money back and buy another car elsewhere. He will still get a car that he knows little about if he buys a used car from a stranger, dealership or individual.

As far as the loaner, it should be returned in the same condition you receive it. Yes, I put premium fuel in the G37 loaner I received because that's what you are supposed to put in it and that's what I do with my car. That's just me. If I found $100 in the car you're damn right I'd ask the service writer if any previous user had mentioned losing cash in the car, and if so how much and what denomination. If a legitimate owner claimed it I'd give it back. That's just me. If I found a $10,000 diamond ring under the seat I'd give that back to any rightful owner too, if nobody claimed it I'd turn it in to the police. That's just me. If its loose change I'd leave it where I found it. That's who I am. If you or your friend are less honest, shame on you. But it'll catch up with you eventually.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:14 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive my loaner JUST AS HARD as i drive my car

but if both cars were presented to you.....are you saying you'd take my car?

I think if the car is in good working order, then just keep it.

You got the car used right? whats to say the next car you get isnt in worse condition?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Gopher

Originally Posted by carz
I drive my loaner JUST AS HARD as i drive my car
Haha--good post and probably more accurate of myself than the perception I appear to have given others of me...

But to be truthful, no. I'm probably not the ideal guy I'd want to buy a car used from. I was changing tires on my BMW every summer and frequent break jobs too. Hell, I was changing suspensions out pretty quickly as well...

This is just more reason I would hope for a car that was babied prior to me, rather than having 20,000 miles of 'spirited' driving before I get to it.

Last edited by Gopher; 11-30-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
If I made a 25k purchase and was mislead in any way, sorry but I'd be looking for blood...
Old 11-30-2011, 06:13 PM
avsBuddy
Registered Member

I was with the original poster until I read that he rapes loaner cars, but does not want to end up with one. I consider a free loaners, such as one provided by Infiniti - a true courtesy. If everyone drove loaner cars like they would their own, you wouldn't have to worry about your purchase. So regardless of what you end up doing with your car, keep that in mind when getting a loaner car.

Little story: I test drove new G37S manual to get the feel of the car, with no intention of buying. I was tempted to floor it all the way, but decided not to be a jerk to the future owner (break in period). I didn't know that I would be buying that car 2 hours later, so driving it gentle was a good thing for me! Pay it forward - you never know who you end up being nice to.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:16 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I don't know what the laws are in NY, but they only misled you if they are required to disclose it was a loaner. If it's not required, then you need to do your own research. Ask the right questions. Maybe they only need to disclose if asked, and not voluntary. In anycase, I'm not saying who is right or wrong, but there is some buyer's responsibility. Are you saying if you bought a car and found out later that you could have gotten a better deal because you found out some incentives or trunk money that the dealer is not required to tell you about or offer, and you didn't ask about it, then you are entitled to some remedy by the dealer?
Old 11-30-2011, 07:51 PM
mjg

All you guys are attacking him for beating up loaners, and clearly missed the point --

Would you buy a loaner car? Had you found out it was a loaner car after the fact, would you have felt similar to Gopher? Who here has gone out of their way to buy a loaner car, and is a happy owner of one? Put yourself in his shoes, and stop preaching for a moment.

Black Betty; The dealer offered to make it right, kudos to them... The fact they let it happen, shame on them. Regardless of the fact mistakes happen, let's not lose site of the fact that what happened WAS NOT an accident. They knew it was a loaner car, he found out when he got a closer look at saw courtesy car decals had been on the car...

Dealerships make sales, and when they get called out, they SHOULD fix them. Does it mean we need to beg them to do a good job, and operate ethically? There is a reason for lemon laws, consumer affairs divisions, and the BBB. To protect the consumer.

Although you may be a saint, and pamper your loaner cars, it doesn't mean your going to get better service, or that the next guy may not romp on the car... He already bought the car, it's more of a hassle to sell it at this point then take the problem on the chin, and I have to wonder if the dealer realized that all along, and typically this is how they sell their loaner vehicles.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Micron

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mjg
All you guys are attacking him for beating up loaners, and clearly missed the point --

Would you buy a loaner car? Had you found out it was a loaner car after the fact, would you have felt similar to Gopher? Who here has gone out of their way to buy a loaner car, and is a happy owner of one? Put yourself in his shoes, and stop preaching for a moment.

Black Betty; The dealer offered to make it right, kudos to them... The fact they let it happen, shame on them. Regardless of the fact mistakes happen, let's not lose site of the fact that what happened WAS NOT an accident. They knew it was a loaner car, he found out when he got a closer look at saw courtesy car decals had been on the car...

Dealerships make sales, and when they get called out, they SHOULD fix them. Does it mean we need to beg them to do a good job, and operate ethically? There is a reason for lemon laws, consumer affairs divisions, and the BBB. To protect the consumer.

Although you may be a saint, and pamper your loaner cars, it doesn't mean your going to get better service, or that the next guy may not romp on the car... He already bought the car, it's more of a hassle to sell it at this point then take the problem on the chin, and I have to wonder if the dealer realized that all along, and typically this is how they sell their loaner vehicles.
All of that, and if the Carfax says it was a commercial owner, it's entirely Gopher's fault for not checking vehicle history. If that's the case, the only shame is in Gopher's court.

Which is what we've been saying, but you're too busy blaming the dealership and ridiculing folks' "sainthood."

Loaners, rentals, leases, fleet vehicles... they're all used cars with absolutely no way to verify how they were driven. So don't try to single out a loaner as if its some special variety of car that people only abuse.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:56 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Micron
All of that, and if the Carfax says it was a commercial owner, it's entirely Gopher's fault for not checking vehicle history. If that's the case, the only shame is in Gopher's court.

Which is what we've been saying, but you're too busy blaming the dealership and ridiculing folks' "sainthood."

Loaners, rentals, leases, fleet vehicles... they're all used cars with absolutely no way to verify how they were driven. So don't try to single out a loaner as if its some special variety of car that people only abuse.
i will say this being around cars like this every day.... New York you can't drive a loaner car under 21.... I think average people driving these loaner vehicles is about 50+...

loaner cars are washed and cleaned more frequently than some people take care of their own cars.

Quick Reply: My G37x car was a loaner?!?!