G37 Sedan

G37 as a commuter car

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's an excellent commuter car. My only complain would be the gas mileage for daily commute in the city red light traffics.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Dracunos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently purchased a G37, and I do some interesting commuting. I have to drive from LA to Imperial on occasion. Yesterday I had about five hours of driving for work.

It's plenty comfortable. I'm 6'0, 240lbs. The cruise control is great, the seats are really nice, very adjustable. I'm falling in love with the lumbar support. Overall very comfortable, although my last car was a Jeep Wrangler, so I might be pretty easy to please. That thing wasn't fun on the drive between San Diego and Imperial.

The gas mileage in the city is definitely not that great, though. I have to do some serious highway driving to get it up to 25mpg average for a trip, 20 with a good mix of highway/street driving, and I drive it pretty reasonably. But maybe I need more practice maximizing my mpg in stop/go.

The bose music system is great, which I find a great help on commutes, as well as having XM radio (10$ a month for a cheap package), which is good for when you're constantly leaving your home county and all the radio stations change.

The only issue I have is I can't find a sweet spot for being close/far from the accelerator to put my leg at the proper angle so that I can rest it to the side, but with so many seat adjustments I'm sure I'll find it eventually. There is just a lot of leg room, so when I try to lean my leg to the side in a good spot where it can relax, but still can turn and reach the brakes and accel, it'll be a little achey when I get home after a long drive or two.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:34 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
As a commuter car I think it should work fine. Although in my experience I find it takes a bit of adjusting. I have had non sport sedans in the past (i.e Honda's, C300) as daily drivers for some time and they are generally boring, but boring suits traffic. Soft ride, little feedback, etc...The car just rolls along while you look at the red lights.

With the G I find it wants to move, like a tiger on a chain, and in traffic well thats not going to happen. Again takes adjusting to, maybe its just me.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Meanie

Work is only 30 miles away but along the clogged highways or bail out back roads of greater Boston it takes 45 to 60 minutes each way. I am, shall we say, broad of beam, yet I love the sport seats. I have no problems with them for a commute or a lengthy road trip. I have a prosthetic leg (left) and find the front extension thigh support really helpful for that. I generally get 22 mpg in mixed driving, which ain't bad for a powerful, awd sports sedan. I agree about the road noise and I have recently developed a rear rattle I have yet to track down (2010 w22k), but the engine noise when you tap the throttle a little is just sweet. I prefer this not boring car for a boring commute. It entertains just weaving through traffic or an occasional blast by a would be lane jumper. I haven't felt this connected to a car since my old MG and that ineffable feeling makes even rush hour less frustrating and more fun.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 AM
parasailing

Thanks to all who have replied. I went to the SF auto show tonight and spent about 30 minutes alone sitting in both the G25 Journey which I assume has the same seats as the G37 and G37S . I also tried the Audi A4, BMW 3 coupe since I didn't see the 3 series sedan, and the Acura TL and found the Infiniti overall more comfortable espeically in the area of thigh support and firm cushioned seats.

The sports seat seems to provide a tad more support with the manual thigh extension and the ability to squeeze the side bolsters but the regular seats were just as comfortable. My only concern with the sport seats is the option also comes with a sportier suspension which might be a tad too stiff especially for long commutes but will take a test drive to see how both feel on the highway. Does anyone have the sport package and can comment on this?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:15 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by parasailing
Thanks to all who have replied. I went to the SF auto show tonight and spent about 30 minutes alone sitting in both the G25 Journey which I assume has the same seats as the G37 and G37S . I also tried the Audi A4, BMW 3 coupe since I didn't see the 3 series sedan, and the Acura TL and found the Infiniti overall more comfortable espeically in the area of thigh support and firm cushioned seats.

The sports seat seems to provide a tad more support with the manual thigh extension and the ability to squeeze the side bolsters but the regular seats were just as comfortable. My only concern with the sport seats is the option also comes with a sportier suspension which might be a tad too stiff especially for long commutes but will take a test drive to see how both feel on the highway. Does anyone have the sport package and can comment on this?
If you find the sport seats comfort acceptable I'd jump on the S package. It's the one package that gives you the most bang for the buck and you get a real good list of upgrades. The ride is a bit firmer but nothing that would deter from the daily drive. You're going to feel rough roads and bumps almost the same in either the S or Journey.

Getting the bigger (and nicer-looking) brakes, the paddle shifters (if you get an AT), the more adjustable seats, aluminum peddle inserts, Limited slip differential, and a much better 18" tire & wheel combo (the 17" stock Goodyear RS-As and fugly wheels should be replaced at purchase) make it THE DEAL.
Like I said earlier, we've had 2 non-sport models and if my wife could have lived w/ those seats both our Gs would have been S models, you won't regret it for sure. Plus the red S on the trunk looks balla
Old 11-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Saltin
Registered Member

The seats are really comfortable, in my opinion, but if I had to drive a car daily, I wouldnt choose a G - it's not good on gas at all. I bought my G because I put like 8000 miles a year on my car and I just want something fun to drive when I do.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:28 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltin
The seats are really comfortable, in my opinion, but if I had to drive a car daily, I wouldnt choose a G - it's not good on gas at all. I bought my G because I put like 8000 miles a year on my car and I just want something fun to drive when I do.
In my opinion, if gas mileage is something a buyer is concerned, daily driver or not, the G is not the right car for the buyer. That being said, there is nothing wrong driving a G as a daily commuter car. Just drive and enjoy it.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:42 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I got my G Sedan 11' in September. Very comfortable ride, not to mention my work is only 8 miles away from home, which saved me a lot of gas. on my way back usually I take freeway instead to test the MPG. so far very good, MPG for city around 20, MPG for highway around 30, mix of 25, overall, great car!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Meanie

Does anyone have the sport package and can comment on this?[/quote]

I do but on an x the sport package does not include the suspension, brake or differential upgrade. I'm not sure why and I don't buy that the awd mechanism gets in the way. I think it is some twisted notion around packaging, just like you can't get an IPL sedan. Your original post asked about a place to rent. I haven't looked in SF, but the LAX Hertz has a lot of sedans, so I would check for the Hertz collections (either prestige or sports) in the Bay area. Don't know if you can rent a coupe or vert. When you are looking to drop 40k plus it makes sense to spend a few bucks renting for a weekend or so to make sure it is what you want.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by parasailing
I just joined the forum and I am impressed with community and support here on this forum. Hopefully I can contribute to this forum by joining my fellow G37ers but my biggest concern is whether this car offers comfortable seats for a long commute.

I know it might not be the most practical car for this purpose but I don't want to drive a numb feeling car and if I have to commute every day, I might as well be pampered .

Does any one here drive more than 45 minutes in this car each way and can offer some advice on whether the seat and ride is comfortable?

Anyone know where I can rent one of these cars in the San Francisco Bay Area to test drive for extended period of time to figure out if this car is for me?

The G37 Sport seats are amazingly comfortable. Fantastic for commuting, inmyopinion. I always get compliments from passengers, ranging from girls to friends that own BMWs and Lexuses. In terms of the non-sport seats, I've only ridden on those in sedans and they were not as good from the first moment. The thigh extensions are missing and the overall feel isn't as nice and soft as the S.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:44 PM
pride

I commute about 80 miles daily. The G37 Journey sedan is fairly comfortable but I would say changing the tires from Dunlops to Michelin Pilots helped a lot for smoother steering feel and ride noise. Made a ton of difference.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:48 PM
bleu ardoise
Registered Member

I commute about 32 miles daily and I find the sport seats to be just fine, long trips require a few rest stops but so did my Maxima. Gas Mileage is fine for me averaging 22 in mix of city/highway.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:30 AM
QueenCityG37

ive got the sport package..and i love the seats. they break in a little bit..ive got 700 miles on my G so far..and i came from a 06 3series bmw...and i LOVE the sport seats.

as far as the suspension..with the sport it is defiantly stiffer than my 3series..but i personally LOVE it..my dad has a 08 G37 non-sport and he thinks mine rides a lil stiff...its all a matter of personal taste.

keep in mine..with the sport package..your tire replacement costs are going to be higher.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 AM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're looking for Ultimate Comfort & Gas Mileage within the Nissan Brand, I would look at the M-Series. IF you want something more sporty or fun to drive on a daily basis, go for the G. Otherwise, if you want pure comfort look at Lexus. It doesn't get smoother or more comfortable than Lexus in my personal opinion.

I've had 2 G's, the G35x Sedan (2008) and the G37xS Sedan (2011). Personally, I think the Non-Sport Seats are more comfortable for cruising long distances/in a straight line.

But for me, I personally prefer the more stiff/bolstered Sport seats cuz they hold you in very well.

Sport suspension on the 2011 AWD is fine. Essentially you 'know' when you're going over bumps but you don't really feel them.

Also, tires make a difference. Get the right set.
Good luck!

Oh yeah, gas mileage ain't too great...

Last edited by MistAminER112; 12-09-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Quick Reply: G37 as a commuter car