G37 Sedan

Took My Second Test Drive Today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:22 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
It's a better sports sedan. ^^^^see above.
It is a better sports sedan if you don't account for the reliability into your definition. For me, I do factor in reliability. In my opinion, a sports sedan is meant to be driven, not sitting in the shop a lot of the time.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:28 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The BMW is a great car....but the G37 won me over after a test drive. From a price perspective, only the 328 is comparable....not the 335. While the interior of the G is less than ideal...perhaps inferior to a Lexus or Acura, its actually very functional and better (IMO) than the 3. I very much like the upcoming new 3 and hope Infiniti has something comparable by the time my lease concludes in August of 2013
Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
It is a better sports sedan if you don't account for the reliability into your definition. For me, I do factor in reliability. In my opinion, a sports sedan is meant to be driven, not sitting in the shop a lot of the time.
so what are the common issues with the 335 now except for the fuel pump?

i heard from so many on this forum that they visit to the dealership every other month to fix various issues. Rattling, seat bubble, 7AT reflash.

Also and the people who reported that their G went into limp mode for no reason.
Every cars have their own share of problem.

The G is a bargain. It has more power. That's it.
More power with lower price tag doesn't make it a better car. Else the Mustang, Genesis, etc would be the best cars of all time.

The bimmer has the fantastic handling that no other manufactures in the same class could duplicate at the moment.

Now with the new 3 series redesign, more power, upgraded interior, more standard equipment, and better fuel economy.
Infiniti is again playing on the catch up role.

I don't regret getting my G. In fact I enjoy driving it.
My mind is open. The G is a great car in the class but not the best nor setting any bars.

Last edited by kanariya; 11-17-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
reliability
Old 11-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shabadoo25
...and now I think I'm convinced I don't want a G.

I love the exterior looks and how it drives. I have not experienced any of the transmission issues that others talk about on either drive.

However, most of the interior of this car does not justify a $40k+ price tag. It's here where the Nissan underpinnings show through. I especially find the heated seats and side mirror adjustment ***** to be chintzy.

There also seem to be two really hard bars in the seats that press up into my hamstrings. I'm imagining them being uncomfortable on long drives.

Do these issues bother any of you, or did you just want a "bargain 3 series" and were willing to put up with this stuff?
If I were willing to "put up with stuff" I'd still be flying my BMWCCA stickers. I've been there and done that. I’m surprised to see a comment like yours if you are used to 3’s. I wouldn't use the "Bargain 3 Series" term to discribe a G37 or "Overpriced G37" to discribe a 335. I think they are different cars and value for price is clear to most.
Dependability, resale, performance, are most important to me. I also like the level of luxury offered by Infiniti. It's not perfect, but, I don't see a 3 series as perfect. JD Powers, Consumer Reports, etc. have made good calls IMHO.
Don't get me wrong, some BMW's make nice rides and the stereotypes of BMW owners IMHO, are often unfair. (Some of my best friends drive BMW’s. )
We all make personal choices based on our own experience, research knowledge and preferences. A car I own has to impress me when I buy it, the next buyer when I sell it, and me all the time between to two. Next car for me, I don't know, I hear the G gets a turbo soon? In a year or two I'll probably shop BMW 5, Audi and Infiniti again. I'm just not sure about the side mirror adjustment ***** on the G's.

Last edited by Boomer-Bob; 11-17-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: forgot stuff in copy paste
Old 11-18-2011, 12:14 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Owning an 02 745Li I can attest to problems w/ the BMW brand, but the 7 is loaded w/ so much cutting edge technology, and the 02 was a first year run on a redesign. I'd never own any BMW again after the warranty expires, but I do appreciate the attention to the driver & the overall attention to everything mechanical on a BMW. It's a car that's made to really get the most out your passion for driving.

I think Infiniti is doing the best impersonation of a BMW, and that's not at all a knock on Infiniti. They've been able to capture most of what BMW offers and keep their performance sedans high on the reliability scale. I just tested a 135i, and that dual clutch auto and smooth 6 is built to just let it rip. I really want to keep my cars a long time now, had enough taking it in the shorts every 2 years keeping a fresh car in the garage, Long term it's just too hard to justify a BMW purchase unless you've got a close family friend that's a certified BMW mechanic. They're pretty reliable these days up to about 75k then it seems that some real big ticket items start cropping up.
At any rate, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new or CPO BMW but I would replace it at warranty's end for sure.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I had my BMW for 3+ years, was in the shop a total of 5 times. One warranty repair on the antenna. Another to fix a damaged RIM.

So to your definition if the 7at problems cause the car not to be driven the G isn't a sports sedan.

We can bend this any which way and my friends who own late model 5 and 7 series have to issues with them.

And road feel, 0 to 60, smoothness, NVH have nothing to do with looks or reliability, all things the 335i, 335is, M3 excels at over other cars in this segment.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:30 AM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
I had my BMW for 3+ years, was in the shop a total of 5 times. One warranty repair on the antenna. Another to fix a damaged RIM.

So to your definition if the 7at problems cause the car not to be driven the G isn't a sports sedan.

We can bend this any which way and my friends who own late model 5 and 7 series have to issues with them.

And road feel, 0 to 60, smoothness, NVH have nothing to do with looks or reliability, all things the 335i, 335is, M3 excels at over other cars in this segment.
oW.. i see why you react very exaggerated in every post.

You own a BMW, oh I get it. then you gotta admit even more G is better than your BMW in all aspect.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:34 AM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
reliability
As a matter of fact, my G has more problems than my 3 did.

Let's see, G:
burnt out tach, replaced entire cluster, car in shop for 3 days as part had to come from Japan
bubbling dash, replaced dash pod
wind noise from rear window, dealer blamed it on something else. Not fixed.
clock illumination burnt out, will fix later

335:
Blown fuse, passenger side door lock wouldn't open.
That's it, nothing else

oW.. i see why you react very exaggerated in every post.

You own a BMW, oh I get it. then you gotta admit even more G is better than your BMW in all aspect.
LOL, you sure have a hard head. I'm not sure you'll ever get it.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:45 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
As a matter of fact, my G has more problems than my 3 did.

Let's see, G:
burnt out tach, replaced entire cluster, car in shop for 3 days as part had to come from Japan
bubbling dash, replaced dash pod
wind noise from rear window, dealer blamed it on something else. Not fixed.
clock illumination burnt out, will fix later

335:
Blown fuse, passenger side door lock wouldn't open.
That's it, nothing else

LOL, you sure have a hard head. I'm not sure you'll ever get it.
I agree.

There are some common truisms out there, based on years of test and reviews, not some fly by night who someone quoted to make a point. There are two things:

- what people have said
- they way the car drives

Sometimes for #1, there is a mixed bag. But the 3 series since the e46 has had enough reviews there is a consistentency in the way the cars capabilities are reported. Also with regard to #1, people use the internet forums as a guage of reliability.

Sometimes for #2, people actually haven't driven the car to know actually how it drives. In the case of our friend I believe this is actually the case so instead of admitting it he uses fake arguements of looks, interior, reliability, and price comparable 328 to deflect from the real point: that is BMW offers a line of vehicles that have more luxury and performance as you pay more. What he forgets to mention is the Americans have a line of vehicles that you can pay less(SRT8) and still beat the Infiniti.

Last edited by g37guy01; 11-18-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:03 AM
JMP0323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^
LOL We should start a BMW 3 series sub forum in here for both of yall already.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:09 AM
hollywhip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
san~man & g37guy01, if you guys regret of your purchase, go trade for a 335 then talk on bimmer forum. really it's irritating see you guys post everywhere with your '3-SERIES LOVE"
Wow,.. THEN WHY WOULD YOU BUY G37 INITIALLY?
Thank You Johnnie I was hoping somebody else would chime in I tried and only got some smart **** response like get back on topic (Go Figure) I never even considered a Bummer got a G and have no regrets whatsoever
Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 AM
HBSURFDAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a funny read. So many insecurities on both sides of this discussion. I have to wonder at the motivation of the OP, just stirring **** for the fun?
There is a reason McDonalds and Burger King can both succeed on the same corner, people have different tastes, and by definition, different OPINIONS.

I know a guy who lived next door to a guy who had a cousin who said they were both good cars.

HBSURFDAD
Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 AM
hollywhip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the Americans have a line of vehicles that you can pay less(SRT8) and still beat the Infiniti.
You failed to mention those domestic POS have to have the extra two cylinders to accomplish it. Find another 6 that's got the HP of the G domestic or import.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:40 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought my 2010 G37, 16,000 miles and a year and a half ago to use mostly on highway trips.
I have had zero problems with it to date.
Before then I had 2 Jeep GC's back to back that I used for trips and thought It would be more entertaining to drive a sport sedan, if we could manage to get all our luggage and dog in it.
I considered a 335i,A4 and the G37. Nixed the A4 because of the 4 cylinder. That left the G37 and the 335i.
Years ago I had a 540i that I really liked to drive, but it was constantly in the shop for one thing or another.
I never had the courage to take it on any extended highway trips, because I was too concerned that it would break down in some small town where I would be stranded.
The main reason I decided on the G37 was reliability. It was not to save money, that was just a bonus.
Reliability might not sound that important to someone that hasn't owned a vehicle that is always in the shop. Everything that broke was fixed under warranty, but it gets really old having to constantly bring a vehicle in and then go back to pick it up. The first 5 or 6 times I tried to be positive thinking I wanted the BMW so that's the price I have to pay, but as it continued to break down I started to hate the car.
The other nit pick reasons I didn't want the 335i were the run flats , tight back seat and smaller trunk.
I use every bit of space in the trunk and back seat area when I travel.

Tom

Quick Reply: Took My Second Test Drive Today...