G37 Sedan

I'm so glad I chose the G37 over the new BMW 3 series~

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the G over the 335iS as the interior luxury and tech in the 3 just didn't match up.

If you want to talk price, the G was about 1/3rd of my last 325. Of course, two different import duty structures in Thailand vs. US. Perhaps I was just hung up over the sense of going backward on the interior in the last redesign.

If I replace the TSX with a small sedan, it will be with the next 3.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Rickblkg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
You're still way off base. As I said, I have/had both.

I had upgraded sways on my G (everything else stock), and it was still nowhere near the handling capability of the stock 3 sport suspension. As I said before, when you upgrade to the sport suspension on the 3, you don't just get brakes as you do on the G, you get the a full upgrade.

I'm just clarifying the point you made in your OP, that "once you put sways on a G, it is 100x better than the 3." That statement, and nothing else, couldn't be farther from the truth.
Again man I am not saying putting sway's on the G make the G's suspension a 100x better, I'm saying as a whole it makes the car 100x better. I agree with you in my statement saying I loved the suspension and ride of the 3. Its just my opinion that once I put sways on the car it made me feel a lot better on purchasing the G over the 3.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by financeman
Actually a $12,000 difference if similarly equip....BMW charges for a bunch of stuff that is included in a G with the premium package. I just went out to Edmunds.com and priced out a BMW 335x equipped similarly to my G37x with premium package. Check for yourself. For instance, you will spend $750 in a BMW just to get sat radio and an ipod connection. Leather is extra as is metallic paint. One advantage to BMW is "free" service for the first four years...probably realistically worth about $2,500 if you are comfortable with 12,000 mile oil change cycles; which I am not. I traded a 2003 530i for my G37......and extensively test drove a 3 before making the decision. Actually I found the G surprisingly superior to the 3 series BMW in most respects except for engine NVH....the BMW 335i has one sweet engine (provided the highly unreliable fuel pump does not leave you stranded).
I don't know how you buy cars, but I buy cars based on how I want the car configured. This time around I wanted a loaded car, but I few years back I got a stripper BMW, only with leather, cold weather package, rain sensing wipers, smog measuring hvac, better rims, etc. I skipped the nav.

While you are entitled to you opinion the G is the best car for you and has a better engine and suspension then the 3 series, it goes against how I perceived my extensive test drives with the 335, and most magazine/internet journalists.

Lest we not forget there is a bunch of stuff on G problems as well, although I haven't experienced any of it.

I never had a problem with my BMW 15K oil change. Whatever the manufacturer recommendation is I follow it. If it breaks, that is what the warranty is for. I love my G don't get me wrong, but driving a BMW 335 is just heaven.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:26 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO the G is the poorman's 3.

I chose the G because it's cheaper than the 3 at the time.

For now I'm almost certain that I'll switch to the 3 when my G's lease ends in 2013, unless Infiniti comes up with a blow me out redesign of the G.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:54 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
^ OK, let's toss around cliché phrases

The 3 is the foolish mans G.

I could have just as easily afforded the 335i. I chose not to waste the extra $10k for a similar car that I am not racing.
Perhaps it's purchases like these, where I have saved significant sums of money, that are part of the reason I could afford either.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kanariya
IMO the G is the poorman's 3.
I don't know about others, I could afford cars much more expensive than a 335i, but I chose to buy the G.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:32 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
^ OK, let's toss around cliché phrases

The 3 is the foolish mans G.

I could have just as easily afforded the 335i. I chose not to waste the extra $10k for a similar car that I am not racing.
Perhaps it's purchases like these, where I have saved significant sums of money, that are part of the reason I could afford either.
Have you looked at the sales figures of the 3 series (325, 335, m3) vs G (g37/ipl). I haven't looked in a while but I'll bet there are more 3 series sold than G.

I don't understand if you are not racing why even get the G, get a Maxima, Accord, Camry. And save even more money.

I opted for the G also but the 335 is just the better sports sedan.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
kanariya

lol it's funny how people get so defensive with the car they drive.

I also don't race my cars. The 335 is a beast machine and a blast to drive.
The G is not on the same level. You get what you pay for.

The current 3's interior may not look as modern but they use much better material than Infiniti.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:07 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I think we have a bunch 3 lovers on this forum, which is fine. But over exaggerated makes me sick of comparison without fact, or people just dont compare on the same pricing point

in my OP, im comparing the similar pricing level. remember
Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
I think we have a bunch 3 lovers on this forum, which is fine. But over exaggerated makes me sick of comparison without fact, or people just dont compare on the same pricing point

in my OP, im comparing the similar pricing level. remember
In my opinion I'm comparing capabilities not price. There is a lot of over exaggeration on this forum and this I agree with you on. And yes there are a bunch of 3 lovers that have bought Gs for various reasons.

The G IMO, along with TL is maybe the best value, not necessarily the best car.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:36 PM
turbo600hp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
come on Guys, take a easy. i think it is all coming down to personal preference. for myself, i can afford buy any car around 100k. but i am driving 11'G37s now. BMW 3 is great car, no question about it. for myself, G is fun and cheap, and enough gadgets inside. am i going to buy another G in next two years, probably not, i like to try something different.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:48 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Have you looked at the sales figures of the 3 series (325, 335, m3) vs G (g37/ipl). I haven't looked in a while but I'll bet there are more 3 series sold than G.

I don't understand if you are not racing why even get the G, get a Maxima, Accord, Camry. And save even more money.

I opted for the G also but the 335 is just the better sports sedan.
Because they are not what I want in a car in the price range I am willing to pay. They are not RWD, which I have been happily driving since the 70's.

Look back if you like. I have agreed with you that that 335 is a little quicker and better handling. That's nothing to do with the OP.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:55 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Originally Posted by g37guy01
In my opinion I'm comparing capabilities not price. There is a lot of over exaggeration on this forum and this I agree with you on. And yes there are a bunch of 3 lovers that have bought Gs for various reasons.

The G IMO, along with TL is maybe the best value, not necessarily the best car.
No one claims G to be the best in this era, like i said, im comparing on the similar pricing level. in which, G stands out in terms of quality and performance,

a 328 will be less likely competing but similar level to G, IMO.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:13 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

I'm very confident of my purchase over getting the 3 series, not only I saved a lot, but also I gained performance and luxury for what I paid for.

That is my point. do you understand? DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:50 PM
kanariya

I get what you mean.
I felt the same way when I got my G, but I guess everything will get old one day.

The G is a great car in value and on paper. But it's lacking in multiple department.

-Torque
-7AT
-Rattling
-Seat bubble

The 3 is also a great car. Infiniti certainly did not win any battles like you said over BMW.
Look how Infiniti's YOY sale keeps dropping while BMW is gaining sales for the past months.

PS: the one thing that the G annoys me the most is the throttle lag.
I bought a sports sedan but it hesitates half a second to respond to my foot.
Though the issue is much better with DS mode or over 3K RPM.

Last edited by kanariya; 11-15-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm so glad I chose the G37 over the new BMW 3 series~