G37 Sedan

G37xs vs g37s vs g37 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G37xs vs g37s vs g37 6mt

I'm the current owner of a 09 G37xS with Nav. I really like the car, with a few exceptions. BTW: I came from an 06 Altima SE-R 6sp.

I'm not crazy about the 7AT. Has a few too many rattles (but not really bad). Gas mileage is poor.

Without going down the road of where the next gen G is (i've done that too much), I need to pick a new car by April or so. I figured I'd stay with the G sine there have been enough upgrades to hold me over.

I like the new front end with separated fog lights. Interior is a touch nicer than mine and I like the higher-res Nav screen.

I have a bunch of questions, try to answer them if you can.

1. The G37x is fast (figure 0-60 in the mid-5's). Anyone ever drive the X and a regualr RWD back to back? I live in the NE so there are no RWD for me to test drive. I would imagine the RWD feel and acutally be quicker. Lighter weight and less drag (I know that the car defualts to RWD but there are still half shafts that are always spining). Yes/No? Experience?

2. I care about MPG. Not beacuse of money (becuase I could get a cheap car), but I don't want to consume so much oil. How is the 6MT real world on the highway compared to either the Auto RWD and AWD. The EPA is based on test of up and down highway speeds. We have no idea...are they downshifting at all? Lugging the engine? In other words....is the 25MPG highway rating low? Or can it be beat? Its the same as the AWD, but both are less than the RWD at 27MPG.

3. Are the stabilzer bars thicker on the RWD Sport and 6MT Sport when compared to the AWD?

Mike S.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
i've driven both, not back to back but the RWD is a bit quicker, something like a couple tenths 0-60. If you live in NE you'll probably have the need for AWD unless you've got a dedicated winter ride. I get about 26-28hwy mpg w/ 20" rims on my 09 G37 RWD. Before the 20" rims I was getting about 1-2 mpg better, so yes the 25 mpg can be beat, but this is on very open hwy in New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada so obviously YMMV. The 6MT has been rated very similar to the &AT mpg so I think you'll find very similar results w/ that car. I've heard the X gets about 3-5 mpg worse than the RWD but haveing never owned an X I can't say firsthand. From a few of those w/ 2012 Gs there does seem to be less transmission complaints but that could be biased since those w/ a brand new car are still in the honeymoon phase. If indeed the transmission programming has been improved since the latest TSB I'd sure like to know when it'll be available for our Gs reflashing
Can't comment on your #3.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) RWD feels faster in the straights, AWD has the AWD advantage in the twisties, but it still less fun, everywhere. I'd go with the RWD 6mt, but I live on the gulf coast and we don't really have a winter. We just have a few cold fronts that come through this time of year.

2) "I care about MPG" Ok, you're looking at the wrong car. Get a Prius or some crap like that. Are you worried that the oil will run out? Cuz it won't, even if we double our consumption, it'll last a dozen generations before we start to see any "shortage". In the real world, I beat 25 on the highway. YMMV

3) Umm, not sure but probably. Just get aftermarket ones and call it a day. You're going to anyway.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:26 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
1. I have owned the X and now the 6MT. Both are very fun in different conditions for obvious reasons.. The X will hookup better and blow away the 6MT off the line in a lot of daily driving conditions. There is no noticeable different in acceleration. They are equally quick. My new one may have a slight edge over my 07x due to a few extra horses.

2. I get about a 2mpg advantage on the hwy in the new G over the 07x. No problem obtaining 27mpg at 65mph with the 6MT. Most of the highways in my region could be described as 'flat'. if you lived in the Rockies you wouldn't get 27mpg.

3. The sport suspension stabilizers bars are definitely a little more rigid than the base and x but I cant recall the dia. There is a thread around here or g35driver that compares them all in percentages.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Among many other factors, you need to decide the importance (or lack there of) of a manual trans car. If you can't live without a manual then your choice is simple.

I thought I could learn to live with an automatic after a decade+ of manual driving... How wrong I was !!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
^ Good point. Thats why I went back to MT.
I get 'almost' the same car but the control I was used to.
I drove MT cars 26 years before getting my 07x. As much as loved it, something was always missing. I had it 4 years and when I drove it my right hand was always on the (AT) shifter.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The 6MT's have issues. The gearbox's are rough and the sychros complain, all the dang time. Mine in particular has the issue that some 6MT SE-R's had (loss in pressure). As for MPG, I'd image it'd be a little worse on the 6MT - no overdrive gear.

As far as quickness, off the line - the X takes it obviously. The 6MT, from a roll, should start going a bit quicker. Sways are thicker on the 6MT sport although not by much. There's still a rather large amount of body roll.

Gearbox sucks -- did I already mention that?
Have you considered the S4? or even the 335i?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Itchytoe

Originally Posted by eksigned
The 6MT's have issues. The gearbox's are rough and the sychros complain, all the dang time. Mine in particular has the issue that some 6MT SE-R's had (loss in pressure). As for MPG, I'd image it'd be a little worse on the 6MT - no overdrive gear.
The 6mt has two overdriven gears. They are 5th and 6th gears. If I'm not mistaken, 4th is extremely close to a 1 to 1 ratio, only a hair on the underdriven side.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:07 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read somewhere that g37x is slightly faster than g37 on the track and 0-60. I don't remember the result for 1/4 mile.

I'm trying to find this article but I can't find it. Not sure if it was in a magazine or a website. It was a reputable source, not a forum post.

Being slightly faster or slower isn't going to change your driving experience, you just need to get what you want.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:05 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned

As far as quickness, off the line - the X takes it obviously. The 6MT, from a roll, should start going a bit quicker. Sways are thicker on the 6MT sport although not by much. There's still a rather large amount of body roll.

Gearbox sucks -- did I already mention that?
Have you considered the S4? or even the 335i?
S4 and 335i are too boring.. Um what happened to your tranny? Loss of pressure?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:07 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
And for the OP, the 6MT will be fastest around the track since it comes with the aport suspension/steering the re050a tires. Also has the LSD and bigger brakes. It should also be better on gas than the X. On snow if you know how to drive a manual properly it wont be bad, but it wont be as good as the X.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 AM
bkbigf0ot

G37X is faster then RWD.
37X 0-60 = 5.1sec
37S 0-60 = 5.4sec

Infiniti 0-60 Times & Infiniti Quarter Mile Times | Infiniti G37 Coupe 0-60, FX35, G20, G35 0-60, I30, QX56, Q45 and 2011 Infiniti cars 0 to 60 stats!

the AWD grips better no metter what
Old 11-11-2011, 10:41 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bkbigf0ot
Unless the cars are compared the same day, on the same track those #'s are meaningless. Many different factors affect acceleration and handling such as the weather, elevation, track conditions, driver and so forth. Regardless I've own both and without a doubt the RWD is a lot more fun to drive. My G35xs was to drive, and my current RWD is . Can't put a # on that. Without a doubt I love and prefer the over-all experience and driving dynamics of a RWD vehicle better.

Last edited by gugarci; 11-11-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Cur

Last year I test drove a G37S, G37X and G37XS back to back to... etc. Infiniti of Nashua.

The only one that really stood out was the G37S. The suspension was, I felt, overly harsh. They all felt (seat of the pants) equally as fast. I now drive a G37XS and I don't miss manuals at all. I've driven them for the last ~30 years but driving 93S towards Boston everyday, I'm happily not clutching and shifting while sitting in traffic. If I feel the need to exercise my shift muscles, I just put it in manual mode and go to town with my flappy paddles. Can't wait to tackle the snow this winter!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gugarci
Unless the cars are compared the same day, on the same track those #'s are meaningless. Many different factors affect acceleration and handling such as the weather, elevation, track conditions, driver and so forth.
The article I read, they tested both back-to-back. X was also faster in slalom test. They did say the X was easier to drive but not as fun / on the edge as the RWD.

What OP should really focus on is:
1) AWD or RWD?
2) If RWD, manual or auto?

Simple as that...
AWD can always be converted into a RWD (carrying weight of AWD components) by installing a switch.

Last edited by devil2k; 11-11-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: G37xs vs g37s vs g37 6mt