G37 Sedan

G37xs vs g37s vs g37 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think that RWD would be a tick faster than the AWD from a roll. With less driveline loss and less weight I don't see how it wouldn't be.

The problem is they cheap out on the sport pack with the AWD. You don't get the sport suspension, quicker steering gear or Akebono brakes.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:11 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bkbigf0ot
The 6MT did 60 in 5.1 and quarter mile in 13.6 at 106mph in the road and track comparo.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Mike S.

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
1) RWD feels faster in the straights, AWD has the AWD advantage in the twisties, but it still less fun, everywhere. I'd go with the RWD 6mt, but I live on the gulf coast and we don't really have a winter. We just have a few cold fronts that come through this time of year.

2) "I care about MPG" Ok, you're looking at the wrong car. Get a Prius or some crap like that. Are you worried that the oil will run out? Cuz it won't, even if we double our consumption, it'll last a dozen generations before we start to see any "shortage". In the real world, I beat 25 on the highway. YMMV

3) Umm, not sure but probably. Just get aftermarket ones and call it a day. You're going to anyway.

I'm looking at the right car, but I do want to increase MPG's in some way. So by going RWD I'd gain 2MPG on the highway. Its a personal choice, small steps.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:54 PM
JMP0323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you also loose the Giant Akebono Brakes if you go AWD.

RWD = Greatness
Old 11-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Mike S.

Right about the brakes!

I special ordered my last car. It was going to be an 09 G37S Sedan 6MT with Premium and Nav.....BUT my car got "damaged in shipping"...yeah right. So I did the exact oppisite of what I wanted to do and went to the dealership and just picked off the lot. Nissan was calling my office everyday looking for the old lease back (SE-R) and I kept telling them my new G37 is coming soon. I was so pissed that the dealership did that to me.

I do love my G37xS but it isn't EXACTLY what I wanted.

I think I'm leaning towards Graphite Shaddow 2012 G37S Sedan 7AT with Premium and Nav. I'm going to get splash guards, lip spoiler and LED DRL. No front lip cuz I'm not crazy about it...looks too busy.

I'm be upgrading to a car that is a smidge faster, a bit better fuel economy, big brakes, sport suspension, better fog lights, shaper nav screen. I think I can be happy with that car for 3 years.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:35 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well in this article the G37S goes 0-60mph's in 5 seconds flat.
2009 Infiniti G37 S - Testing the 2009 Infiniti G37 sedan - Motor Trend

So who right and who's wrong. I really couldn't care if it did it in 5 or 6 seconds since I did not buy a G to be a drag racer. But the fact is that the AWD is 200lbs heavier, which means sooner or later flat out on a racetrack at high speeds the RWD will pass the heavier AWD G sedan.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:25 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
S4 and 335i are too boring.. Um what happened to your tranny? Loss of pressure?
dude...your gearbox doesn't grind? i'm so freaking tired of it. second gear especially. that and 3rd, 4th and 5th are OVERLY knotted. they call it "normal" though so...

what's wrong with the S4?! that's my next car...or maybe an M3 (2 different cars completely, I know) lol
Old 11-12-2011, 04:07 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
dude...your gearbox doesn't grind? i'm so freaking tired of it. second gear especially. that and 3rd, 4th and 5th are OVERLY knotted. they call it "normal" though so...

what's wrong with the S4?! that's my next car...or maybe an M3 (2 different cars completely, I know) lol
Hm that's interesting, mine doesn't grind! Don't get me wrong, I love the S4, i just can't live with the fact that I cant toss the *** out:/ and the e90 M3 is pretty good, a little pricey for what it is tho.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:19 AM
mahonesbones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for what its worth i have the x and ran a 13.28 last nite-13.6 my first time with no prep work a few weeks ago
Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Jayhawk815

Originally Posted by devil2k
The article I read, they tested both back-to-back. X was also faster in slalom test. They did say the X was easier to drive but not as fun / on the edge as the RWD.

What OP should really focus on is:
1) AWD or RWD?
2) If RWD, manual or auto?

Simple as that...
AWD can always be converted into a RWD (carrying weight of AWD components) by installing a switch.
Can you provide a link to this article? I've never seen such a comparison, I've read every possible article I can find on the G sedans. Looking over the various reviews of both the X and the S, the S is on average a few tenths quicker. The X also tends to not handle quite as well, with drops in skidpad numbers. Regardless, I've been more than happy with my X.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:12 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jayhawk815
Can you provide a link to this article? I've never seen such a comparison, I've read every possible article I can find on the G sedans. Looking over the various reviews of both the X and the S, the S is on average a few tenths quicker. The X also tends to not handle quite as well, with drops in skidpad numbers. Regardless, I've been more than happy with my X.
I tried to find it the other night but couldn't. I think I read it on my iPad but can't remember which magazine it was in. Perhaps that's why I couldn't find it on Google because subscription is required. I'll try to look for it again.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:38 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
^ As someone who has owned both I can safely suggest that if the X was faster than an S in a slalom test then it was either 2 different drivers, different conditions or some other variable (wet).
The over-steer generated from the extra front end weight is very noticeable and would prevent the X from turning in with the same response. It's the first thing I noticed when I bought my S, after driving my X 4 years. The tire setup also give the S the edge.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:48 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

I just found the article I was referring to. My memory betrayed me, the test was done with a G35 and a G35x. My bad...

page 10 - All-Wheel-Drive Sport Sedans - What? No Snow Tires? Rear Drive vs. All-Wheel Drive - RoadandTrack.com

Rear Drive vs. All-Wheel Drive: That Is the Question

For fun, we brought a rear-drive Infiniti G35 to our autocross and compared it with its all-wheel-drive G35x brother, in both wet and dry conditions with VDC yaw control switched off. We assumed the rear-driver would be quicker in the dry, given its ability to hang out its tail and help the driver tighten his line. But in the wet, we were confident the all-wheel-driver would have a tremendous advantage, hooking up better out of turns. Here's what we learned:

Well, we were wrong on one front, right on the other. Based on group average times on the dry autocross, the awd G35x proved itself faster, surprising us with its rear-biased manners and lapping nearly a second (0.9 sec.) quicker than the rear-drive G35. In the wet the G35x fared even better, 1.3 sec. quicker than the rear-drive G35.

Credit goes to the electronically controlled awd system, which maintains a rear-drive bias while endowing the car with improved stability. Don't get us wrong, the G35x still liked to hang its tail out, but the driver didn't need to be quite so careful with the throttle to keep the car's back end in check. In the rear-drive G35, the driver had to be far less aggressive with the throttle (and quicker with corrections) to post respectable times. Wet or dry, the awd G35x was far easier to drive quickly.

The G35x's center diff is responsible. From 0 to 10 mph, its electromagnetic wet clutch splits the torque 25 percent front/75 percent rear for good grip off the line; thereafter, the car is 100-percent rear drive until rear-wheel slip is sensed. Then, the diff can send as much as 50 percent of the power forward. Although other awd systems will produce different results, the G35x proves that all-wheel drive, properly applied, can give you the best of both worlds. — Andrew Bornhop
Old 11-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Mike S.

I'm honestly torn.

I want to stay with the G family. BUT it bugs me that I'll be getting the same car that came out in 2006 (as a 2007) in the spring of 2012. I have a glimmer of hope that the 2013 NY Auto show will shed some light on this. However, motortrend states that the next G won't be shown until NY Auto show 2013!

But back to the X vs. RWD 7AT Sport vs. RWD 6MT.

I live in Buffalo....I should get the X. But can't I just put really good snows on the RWD?

While I know the G isn't goint to win any environmental awards, I've made a mental pledge that my next car will get better gas mileage is some way. The RWD 7AT would meet that as I curently have an X. The 6MT EPA is tied with the X on the highway and 1mpg lower in the city.

I don't hate automatics. In fact, unlike 4 speeds of years ago, autos are as fast as their MT counterparts and more likely faster in day to day driving. However, I loathe the 7AT that is in my car. It does many things wrong in non sporty driving including;
1. Shift shock when slowing down without the AC on. (When the AC is on, the idle is likely higher and its all smooth).
2. Sometimes won't upshift out of 4th b/c it thinks your driving fast in the city, even if its just a matter of making a turn or hitting rough pavement (hurts fuel economy).
3. "Flare"/rpm jump between either 3-4 or 4-5 after restarting a warm car.
BTW: I've had BOTH reflashes done.

Maybe its time for a C350?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:50 AM
themajesticking

Originally Posted by mahonesbones
for what its worth i have the x and ran a 13.28 last nite-13.6 my first time with no prep work a few weeks ago
Sorry to dig up this thread but.....dude. 13.28? WTF were the conditions? are you stock?

Quick Reply: G37xs vs g37s vs g37 6mt