G37 Sedan

custom DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:59 PM
thebals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice work OP! Thanks for the link to the DRL relay unit. I have been looking to do a DRL install for a while now. Your method seems quite straight forward.

Btw, did you notice any battery discharge issues with the relay directly connected to the battery terminals? I just wanted to make sure that the relay does not drain the battery.

I might look for a different place to install the LED lights tho; the DRLs near the fog lights are too low for my taste.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:18 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think they look great.
Where did you drill the hole to route the wires?
Can you take a closeup shot of the fog lights, so I can see what the LEDs look like, wrapped around the edge of the fog lights.
Do you think your setup puts out about the same light as normal DRL?

On some of my longer trips I put on several hundred miles on 2 lane roads and would like DRL.

How do they manage to turn on and off by just hooking them to the battery? As you can tell I'm not up to speed on stuff like that.
Tom
Old 01-07-2012, 12:03 PM
1BadAssG

No battery drain whatsoever. This relay is made to completely cut off power when you turn off the car. I think it is way better than OEM DRL because you can easily swap them out to anything or any style at Amy given time.

And to answer the second question about drilling, no drilling is needed. You can stick the adhesive side of the LED strip to the inner ring of the fog lights and then feed the wire through an openning from outside to the inside of the fog light housing. It's really easy if you actually look at it yourself. I'll take a close up picture later today.

As for brightness, I mistakenlu starred at it for 5 seconds and I was blind as a bat. Also I let my girl drive it from far away towards me so I can see the brightness and it is bright as hell.
You can choose different brightness levels from the seller from eBay. Btw he's the best I've ever dealt with on eBay. He sent me a replacement under 2 days.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 PM
thebals

I finally got to installing the LED DRL's on my car. I chose to place the LEDs near the side of the grill, sandwiched between the grill and the bumper. I was very pleased with the outcome. I have attached some pics.

In the Night picture, the LEDS look washed out; which does not do justice to how the LEDs actually look. They are very bright but you can differentiate every individual LED when you are looking at it in person at night.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails custom DRLs-2012-03-06_13-26-08_221.jpg   custom DRLs-2012-03-06_13-26-20_916.jpg   custom DRLs-2012-03-06_19-28-58_240.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Shift

Looks pretty good!

Originally Posted by 1BadAssG
Ok so I finally got the time to do this custom DRL as I wanted to do this for quite a long time now.
It turned out really nice and I'm living it. The process took about 45 minutes from start to finish so not that much time consuming. Below is the video. Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ML...e_gdata_player
Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by thebals
I finally got to installing the LED DRL's on my car. I chose to place the LEDs near the side of the grill, sandwiched between the grill and the bumper. I was very pleased with the outcome. I have attached some pics.

In the Night picture, the LEDS look washed out; which does not do justice to how the LEDs actually look. They are very bright but you can differentiate every individual LED when you are looking at it in person at night.

Thanks!
The small LEDs blend pretty good, definitely a different look. I was thinking about LED DRLs but now that you see them on Chryslers, Kias & Hyundais I think I might pass. Cool that you tried a different take on them.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 PM
1BadAssG

Thanks!
Nice work. Looks sharp but not something I would do. IMO it takes away the originality of the G away but everyone has their own taste.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:57 PM
xzeus
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it looks pretty good
Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 AM
thebals

Originally Posted by blnewt
The small LEDs blend pretty good, definitely a different look. I was thinking about LED DRLs but now that you see them on Chryslers, Kias & Hyundais I think I might pass. Cool that you tried a different take on them.
Thanks blnewt. When I saw your reply, i was wondering where i have seen that user name before. Now I know; next up on my mind was the window trim vinyl install, and that DIY has been posted by you. Thanks for posting it. I am sure it has helped a lot of people like me try to do the viny install themselves.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM
thebals

Originally Posted by 1BadAssG
Nice work. Looks sharp but not something I would do. IMO it takes away the originality of the G away but everyone has their own taste.
Thanks OP. Totally agree about everyone having their own taste.

Thanks again though about the information in this thread about the DRL relay. Before reading this thread I had been looking for a post with info about ignition wire. This solution with the relay was much more straight forward.

Last edited by thebals; 03-08-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:01 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
anyone know how to do this so that the DRL's have an independent on/off switch?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Thanks blnewt. When I saw your reply, i was wondering where i have seen that user name before. Now I know; next up on my mind was the window trim vinyl install, and that DIY has been posted by you. Thanks for posting it. I am sure it has helped a lot of people like me try to do the viny install themselves.
If you have any questions regarding the vinyl just shoot me a PM. I'm definitely liking your choice of the micro LEDs, seems like you could do most anything w/ them without them being too obtrusive, I may use that type LED inside my headlights if I can muster up the bravery to pull the bumper & bake them, LOL. autovinylsolutions.com is the best source I've found for that vinyl, nice deals on full wrap kits too
Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 PM
1BadAssG

Originally Posted by myk1013
anyone know how to do this so that the DRL's have an independent on/off switch?
There's a relay that turns OFF the DRL upon turning on your headlights.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Anyone try the 'infiniti' LED's - but wire with this relay?

Admittedly - I like the ones you can get from the dealer - but the install is insane.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:48 PM
mishmosh

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Anyone try the 'infiniti' LED's - but wire with this relay?

Admittedly - I like the ones you can get from the dealer - but the install is insane.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. But that OE DRL LED kit is mighty expensive. I used the OP's relay kit (thank you) and bought some 3W LEDs from V-LED, 2 each on each fog area. I think it looks good although the LED units stick out more than I'd like. Hella also makes a string of LEDs you can use but they are pricey as well.

Name:  G35LED1959.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  99.1 KB

Last edited by mishmosh; 03-11-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: custom DRLs