G37 Sedan

Planning Ahead - Purchasing a G37 (hopefully X)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Mystic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning Ahead - Purchasing a G37 (hopefully X)

This may seem a bit long term for some people but I like to play way ahead! I will be graduating college in May and already have a job secured to start working right away. I hoped to save (and then use) a large portion of my generous salary and use part of my savings to purchase a newer used G37 (hopefully an X) by December 2012. I just started learning about the G37 about a month ago so I'm probably way behind most of you here in terms of knowledge. From what I've found so far (please feel to correct me if I'm wrong) is that the G37 is a powerful yet affordable entry level luxury vehicle with plenty of tech/other amenities included that competitors charge quite a bit for (non standard). Coming from a 1997 Saturn SC2, I'm sure everybody can see why I'm attracted to the G37.

From the way things look right now, the 2010 can be had for around $25,000 (Autotrader). From my research so far it doesn't seem like the 2011 differs that much from the 2010. Regardless of that, I was hoping to score a 2011 for about $25,000 by next December due to depreciation. Guess I just have to solve the problem about traveling 300+ miles to get one for that price because unfortunately around Nebraska, it seems prices are $4,000-$5,000 higher.

While browsing today I did see a thread about users who had window tinted their G37s and I determined I must have this!!! Loving the look of 20%. On average how much would I expect to pay for something like that?

Hopefully I haven't bored everybody with the story above. I just wanted to post about what I'd found so far and have people chime in about whether or not any of the above is accurate. Please feel free to share your thoughts. Hope to be joining the G37 club soon!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:37 PM
tallbrownie

new car

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Well are you looking new or used?

Lease or finance? or full out purchsae?

I read autotrader so was wondering are you in canada?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Mystic

-A newer used model so hopefully a 2011.
-Will probably have to finance around $10,000 or less. Fairly new to how autoloans work as I only paid cash for my previous car. I would love to go to a dealer with a check in hand because I would think I could get an even better deal, but I'm not sure if it's possible.
-Autotrader.com - Nebraska, USA
Old 10-27-2011, 03:49 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
2010-2012 are essentially the same.

$150 - $200 for quality tint w/ lifetime warranty.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM
pkvir

I too was in the market for a newer used G37, either a 10 or 11. After looking at a 10 with 25K miles for $25K and two 11's with about 13K miles for about $29K, I decided on 39 month lease with a new one and the payments were less. If you can find a used one from a private owner who loved his car, thats the way to go. The ones I looked at were un-loved and I was pressed to buy so I went new. The G is an amazing car and I am very happy with my decision and when my 3 year lease is out, there should be a new body style out to get into. The money I saved in down payment and monthly payments will go into a special savings account for a future decision. Good luck and you are looking at the right car.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Mystic

Originally Posted by pkvir
I too was in the market for a newer used G37, either a 10 or 11. After looking at a 10 with 25K miles for $25K and two 11's with about 13K miles for about $29K, I decided on 39 month lease with a new one and the payments were less. If you can find a used one from a private owner who loved his car, thats the way to go. The ones I looked at were un-loved and I was pressed to buy so I went new. The G is an amazing car and I am very happy with my decision and when my 3 year lease is out, there should be a new body style out to get into. The money I saved in down payment and monthly payments will go into a special savings account for a future decision. Good luck and you are looking at the right car.
How could you tell it was "un-loved"?

Also I just wanted to throw this out there; I love the look of the beige/light brown interior but it seems like barely any of the G37's out there have it!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:28 PM
irrelevant

For 25k, I'd expect a 2010 X sedan to be a stripper model. Maybe in a couple of years.

We paid 31k for our 2009 X sedan, with premium & nav packages back in March. It had 11,000 miles, and was only one year into the warranty, so that contributed to a bit higher price. I'm sure if we'd waited a few months and kept looking we could have found a better deal, but I'd already been looking six weeks when this one popped up, and it was the color my wife wanted. I'd spent enough time looking.

Hard to think a well-equipped 2010 or 2011 X without high mileage is going to go for $25k a year from now. Maybe they will.

In any event, you'll love the car! Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Mystic
-A newer used model so hopefully a 2011.
-Will probably have to finance around $10,000 or less. Fairly new to how autoloans work as I only paid cash for my previous car. I would love to go to a dealer with a check in hand because I would think I could get an even better deal, but I'm not sure if it's possible.
-Autotrader.com - Nebraska, USA
Your in Nebraska? I'm in Nebraska to hmu I can point you in the right direction if you want a g37x.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 PM
zoner

Since you are a new grad... and I don't know how generous your salary is. Be prepared to feed it a lot of fuel. I personally don't care about how much I put in it as it is worth the driving experience but there seems like a lot of gripes in the forum about gas mileage. 328hp on tap doesn't come cheaply, and plan extra for the "x" factor.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:05 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I would get a new one here. These are my reasons why. Since your going to have a generous salary you actually will not need to put that much down to get a car, you will qualify for the Infiniti graduate program which qualifies you for special apr. So if you can do a decent car payment you can get a new one But here is the catch, it usually will apply to a fairy recent grad, 1-5 months. The financing on a used vehicle will be much higher then an estimated 1.9% you would get on a new car so it would balance itself out. Just some food for thought for you.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:51 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd suggest get a new car. even though 2010 and 2011 and 2012 wont be much different, but consider driving a brand new car, you will be much caring about your car, like I do.
used car you dont know if it's a leased vehicle or previous owner driving it to death or they fill up 87 instead of premium gas, everything could happen .. just my suggestion, if you can, drive a new car!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 PM
irrelevant

To each their own. By buying a one year old car, we saved at least $7k...much more if the previous owner wasn't a phenomenal negotiator. That means the previous owner paid at least 64-cents per mile in depreciation costs alone to drive a new car...that was really only new until he or she drove it off the dealer's lot.

We pay cash for our vehicles, so we don't need to consider financing costs beyond opportunity cost. I'm not a fan of financing depreciating assets - or "renting" vehicles by leasing.

Certainly if the OP needs to finance the purchase (or lease), the interest rate difference between new and used should be considered. Khaoticdemize brought up a good point.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Wet Doggg

Hi guys...first post here and felt it fitting as I just bought a used G37x today. I have been shopping for about six months off and on and was not going to pull the trigger unless the right deal came along. I had no need to replace the vehicle.

I ended up buying a 2010 G37x with 21,000 miles. Premier and Nav packages. Car is in essentially showroom condition. Price I paid was $26,500 before TTL. From what I had seen the past six months I did very well.

Hoping to contribute as I learn the vehicle more.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
^^ def good price.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:34 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
congrats... take your time in finding a car

Quick Reply: Planning Ahead - Purchasing a G37 (hopefully X)