G37 Sedan

Annoying center console trim piece creaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:24 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had this center console creaking from day 1... my wife has an '08 G35x with the same interior as my '09 .. and hers does not

I can reproduce the creaking just by pushing laterally on the center console..

yes, annoying, cheapens the ride.
The following users liked this post:
jsc27 (02-11-2020)
Old 10-23-2011, 01:06 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i get buzzing or ringing noises from both sides of my car drives me nuts... cause it always seems to happen during the dead spots of my playlist...
Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Coupe Daddy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone find how to take the center console apart? I just started having this problem after having my car for almost 3 years. Extremely annoying.

edit: Nevermind. Looks like it is on page 13 of this document

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Coupe/2008/ip.pdf

Last edited by Coupe Daddy; 01-25-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Coupe Daddy

Tonight I did the following:

Disclaimer: Perform procedure at your own risk!

1. Turned car on. (Note: you can turn the car off but the beeping sound is annoying)
2. Put the car in Drive (position to get the console off eventually)
3. Engaged the emergency brake (also kept my foot on the brake for good measure)
4. Pulled down the aluminum collar right underneath the shift **** (give it a firm tug)
5. Pulled cotter pin from bottom of shift **** (watch out. it'll fly away on you)
6. Pull up on shift **** to remove it
7. Stuck a #1 flathead screwdriver (carefully) into the seam between the aluminum console (where it meets up with the plastic console that surrounds the seat heater switches) and popped out the bottom of the aluminum console piece
8. opened the "ashtray" (don't know if this was necessary though)
9. Firmly tugged down on the top of that console piece to completely free it.
10. Pulled the console piece over the shift shaft

At this point I pushed (laterally) on the center console from both sides and there was not a single "two Styrofoam cups rubbing together" sound any longer. Yes! No further disassembly required.

At this point I started putting small strips of the soft side of thin Velcro on the sides of the console that touch the console piece I removed. Also, I placed small strips of electrical tape on each side of the 4 slits where the console piece snaps in place.

11. Reassembled everything
12. Pressed on the center console. No more noise!

Hope this helps somebody. Just be careful not to break or scratch anything.
krazyfiend (04-13-2014)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I generously sprayed my center console with armor all and that helped out with the squeaks.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Coupe Daddy

Originally Posted by trcb777
I generously sprayed my center console with armor all and that helped out with the squeaks.
That may a fix, but a temporary one.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:48 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My G has no rattles but it does creak and crack from time to time from the center console and the controller area. You will also get noise from the AC vents when you manually change temps in the car. I've learned to ignore most of them.

For a 40K car the G has a really cheap inexpensive interior. They should of use better material. But at least it's attractive. My favorite creak/crack noise is the one that occurs out of the blue when the the car is perfectly still.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:20 AM
TheDarkSide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coupe Daddy
Tonight I did the following:

Disclaimer: Perform procedure at your own risk!

1. Turned car on. (Note: you can turn the car off but the beeping sound is annoying)
2. Put the car in Drive (position to get the console off eventually)
3. Engaged the emergency brake (also kept my foot on the brake for good measure)
4. Pulled down the aluminum collar right underneath the shift **** (give it a firm tug)
5. Pulled cotter pin from bottom of shift **** (watch out. it'll fly away on you)
6. Pull up on shift **** to remove it
7. Stuck a #1 flathead screwdriver (carefully) into the seam between the aluminum console (where it meets up with the plastic console that surrounds the seat heater switches) and popped out the bottom of the aluminum console piece
8. opened the "ashtray" (don't know if this was necessary though)
9. Firmly tugged down on the top of that console piece to completely free it.
10. Pulled the console piece over the shift shaft

At this point I pushed (laterally) on the center console from both sides and there was not a single "two Styrofoam cups rubbing together" sound any longer. Yes! No further disassembly required.

At this point I started putting small strips of the soft side of thin Velcro on the sides of the console that touch the console piece I removed. Also, I placed small strips of electrical tape on each side of the 4 slits where the console piece snaps in place.

11. Reassembled everything
12. Pressed on the center console. No more noise!

Hope this helps somebody. Just be careful not to break or scratch anything.
This sounds like what I need to do. A bit late but anyone have any pictures of the placement of velco, electric tape, etc.?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 AM
lkoh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide
This sounds like what I need to do. A bit late but anyone have any pictures of the placement of velco, electric tape, etc.?
In the context of Coupe Daddy's post, here's a picture. You can see that there is a (miniscule) strip of felt around the edges of the removed piece. More in that same location would help.

Name:  centerconsole_zps73f2b395.jpg
Views: 4401
Size:  55.3 KB

looking at point# 10 from Coupe Daddy's post, it looks like he got lucky and his problem did not extend past that stage.

If you find that you still have creaking noises, you might need to dig further.

Remove the plastic piece that holds the seat heater switches. When the shifter thingamajig in the picture is off, pull the seat heater swtch plastic piece towards the front of the car and it'll pop out.

You will then be able to see a plastic "bar" that goes between the 2 sides of the shift console. Tighten the screws on that bar.
My creaking problem stopped there.

You do know that once you fix the center console noise, the door card rattle / road noise / air intake whistle / passenger seat belt rattle / etc is somehow going to become louder right?
krazyfiend (04-13-2014)
Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Walant007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the exact same problem with my 2010 G37x.
Just touching any part of the center console would cause a creak/squeak.
Drove me insane as the 2007 Maxima SE I was upgrading from was solid.
This was supposed to be a premium car and yet it had all these squeaks and creaks.
Tried to lube the entire console with various lubes between all openings, etc.
Finally found the fix for me.
Spray wd40 or any other light lube liberally just behind the ashtray in the crack where the bottom console and the vertical console meet.
Haven't heard a squeak for 2 years.
I hope this helps you.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
The dealer won't fix this issue under warranty?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,652 Likes on 3,479 Posts
My 6MT just started squeaking last week. Things like this are a complete PITA for me, because I'm deaf in one ear, which means there's no way for me to know where the noise is coming from. So today I put the whole family in the car (that's rare). The wife and both kids said the squeak was coming from the middle of the car, meaning the console area.

It's a horrible noise, too. Extremely high-pitched and intermittent.

Going to start with the armrest door hinges. But if bumping this old thread invokes any other responses, I'd be grateful for additional opinions and recent experiences on-topic.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 AM
GoCougs

I had loads of console squeaking and fixed it after a fair amount of diagnosis. My problem was with the shifter plate around the shifter (see pic 4 posts up). My problem was the male/female interlocking connectors that affix the shifter plate to the console. I just sprayed some silicone lube on each of the male connectors and problem 100% solved. I wouldn't use WD-40 or any other petro based lube as it will have residual order.

I have to admit I'm kinda proud with this one. My dealer said "they all do that" and wouldn't fix it. Searching on the Internet didn't provide any answers (but lots of complaints and what seemed like non-fixes such as foam, shims, etc.). Also, since you have a MY2011, the shifter plate will easily lift off by hand if you grab it on the side. I would not recommend using a screwdriver as noted in the post above. Infiniti AL trim will scratch just by looking at it...
Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Alaa Wehbeh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
The dealer won't fix this issue under warranty?
Nop . warranty will not cover any thing !!
Old 04-13-2014, 04:49 PM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Thanks!

I appreciate all the contributions/tips in this thread..thanks to Coupe Daddy and Ikoh especially.

Made for a rewarding Sunday afternoon, relieving myself of the console squeaks. I had plenty of isolation tape (sticky felt) on hand from past 'track down the squeak' projects (s2k, TL-S). Dupont teflon spray, a little bit of dry lubricant (graphite powder) on certain areas and use of electrical tape surrounding the 6 connection inlets that the console snaps into were utilized as well.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Annoying center console trim piece creaking noise