G37 Sedan

2011 G37S 6MT issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:16 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Koa, what specific issues did you have with yours? How was it ultimately resolved?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:30 AM
koa789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Koa, what specific issues did you have with yours? How was it ultimately resolved?

Intermittent popping out of 1st gear.
Car would "shimmy" side to side upon light take off from a stop.
2nd and 3rd gear grinding.
^ That's just the transmission issues, by the way. I had a whole list of other problems with the car.

The dealership replaced the clutch twice and the whole transmission once. They also replaced the rear end and also the rear sub frame assembly for other issues. They never resolved the "shimmy" side to side issue with the car (no other manual G37 I drove did this) and they were never able to fully rectify a host of other issues I had with the car. I resolved it ultimately by getting rid of the vehicle. If I was to buy another one, I'd definitely go the auto route. Even if I had not had the issues that I had with it, just from the experience of driving the herky jerky MT has put me off from Nissan MTs. I have a manual in my GT, and like I said, it's worlds better. I literally felt like I just started driving stick when I had my g37. My G35 before that was also a dream to drive and was very smooth.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:14 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
My 6MT shifts great. Two easy clutch mods, ($5 and one hour of my time). Much more control and fun than the AT G I had for 4 years. The AT was my first in 25 years and will be my last. MT til the day I cant drive.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:14 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
My 6MT shifts great. Two easy clutch mods, ($5 and one hour of my time). Much more control and fun than the AT G I had for 4 years. The AT was my first in 25 years and will be my last. MT til the day I cant drive.
I got an MT right now, but if the auto performed better and provided a smoother ride than the MT choice, I would have gone that route. It's really not that fun shifting your own gears in rush hour. If you do a lot of spirited back road driving or tracking, I can see why MT would be a better choice no matter what.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:37 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Koa, are you an aggressive driver? Do you beat on the car (often)?

I sold my camaro with 80K+ miles on it, with the original clutch. Never had any slippage issues. I drove the car fast and cornered hard (as permissible by the stock suspension). In the 10+ years of ownership, never dumped the clutch, and with the sticky tires I had (can't remember the pirelli model, and the eagle gs d3), breaking them loose was a challenge with just goosing the throttle (clutch fully engaged).

I prefer a manual because it's a more involved driving experience. Sure I've been in rush hour traffic, and it's a hassle at times. If traffic is truly stop and go, I'll do something else to pass the time or find alternate routes. Otherwise, if it's moving slowly, I keep a good following distance and don't have to modulate the clutch as much.

If I had my way, cell phones would not work in cars, cup holders would not exist, and every one would drive a manual
Old 10-09-2011, 11:54 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Koa, are you an aggressive driver? Do you beat on the car (often)?

I sold my camaro with 80K+ miles on it, with the original clutch. Never had any slippage issues. I drove the car fast and cornered hard (as permissible by the stock suspension). In the 10+ years of ownership, never dumped the clutch, and with the sticky tires I had (can't remember the pirelli model, and the eagle gs d3), breaking them loose was a challenge with just goosing the throttle (clutch fully engaged).

I prefer a manual because it's a more involved driving experience. Sure I've been in rush hour traffic, and it's a hassle at times. If traffic is truly stop and go, I'll do something else to pass the time or find alternate routes. Otherwise, if it's moving slowly, I keep a good following distance and don't have to modulate the clutch as much.

If I had my way, cell phones would not work in cars, cup holders would not exist, and every one would drive a manual
Not an aggressive driver in the least. I never tracked or raced the car, never did burn outs, never goosed it around corners. I went WOT maybe a dozen times when I was on my way between Phoenix and Vegas, or Phoenix and San Diego, but never from a stop. I just liked driving a lot and I drove a lot of long distances, one of them being a round trip from Phx to Monterey for the ALMS race at Laguna Seca. Car literally saw about 70% highway use. Funny you mention the Camaro, I too had one, and I put 96k miles on it with the stock clutch. I sold it with the stock clutch still intact and working flawlessly. This is honestly the only car I've owned I've had so many issues with. I haven't heard of too many G37 owners having any of the issues, so I would definitely say my car was way out of the norm.