G37 Sedan

Selling M3 for G37 Possibly

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Cecilt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling M3 for G37 Possibly

I am considering selling my e46 M3 6 speed for a G37S with 6 speed. Main reasons is to get 4 doors, better DD, hard top since mine is a convertible and I don't ride with the top down much, and more HP/torque at lower RPM's. I have never driven a G37 but have some friends who have the 2007 G35(one is auto the other has a 6 speed). I am interested in the 2010 or 2011 G.

My last statement about more HP/Torque in the G may not be reality but what I know is my car loves to rev between 4k rpm and 7800 rpm. It gets going about 2100 rpm though but looking for a car that doesn't need to wind up as much to get really moving.

I don't live in a big town and there are no 6 speed g35 or g37's around to even drive. I could drive a new auto but I know I don't want an auto. My main question is how is it to drive the G 6 speed. I had an 06 Acura TL 6 speed but I hated the clutch in it. I could never get used to the 1-2 shift in the Acura and really just chalked it up to Japenese engineering. I love the 6 speed in the M3 though. Smooth as silk and I never stall the 1-2 shift. So, an comments on the 6 speed and particulary the 1-2. It seemed that finding the right clutch point was very hard and if you missed it you either jerked the car or stalled and that is no fun. tks
Old 10-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Soliditude

From what I've heard, the clutch and the gear changes are really good in the G37. As compared to a 335i's manual tranny, the reviews said that the G was on par. Neither have I ever read complaints about the G's manual, so I'm fairly certain it's nothing to worry about; you won't stall for sure.

As in the M3 vs. G37 comparison, there is a member here that recently went from an E46 M3 to a 2010 G37, and he said that he is very satisfied. The thing is, the G37 also loves the revs. It's not very torquey down low. If you're looking for a torque monster in the low RPMs, consider the 335i. It has more torque in its stock setup than the E92 M3 with its V8, so that's where the money is on torque.

Nonetheless, you won't be disappointed with a manual G... Ever.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I was going to say what ^he said. The G loves the revs, too.

I think if you want low end torque the new 5.0 GT would certainly provide it, but it's a different class of car.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:42 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i'm not trying to deter you from buying the 37; it's a great car. however, if you're looking for low end torque -- have you considered the B9 S4? power wise, even fully bolted on, our 37's are quick, but not THAT quick. against an e46 m3 (w/ bolt ons) "auto" -- it puts a couple car lengths ~2 cars + continues to pull (tuned + bolted on). recently having driven the new B9 S4...............................uhm, well...lets just say it has more torque below 3k than my entire tq curve, anywhere.

good luck, and welcome to the boards
Old 10-04-2011, 03:58 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I personally would stay away from Audi, but that's me.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:59 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
he knows the reliability on the G37 is better than the S4's are.

welcome.. I enjoy my 6mt sedan.... best bang for the buck out there.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:15 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
...best bang for the buck out there.
And therein lies the reason I am on Infiniti G sedan #2. Comparatively speaking, you can't even come close to it in the same class / price range.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:12 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
I personally would stay away from Audi, but that's me.
Originally Posted by da mayor
he knows the reliability on the G37 is better than the S4's are.

welcome.. I enjoy my 6mt sedan.... best bang for the buck out there.
Audi isn't really THAT bad. Compare to Infiniti, sure, it will have a few more problems. Does it cost that much more in repairs? Not really. Last time I checked, maintenance and repairs on an Infiniti is not that cheap. Have you guys owned an Audi for a long period of time? I love both. But if you drive both, you will notice that the overall driving experience of the Infiniti is not on the same level as an Audi (with quattro and especially a S car). Handling, steering response, smoothness, tranny (auto, manual, or DSG), overall solid and precise feeling of the car is better than Infiniti. And yes, if you want low end torque and power, Audi got that too (or any forced induction car). You won't find that here with Infiniti no matter what you bolt on it.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:17 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
In reality a 335i (4 door) will do you better than the G sedan in terms of power/fun. And FREE maintenance, so we can throw costs of repair/service out because that bests Audi& Infiniti. Just my opinion I would not buy a G sedan from an M3 personally, look into the M series sedan if you're sold on Infiniti, much better car.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
RhiNoKiLL

Can vouch for the S4, they have tons of low end torque. Handling, fit and finish, smoothness, everythingness its levels ahead of any G sedan or coupe.

What about C63? Huge discounts on them right now, but no manual.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:18 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Cecilt
... My main question is how is it to drive the G 6 speed. I had an 06 Acura TL 6 speed but I hated the clutch in it. I could never get used to the 1-2 shift in the Acura and really just chalked it up to Japenese engineering. I love the 6 speed in the M3 though. Smooth as silk and I never stall the 1-2 shift. So, an comments on the 6 speed and particulary the 1-2. It seemed that finding the right clutch point was very hard and if you missed it you either jerked the car or stalled and that is no fun. tks
You nailed it. The G sedan clutch engagement point is way out of whack from the factory. It's nowhere near as smooth as the BMW.

HOWEVER

There are 2 very inexpensive mods that greatly improve the feel and location of the engagement/release points.
After you do these, shifting (1-2) can be done smoothly and the rest is easy.
DIY: Clutch Fix#1 - pedal travel - Page 2 - G35Driver
DIY: Clutch Fix #2 - Oh what a feeling - G35Driver
Old 10-04-2011, 08:03 PM
firstinfiniti

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are looking for bang for the buck, the G is very, very hard to beat.
From fun to drive point of view, its second only to the bimmer. But having driven an e46 M3, I wouldnt even trade it in for an e90, let alone any other brand.
I hate having to be practical....the only reason I switched to the G.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Mr.Lewis

Where are you located man? i have a 2011 6spd sedan, its one of the best cars that I've owned. if your local to me i wouldn't mind meeting up and you could drive it if you'd like, i don't mind

Originally Posted by Cecilt
I am considering selling my e46 M3 6 speed for a G37S with 6 speed. Main reasons is to get 4 doors, better DD, hard top since mine is a convertible and I don't ride with the top down much, and more HP/torque at lower RPM's. I have never driven a G37 but have some friends who have the 2007 G35(one is auto the other has a 6 speed). I am interested in the 2010 or 2011 G.

My last statement about more HP/Torque in the G may not be reality but what I know is my car loves to rev between 4k rpm and 7800 rpm. It gets going about 2100 rpm though but looking for a car that doesn't need to wind up as much to get really moving.

I don't live in a big town and there are no 6 speed g35 or g37's around to even drive. I could drive a new auto but I know I don't want an auto. My main question is how is it to drive the G 6 speed. I had an 06 Acura TL 6 speed but I hated the clutch in it. I could never get used to the 1-2 shift in the Acura and really just chalked it up to Japenese engineering. I love the 6 speed in the M3 though. Smooth as silk and I never stall the 1-2 shift. So, an comments on the 6 speed and particulary the 1-2. It seemed that finding the right clutch point was very hard and if you missed it you either jerked the car or stalled and that is no fun. tks
Old 10-04-2011, 08:54 PM
davelim

I have a 2011 g37 sedan 6mt. I drove 5,000 miles on it and here's my take:
It took a while to get used to the shifting, esp. 1-2. The clutch goes pretty deep however, you don't have to step it all the way. Take the clutch down about 50% through and you can shift it.
It doesn't have the low end torque, you have to rev it up to 3-4 rpm to get any real power to the wheels. You are coming from an M3, I believe that those are much more smoother than the g37, not sure because i only drove the 335i. The G37 6 mt has a rough sound and feel to the engine. However, you should test drive the vehicle yourself. I cannot not recommend the car because it has gobs of power. My main concern with the 6mt is that the sport seats are very narrow -with the widest setting and it digs into your thighs. I really don't like that feeling. I am not large either - 6 ft, 160lbs.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
I had a g35 coupe 6 speed and currently a G37S 6-speed and I can tell you that the manual transmission has gotten smoother from the previous generation. The G37S has a smooth clutch, as stated the car loves low revs so shifting is never an issue. Over all you will feel a major difference coming from an M3 to a G in terms of smoothness and ease of driving, gear changing is like butter. I drove my friends E92 M3 6-speed and it was brutal with all the long throws and long heavy duty clutch but obviously with that caliber car, it needs that.

it must be noted that these types of car's will have that "clunkiness" noise to it, and it also should be said that the G is notorious for it's clutch chatter.

Quick Reply: Selling M3 for G37 Possibly