G37 Sedan

Selling M3 for G37 Possibly

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 PM
platinumg35x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO you'll be extremely disappointed going from an M3 to a G sedan. I went from a 330 (6 spd with sport suspension) to a G sedan and was disappointed in term of driving refinement. Yes, the G was quicker and put me back in my seat more, but the 3 was better in terms of handling even after I put suspension mods on my G (coilovers, frame braces, etc). You can make the G handle as well, and even better than the bimmer, but at that point, you're ride will be quite rough. The bimmer on the other hand has a superb balance of ride quality and handling from factory that doesn't need to be tampered with (and can't be beat), imo, unless you autocross or track.

I've also driven a 350z (08) in 6spd (so I'm guessing the clutch on the g37 would be similar, if not the same), and the bimmer clutch just gives you a better driving experience...it's butter smooth. The bimmers tend to do have very long shift-throws but that's nothing a ssk can't solve.

But as others have stated, the G is the best bang for your buck. If you were going from any other car, I'd say go for the G. For the price, it can't be beat. But since you're going from an M and want a more practical daily driver, the 335i is your best bet. Just my 0.02.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You won't be disappointed with G 's performance.
I just got my moonwhite 11 Sedan and I'm in love with it. The low end torque is sufficient for me for daily drive to work, never brought to track yet hehe
Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 PM
HRDROKN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35

There are 2 very inexpensive mods that greatly improve the feel and location of the engagement/release points.
After you do these, shifting (1-2) can be done smoothly and the rest is easy.
DIY: Clutch Fix#1 - pedal travel - Page 2 - G35Driver
DIY: Clutch Fix #2 - Oh what a feeling - G35Driver
Thanks for posting those links! Can't wait to do this.... I hate the clutch engagement as it is!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by platinumg35x
IMO you'll be extremely disappointed going from an M3 to a G sedan. I went from a 330 (6 spd with sport suspension) to a G sedan and was disappointed in term of driving refinement. Yes, the G was quicker and put me back in my seat more, but the 3 was better in terms of handling even after I put suspension mods on my G (coilovers, frame braces, etc). You can make the G handle as well, and even better than the bimmer, but at that point, you're ride will be quite rough. The bimmer on the other hand has a superb balance of ride quality and handling from factory that doesn't need to be tampered with (and can't be beat), imo, unless you autocross or track.
exactly. i just don't get that refined feeling of the overall handling of the G compared to any Audi (or BMW). Yes, the G has more power than the Audi A3, A4, A5, and A6 even. But the low end torque makes up for it.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The G gives you great bang for the buck, but the clutch takes some getting use to.

I don't know how many here lease/purchase, but if I was going to buy something to keep for a while, it'd get a G. If you're leasing and plan to switch to something else in a few years, by all means keep your options open.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:23 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by platinumg35x
IMO you'll be extremely disappointed going from an M3 to a G sedan. I went from a 330 (6 spd with sport suspension) to a G sedan and was disappointed in term of driving refinement. Yes, the G was quicker and put me back in my seat more, but the 3 was better in terms of handling even after I put suspension mods on my G (coilovers, frame braces, etc). You can make the G handle as well, and even better than the bimmer, but at that point, you're ride will be quite rough.
I'll have to respectfully disagree. I have done 2 mods to my car in terms of handling - 20x9 inch wheels (255/35/20) and KW variant 3 coilovers.

I drove Ortega Hwy (very curvy road) behind a 530i sedan and I could corner way faster and tighter than he could.

My ride is a little stiffer than it was with the stock sport suspension and 18 inch wheels, but not by that much.

I have to admit, I've never owned a bmw and I don't care to. The G is 99% the car a bmw is, at 75% the price. If I were to hit the lotto, I still wouldn't buy one. Prolly go with an Audi or a Mercedes.

YMMV.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:41 AM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
The G gives you great bang for the buck, but the clutch takes some getting use to.

I don't know how many here lease/purchase, but if I was going to buy something to keep for a while, it'd get a G. If you're leasing and plan to switch to something else in a few years, by all means keep your options open.
True. I used to thought about leasing a Bimmer but end up with buying my G. The G37 is a car that's reliable and you can count on. Just like a soldier's M16, it's solid.

Bimmer is like ak47 whereas contrast to reliability.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Crespo
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I drive a Infiniti, and I love my infiniti, but I got to warn you that you will regret every bit going from a M3 to a japanese made infiniti, you will find the interior are made from some really low quality material compare to your M3, and the seats in the infiniti will worn out like crazy after a year or two if you use the G daily.

The G does look great and the car can catch up or even stay the same with the last gen M3 in the power department. However, if you are looking for that driving feeling that a bmw can give you, the G won't deliever that ultimate driving machine feel through the steering wheel.

I have both the new 335 and G at home, and I do get a lot more feel driving the 335 than the G.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Crespo
Registered Member

I do agree with what sniper27 and RhiNoKiLL said, try an audi S4...I am planning to trade in my G for a S4 at the end of the year after owning the 1st gen and 2nd gen G sedan for close to 7 years in total.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Cecilt

Thanks to everyone for your honest feedback and advice. It is nice to know that even though you may own a G that you gave my question some consideration and some even stated don't do it. I am tending to agree with that. I never had that "great" feeling when I owned the '06 Acura TL 6 speed or the '07 Acura TL-S auto. Both left me comfortable but never in lust to drive.

I think if I change from the e46 m3 it will be to a 2009-2011 335i with sport. If the manual in it compares to my M3 manual in terms of shifting enjoyment I may just like the more refined ride and low end power the 335 provides. Thanks to all that posted. The G is a great looking car but I think I would make a compromise based on my past experience of owning a 323, 330 and m3 to move back to a Japanese car again.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love this board because G owners don't swear their lives on the cars they own.

Unlike other Acura/BMW forums I've been, most of them really defend their cars/brands to death.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:33 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Just remember that every other car mentioned throughout this board is much more expensive then the G. I have also yet to lose to a 335i or an S4 (prob chalked up to driving competence) I will agree the audi has a better interior but the comment on the bmw having a better one I am sorry but will disagree, the interior on the bmw is boring, flat faced and unless you through in a couple extra grand, you do not get Leather, paying 50k+ for a luxo car without leather just does not seem right to me. Ive driven a new M3, an S5 and I will say they definitely handle well, but with my coils, frame bracing, sways, struts and bigger tires mine will still out handle one. As da mayor and others have said, what you get for the money with the G is really hard to beat.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by Cecilt
Thanks to everyone for your honest feedback and advice. It is nice to know that even though you may own a G that you gave my question some consideration and some even stated don't do it. I am tending to agree with that. I never had that "great" feeling when I owned the '06 Acura TL 6 speed or the '07 Acura TL-S auto. Both left me comfortable but never in lust to drive.

I think if I change from the e46 m3 it will be to a 2009-2011 335i with sport. If the manual in it compares to my M3 manual in terms of shifting enjoyment I may just like the more refined ride and low end power the 335 provides. Thanks to all that posted. The G is a great looking car but I think I would make a compromise based on my past experience of owning a 323, 330 and m3 to move back to a Japanese car again.

Indeed, man. That's exactly what I was sayin'. You will be more satisfied with the 335i's low-end toque of 300 ft. lbs. just over 1k RPM. I drove it and I was overwhelmed. It'll blow your M3 away. Even so, for its little size/weight, it pulled twice as hard uphill as a Camaro SS down a straight road. I think it suits exactly what you're looking for. But if you're willing to spend a bit more dough, go and see what the 335iS offers! Its tuned ECU pulls off 330HP and 320trq.

However, in terms of looks and interior, don't forget the S5. That is the one car I would have over any 335i, because the BM interior are getting a bit old now, unfortunately.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
Just remember that every other car mentioned throughout this board is much more expensive then the G. I have also yet to lose to a 335i or an S4 (prob chalked up to driving competence) I will agree the audi has a better interior but the comment on the bmw having a better one I am sorry but will disagree, the interior on the bmw is boring, flat faced and unless you through in a couple extra grand, you do not get Leather, paying 50k+ for a luxo car without leather just does not seem right to me. Ive driven a new M3, an S5 and I will say they definitely handle well, but with my coils, frame bracing, sways, struts and bigger tires mine will still out handle one. As da mayor and others have said, what you get for the money with the G is really hard to beat.
i agree, for the money you'll spend on a bimmer it's not worth it , com on, for a 40K + car without leather, also dont forget the reliability issue with BMWs..
Old 10-05-2011, 01:26 PM
ChiDave

Just saw this thread and had to add my 2 cents. I sold my 2002 e46 M3 for a new 2009 G37xS, auto. It was my Calif car and then I got transferred to Chicago. The G37 is a much better all around car for chicago, but it lacks the excitement the M3 had. Even though the HP and Torque ratings on paper are similar, the M3 was much more refined and edgey especially at the high rpms. I miss the M3, but the maintenance bills were just too much to take for a 6 month/year driven car.
Stay away from the auto. That's what I have, and regret it except in traffic and snow. Even with paddles, it doesn't select the gear with teh same satisfaction nor respond to throttle input as quickly as in the M3.
After the kids graduate college and I have more disposable income, I can justify a half year car like the M3. Both are good choices, but they are definitely different cars.

Quick Reply: Selling M3 for G37 Possibly