G37 Sedan

Dealer says symptoms are giving them the run around :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Dealer says symptoms are giving them the run around :(

Cars been at the dealership for 2 days now. My service adviser had one of their technicians take my car home (ugh); met him today -- very cool, and down to earth gentleman. Despite, they called me because they couldn't reproduce the issue. I went in and got the issue to reoccur.

Here's the thing: they don't seem to be convinced the issue is being caused by a bad slave. The clutch pedal essentially goes dead, minus half an inch from the floor; there's absolutely no pressure else where. The pedal HAS at one point gone to the floor and not come up. Evidently because I was able to pull the clutch back up off the ground with my foot, and thereby bringing pressure back, is indicative of the slave still being okay. The tech mentioned something about a possible clutch adjustment being the issue (wtf - something about having to actually count threads). Also another possibility - air in the lines? But there was no leak as he said. They're taking apart the pedal assembly as we speak. Any thoughts? The master slave cylinder has already been replaced (didn't fix the problem). The pedal issue occurs with 30+ minute freeway driving in 6th and after spirited driving. Goes away after pumping the pedal a few times (typically once we hit normal city driving). I wonder how detrimental this is to the rest of the transmission/clutch assembly line...? Thanks in advance guys!

UPDATE: 9/29/11

Car was okay for a bit. Issue's reoccuring after their bleed. Infiniti Corp is taking over...ugh

Last edited by eksigned; 09-29-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, I'd raise all kinds of hell that someone took your vehicle to their residence. That's completely inappropriate. Driving it down the freeway to reproduce the problem is fine, but not taking it home.

If you have a new master and slave, then your fluid is obviously new too. An air bubble is possible despite no leaks. It could be trapped somewhere and just rears it's ugly head at inconvient times. A pressurized flush would remove an air bubble like that, but if you had the problem before the master and slave were changed, it's highly unlikely to be that. Not like an air bubble would persist through a master and slave replacement.

Hmmm, I don't know
Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 PM
eksigned

lol thanks for your input itchy
i suppose i misquoted myself - i reluctantly gave them permission for one of the techs to drive it home; garaged in a nice neighborhood, or at least...that's what they told me -__-

the master slave was replaced ONCE, and the problem persisted. the slave on the other hand, has yet to me replaced...will find out tomorrow - they've been on it all day now
Old 09-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Rickblkg

Call infiniti corp to have one of their guys to come down and check it out of themselves
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM
maxximase
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
To the OP -- I just had this exact same problem fixed in my 09S sedan with 31k last week. My symptoms were exactly as you described:
The clutch pedal essentially goes dead, minus half an inch from the floor; there's absolutely no pressure else where. The pedal HAS at one point gone to the floor and not come up. Evidently because I was able to pull the clutch back up off the ground with my foot, and thereby bringing pressure back, is indicative of the slave still being okay. The tech mentioned something about a possible clutch adjustment being the issue (wtf - something about having to actually count threads). Also another possibility - air in the lines? But there was no leak as he said. They're taking apart the pedal assembly as we speak. Any thoughts? The master slave cylinder has already been replaced (didn't fix the problem). The pedal issue occurs with 30+ minute freeway driving in 6th and after spirited driving. Goes away after pumping the pedal a few times
My dealer was initially unable to replicate the problem as well -- told me they wanted to charge me to adjust the pedal travel and flush the clutch fluid. I told them that, based upon reading about this problem online, that it was likely the slave cylinder and I wanted it replaced. I explained the exact routine that caused the problem (and that it typically required a ~30 minute drive before it happened). They said they would call the Infiniti tech line and see if they could get approval to replace the slave cylinder. Much to my surprise, they got approval to replace the slave cylinder, adjust the pedal and flush the fluid -- all under warranty (glad I didn't agree to pay for that before).

I picked up the car a day later and drove down the freeway to get home -- the pedal started doing it again. I suspected that they may not have bled all the air out of the system, so we agreed that they would re-bleed and then have the tech take the car for a long drive to see if that solved the problem. If not, they would replace the clutch master cylinder.

They called the next day and said the tech felt there was air in the system and that the re-bleeding was successful. They took the car on a long test drive and the problem did not return.

That was last Saturday. I have been driving the car since with no problems and am satisfied that the problem is indeed fixed.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:37 PM
eksigned

^ thank you very much for the heads up! will pass the information along to my dealer.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
FWIW the clutch pedal losing pressure and sinking to the floor is a common issue with 6mt Altima SERs.

The consensus is that with this car, Nissan's OE hydraulic fluid (DOT3) is the culprit, and the remedy is replacing it with DOT4 or 5.1.

Maybe this issue is applicatable to the G as well? Just a though, sorry if I'm really off here.

Ref:
Yay, the sinking clutch pedal finally happens to me - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

Flushing out clutch hydraulic system - DOT 4 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

clutch is sinking - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
Old 09-28-2011, 09:54 PM
mp2000run

Originally Posted by eksigned
Cars been at the dealership for 2 days now. My service adviser had one of their technicians take my car home (ugh); met him today -- very cool, and down to earth gentleman. Despite, they called me because they couldn't reproduce the issue. I went in and got the issue to reoccur.

Here's the thing: they don't seem to be convinced the issue is being caused by a bad slave. The clutch pedal essentially goes dead, minus half an inch from the floor; there's absolutely no pressure else where. The pedal HAS at one point gone to the floor and not come up. Evidently because I was able to pull the clutch back up off the ground with my foot, and thereby bringing pressure back, is indicative of the slave still being okay. The tech mentioned something about a possible clutch adjustment being the issue (wtf - something about having to actually count threads). Also another possibility - air in the lines? But there was no leak as he said. They're taking apart the pedal assembly as we speak. Any thoughts? The master slave cylinder has already been replaced (didn't fix the problem). The pedal issue occurs with 30+ minute freeway driving in 6th and after spirited driving. Goes away after pumping the pedal a few times (typically once we hit normal city driving). I wonder how detrimental this is to the rest of the transmission/clutch assembly line...? Thanks in advance guys!

Man I had major manual transmission problems. It ended up being my syncros in my transmission. Took forever for Infiniti to admit that was the problem. Finally fixed. My advice, Don't Give UP! Don't let them give you your car back until it's fixed.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:31 AM
eksigned

thanks for the heads up! i have the car back now they had to bleed everything. seems to be find. it went slightly soft, ONCE. we'll see how things turn out...
Old 09-29-2011, 12:54 AM
kazu-kun

Yes, I had that same problem a few weeks ago, it was a good thing (sort of) when I had it took it to the dealership that the car can barely moved when I was with the tech (I had to call a flat bed to get it down there). The dealership pretty much replace the slave (the part that was broken) as well as my clutch and flywheel. Thank goodness for my factory warranty.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:10 PM
eksigned

LOL and the problem still persists. Infinit Corp is taking over though ...we'll see what happens. so freaking irritated.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
BlueOnyxG

I had an Altima SE-R 6MT and have had this problem also. Mine happened rarely, and when it did happen it was right after i had gone through a touchless car wash. Not sure if the underpressure had anything to do with it. I also had the issue maybe 2 or 3 times after. I ended up selling the car before i could figure out what was going on.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
OP, any luck getting this repaired?