Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 PM
simonsez

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^ i'm leaning towards Tanabe now....
Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by hollywhip
I've had my Tanabe's for well over a year now and if anything they have gotten louder then when first purchased. No where near the irratating "Fart Can" volume but just a deep throaty growl which increases in volume with Rpm's Most people pass on the Tanabe's because of $$ but the old addage applies here you get what you pay for
do you experience just a SLIGHT loss of power at the low end? not by much, but car feels heavier at the start. the dyno sheet on Tanabe's site does show a slight lower tq and hp compared to stock on the low end.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:57 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I have the Fast Intentions system for my xS. Best aftermarket exhaust I've ever owned. Period.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:25 AM
hollywhip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you experience just a SLIGHT loss of power at the low end? not by much, but car feels heavier at the start. the dyno sheet on Tanabe's site does show a slight lower tq and hp compared to stock on the low end.
I didn't buy them for any performance gains anyway mostly for the looks and sound and I don't spend much time on the low-end so if this was true I wouldn't notice anyway.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:27 AM
sniper27

I didn't buy them for any performance gains anyway mostly for the looks and sound and I don't spend much time on the low-end so if this was true I wouldn't notice anyway.
i agree...but you can't avoid the low end everytime you take off. it's that first couple seconds that annoys me. i wasn't looking for performance gains also, but definitely not looking for any loss either.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Austin713

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 1cleanG
I vote Tanabe between the two, and only if you get the Y & mid pipe, otherwise its pointless...but would Fast Intentions would be my #1 choice over both of these, FULL dual catback, and easily the best sounding.

THIS X1000

The ark is going to be pretty loud, and i think you will find the tannabe a bit too quiet.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
tanabe for me, cuz i want a quiet one, ark i heard is kinda loud
Old 09-28-2011, 03:48 PM
hollywhip

If you plan on doing a bunch of spirited driving go with the TB's I want to be stealthy when driving hard don't want to give Johnnie law an earful and stand out in a crowd of vehicles. TB's sound good but not loud enough to arouse Johnny
Old 09-28-2011, 04:04 PM
simonsez

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
DJ Farhan,
Where was the cheapest place to get Tanabe for the sedan?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

^ i dont know yet, but i have it being discussed a few times around here, check this thread too:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...ml#post3243268
Old 09-28-2011, 04:35 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by aspec2006
DJ Farhan,
Where was the cheapest place to get Tanabe for the sedan?
$590 shipped from Amazon right now. Or check the vendors here. I think JEBperformance has pretty good pricing. Maybe even Amplified. But $590 shipped with no tax is pretty good.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

if u want:

Strictly G's!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:53 PM
mikelebron

I appreciate your input on this as I have been asking and asking for something similar (even have a dedicated thread with no real responses) experience. Believe me I would be in the Tanabe camp IF the upgrade and $$ sounded better than stock... I am NOT looking for loud and ricey... I AM looking for same as stock sound except deeper and moderately louder... in other words I want someone to know I have aftermarket exhaust without waking up my neighbors. Would you agree with this statement? Would you say its a definite upgrade over stock? Also want to confirm your running a Sedan.

Thanks for the input...

PS - since your install is fairly old... Can you make a sound clip of your setup?
I've had my Tanabe's for well over a year now and if anything they have gotten louder then when first purchased. No where near the irratating "Fart Can" volume but just a deep throaty growl which increases in volume with Rpm's Most people pass on the Tanabe's because of $$ but the old addage applies here you get what you pay for

Last edited by mikelebron; 09-28-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:58 PM
mikelebron

You can fix this right up with an SRI/CAI intake and a tune... any reduction in back pressure with out opening up the intake could reduce the lower RPM performance #s... In other words your starving your intake... You probably could get away with some high flow drop ins to get you back to stock numbers...low cost to try out to see if it helps... Fundementally though it doesnt make much sens that the mufflers make that much of a difference as they real constraint is the CAT and the piping design.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 PM
sniper27

Originally Posted by mikelebron
You can fix this right up with an SRI/CAI intake and a tune... any reduction in back pressure with out opening up the intake could reduce the lower RPM performance #s... In other words your starving your intake... You probably could get away with some high flow drop ins to get you back to stock numbers...low cost to try out to see if it helps... Fundementally though it doesnt make much sens that the mufflers make that much of a difference as they real constraint is the CAT and the piping design.
that's what i would think too...but i can feel just a slight decrease in tq on the low end...right off the line. I already had K&N drop in's. I'll see if this gets better over some time. Maybe a SRI or CAI will be next.

Quick Reply: Ark or Tanabe