G37 Sedan

G37 vs TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:57 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You won't go wrong with either but the G is my personal preference.

I just can't take the TL's exterior into my garage. Refreshed or not, it still doesn't grow on me lol.

My next lease is going to be the new G, 3 series, or the A4.
Love the sexy A4.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Jayhawk815

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ak47
i see no changes in the new tl for the 2010/2011 style. the 2012s looks the same to. i sell infinitis and my buddy has a acura and he regets having it. its long bulky handles like crap. its all personal preffrence. I still beleave there the entry level luxury brand.
Thanks for the mostly useless post. The OP, I, and many other see a significant difference between the 2011 and 2012 models. Your poor spelling and grammar also do little to add credibility to your post as well.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 AM
wzupdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of Honda/Acura but their current designers are on the wrong track. Not to digress but have you guys seen the new Odyssey? It's hideous. I understand that Acura has a different pool of designers than Honda but they are clearly on a common path of trying to make their cars look new and trendy.

I agree that the new TL looks better than it did. That "crease" they used to have down the side was awful. But the TL just isn't there yet. The nose is ugly and now it looks more like a Camry. That "hump" over the front tire just completely ruins the look. No offense to the guys that like the Acura - I honestly like the Acura name and I want them to design a cool car but in my not so humble opinion it's still ugly.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Maybe this blog will help AK47 notice the changes in the 2012 TL
First Drive: 2012 Acura TL
Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Jayhawk815

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Maybe this blog will help AK47 notice the changes in the 2012 TL
First Drive: 2012 Acura TL
Maybe, but side by side would probably help more. I read an article/blog before that did just that, but can't seem to find it now.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:44 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jayhawk815
Maybe, but side by side would probably help more. I read an article/blog before that did just that, but can't seem to find it now.
here are good front and rear end pics

2012 on left

2012 on right

Considering most everyone's largest complaint (aesthetically) was the oversized front grill, this should help sales. It seems that some car manufacturers actually listen.
Source
Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 PM
sarge_in

Nice to see support for the TL in a G37 forum!

Looks are fairly personal. As I mentioned before, if this was 2011, I would most probably have gone the G37 way. The 2012 has grown a lot on me - really like the rear actually. I also kinda like the idea of having a car that is not common and is quite different from all the Infiniti, BMW and MB floating around. To each his own, of course!

Originally Posted by Jayhawk815
Sarge, the list price difference between the FWD TL and the SH-AWD TL is $3,500. From what you have seen, are they selling at that margin as well?
It has varied by dealer really. One was $3250, the other was $4000! But these are all prices well below Invoice, so the logic is which one are they willing to discount more. The G37, in comparison, was selling quite close to Invoice.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sarge_in
Nice to see support for the TL in a G37 forum!
For the most part we are automobile enthusiasts who currently prefer the G as opposed to just being G enthusiasts who may like cars. (does that make sense).
Haters usually have personal issues that extend well beyond what they are driving.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:00 PM
sarge_in

here are good front and rear end pics

Considering most everyone's largest complaint (aesthetically) was the oversized front grill, this should help sales. It seems that some car manufacturers actually listen.
Source
Awesome comparison shots - thanks! Yep, the front grill looks much better with its top aligning with the top of the headlights, as well as the narrower frame all around. Can't imagine why they didn't see it in first release!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:03 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sarge_in
Awesome comparison shots - thanks! Yep, the front grill looks much better with its top aligning with the top of the headlights, as well as the narrower frame all around. Can't imagine why they didn't see it in first release!
Oh...they saw it.
Have you ever worked with a designer? Stubborn bunch of S.O.B's
Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 PM
TissueGuy

I was in the same position as you. I commute just under 70 miles roundtrip each day. I had a 2007 v-6 accord. The perfect commuter car and I really cant say anything bad about it, except the fun to drive factor was zero. A great car that would last for years, but given how much time I spend in a car, I decided I wanted a little fun in my drive.

We have one child, so a 4 door was a must. When I bought the 07 accord, I also looked at the TL and couldnt justify the additional expense for what felt like the same car.

When I bought the 2010 G37x (I got prem and nav), I actually had my heart set on the new TL and was going to pull the trigger. I looked at the lexus ES some pre-owned BMW 7s and a few others (I know not apples to apples). I was close to getting the new TL, the ride was a little sportier and didnt feel as "accord" like as the past TLs.

I only drove the G to make sure I was making the right decision with the TL. I took the new G and new M out and then took each for a day. My wife has a Nissan, so I have been happy with the brand. The G has the fun factor, its a little cramped for space, but most of the time its just me or maybe my son in his car seat. I made the decision to go with the G based on the fun factor, it made the TL seem kind of bland. With the G you get a great exhaust note, the RWD and I have a blast everytime I get in and start it up. I think some of that is missing in the TL. I am a bigger guy, so I am not sure I would be comfortable taking the G on a 8 hour drive, if you plan on taking a lot of road trips with the family then go with the TL, but if you have another care (your wifes) for those types of trips then you would be happy with the G. I did go back and forth about getting the sport package. I skipped the sport package because of the rigid seats and my size and how much time is spent in the car. In hindsite I do with I would have upgraded the wheels to the 18s.

I know my preference isnt based on performance or specs, but the G felt like the perfect car for me. Honestly, I think they are both great cars and you would be happy with either one. For me, the G felt like the right car. I felt like I was getting a true sport sedan and getting a lot of car for the money. In terms of service, I have stayed away from the dealer, I follow the service guide and use my local mechanic and it has not been any more expensive than my accord.

Good Luck
Old 09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
One could also look at the maxima that could top the scales at $40. The dealerships may not serve you tea and crumpets, but the Maxima is very upscale and FWD like the Acura.

Meh, for $40 grand, I'd rather have the TL than the Maxima if that was my leaning.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by g37guy01
One could also look at the maxima that could top the scales at $40. The dealerships may not serve you tea and crumpets, but the Maxima is very upscale and FWD like the Acura.

Meh, for $40 grand, I'd rather have the TL than the Maxima if that was my leaning.
I have had a 2011 Maxima loaner from the dealer and driven my friends 2010 Maxima (with sport pkg options) and it handles like a sailboat without a keel. Don't get me started on the CVT thing...sports sedan I think not.
It looks ok though.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 PM
sarge_in

For the most part we are automobile enthusiasts who currently prefer the G as opposed to just being G enthusiasts who may like cars. (does that make sense).
Haters usually have personal issues that extend well beyond what they are driving.
Absolutely, and this is just how it should be!

Originally Posted by TissueGuy
When I bought the 2010 G37x (I got prem and nav), I actually had my heart set on the new TL and was going to pull the trigger. I looked at the lexus ES some pre-owned BMW 7s and a few others (I know not apples to apples). I was close to getting the new TL, the ride was a little sportier and didnt feel as "accord" like as the past TLs.

I know my preference isnt based on performance or specs, but the G felt like the perfect car for me. Honestly, I think they are both great cars and you would be happy with either one. For me, the G felt like the right car. I felt like I was getting a true sport sedan and getting a lot of car for the money. In terms of service, I have stayed away from the dealer, I follow the service guide and use my local mechanic and it has not been any more expensive than my accord.

Good Luck
Quite similar thought process, I must say. I have also looked at used BMW 7 series for same price as what I will end up with for a new TL or G37. Given the much wider appeal of saying "I drive a BMW 7 series" (and leave out the 'used' part, of course ) than TL or G37, it has its attraction. If it were not for the infamous maint costs, it may still have been a strong contender.

Another part of it has been my experience with Nissan over last 12 years. At that time, we liked the medium-sized Altima so much more than Civic/Corolla/Accord/Camry that we bought 2 of them for us (both 1998 used cars bought in 2000 with <30K miles). While we enjoyed the cars thoroughly over the last several years, both of them started seeing $700-$800 worth of expenses almost every year or so, and this was with less than 100K miles on both. Ended up selling up one of them for an Odyssey for space, and now the second one got totalled. The not-so-stellar experience with both Altimas probably also played their part in trying something else this time. I know we are talking about different breeds and different decades, but still..

And you are right, its about that connection you feel with a car and sometimes that means more than any specs or features the head can come up with. I felt it with the TL (just like you did with the G), though I wonder if it was because I drove it right after I did the ES350, so the difference was glaring.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Jayhawk815

Source
Well, to be fair, it was people's complaints coupled with slumping sales. Oh, and thanks for the side by side pics! The only thing missing are side shots, which also show the shortened bumper.

Quick Reply: G37 vs TL