G37 Sedan

G37 vs TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:11 PM
sarge_in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g37guy01 - No idea what you mean by that comment.

Chris11LE - Rightly said. There are issues with every single car.

rpm&my_G35 - Thanks for the rational and detailed response to several points raised there

As a newcomer to both of these cars and no loyalties either ways, perusing through the forums gave me the impression that G37 has a few more discussed issues than the TL - paint, aggressive downshifting, engine speeds suddenly going up and down, vibrations/shaking etc. The common ones with TL seem to be rattles, bluetooth units, vibrations etc.

But for these things, I believe it is better to rely on statistical data available from various providers than draw conclusions from forums. Here is the info for these two:

G37 - 2011 Infiniti G37 Reliability Rating
TL - 2011 Acura TL Reliability Rating

These also seem to indicate a slight edge to TL.

Agree about most of your points, only regarding the cabin room, TL does feel more spacious, as well as better built and refined. Esp the seats, they are much firmer in G37; I prefer the ones in TL for sure.

Tazicon - Exactly, that is why I posted both places to get a balanced view. Are your seats the 'regular' ones, or did you get a sport package or something with different seats?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:14 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Jewbag
You answered your question right there.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
In the acurazine article many of the posters mentioned they didn't feel there wouldn't be a big difference in performance due to the difference in hp between the two cars. The reason I wanted the "G" is due to is performance orientation. Having been in past Acuras I also prefer the interior of the G and don't believe, IMO, the interior is a step up as the acura fans say.

I also don't use reliability surveys as a factor in my car purchases, as it is betting your car will statistically fall within the overall survey, and I don't gamble. As they say your mileage will vary and even Lexus, Porsche and the other top rated brands produce lemons.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Carpediem

I just want to pop in with my first post because I am comparing the two vehicles as well, but I think what stands out in both forums is nobody (that I can recall) has resorted to "It's a Honda, or it's a Nissan". With that said it apparently has affected my impressions....when I drove the G37, currently own an 08 Altima, I saw a lot of similar buttons, head liner, blinker/wiper levers and it affected the luxury feel for me. I am SURE this is the same in the TL if I was coming from an Accord, but the Honda/Acura is completely new to me so it had more of a luxury feel than the G37.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by sarge_in
Tazicon - Exactly, that is why I posted both places to get a balanced view. Are your seats the 'regular' ones, or did you get a sport package or something with different seats?

I have the IPL (Infiniti Performance Line) that has a sport type package which includes the seats.

Oh and I am a bit shocked by the differance in reliability ratings. I thought they were much closer when I looked into them. That sure does make the TL worth getting now doesn't it.

Last edited by Tazicon; 09-21-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:06 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Just had a 2010 TL get traded in at my lot...man is it ugly lol
Old 09-21-2011, 04:33 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
I have the IPL (Infiniti Performance Line) that has a sport type package which includes the seats.

Oh and I am a bit shocked by the differance in reliability ratings. I thought they were much closer when I looked into them. That sure does make the TL worth getting now doesn't it.
No it doesn't make the TL worth getting.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Jayhawk815

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by financeman
A $120 oil change is not worth pastries and coffee
Oh really? Then how do you justify spending $120 for an oil change without the pastries and coffee?

I owned a 3rd generation TL....great car though the seats and dash board had a lot of problems with premature wear. I don't see those kinds of problems....yet, in my 13 month old G. That said, you really need to calculate and compare the cost of maintenance. My G is extremely expensive to maintain; an ester based oil change every 3,750 miles (about $120) vs. a mineral oil change every 6,000 miles on the TL. Its my understanding the 2011 G can use regular mineral oil without the ticking noises that sometimes afflicted the earlier Gs.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:57 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayhawk815
Oh really? Then how do you justify spending $120 for an oil change without the pastries and coffee?
lmao
Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayhawk815
Hey....I catch on fast...screw me once, shame on you; screw me twice, shame on me. Dealership only got me once....but the coffee and pastries were delicious!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 AM
sarge_in

OK, so after 2 more rounds of back-to-back driving and comparison between all 3 - the TL base, TL SHAWD and G37, I have at least narrowed it down to the TL.

Impressions didn't change a whole lot from prior tests. Based just on performance, G37 certainly scores better than TL base, but wasn't as different from SHAWD. The difference between them is stark esp on winding roads that I made sure to explore more this time - really gave an appreciation of what the G37 and the SHAWD offer over the TL base. But in the end, space, seat (I like TL much better as G37 is quite firm), interior feel, high-res screen, buttons etc pulled me over to the TL side. Also, I am not sure how to describe it, but the G37 engine felt somewhat 'coarse'?! The TL was very smooth.

To be fair, I enjoyed the G37 as well a lot. Esp the option to use it like a manual from the stick rather than paddle shifters was fun. If the objective was pure performance, G37 would still be contending against the SHAWD. I also like the NAV views that G37 offers a bit more. I will also miss the smaller turning radius of the G.

Like many mentioned, both are excellent cars and it really is personal preference and priorities that will drive the ultimate decision.

Cheers!!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Jayhawk815

Hey....I catch on fast...screw me once, shame on you; screw me twice, shame on me. Dealership only got me once....but the coffee and pastries were delicious!
So the BMW/MB dealership only screwed you once, but the Infiniti dealership continues to screw you?

OK, so after 2 more rounds of back-to-back driving and comparison between all 3 - the TL base, TL SHAWD and G37, I have at least narrowed it down to the TL.

Impressions didn't change a whole lot from prior tests. Based just on performance, G37 certainly scores better than TL base, but wasn't as different from SHAWD. The difference between them is stark esp on winding roads that I made sure to explore more this time - really gave an appreciation of what the G37 and the SHAWD offer over the TL base. But in the end, space, seat (I like TL much better as G37 is quite firm), interior feel, high-res screen, buttons etc pulled me over to the TL side. Also, I am not sure how to describe it, but the G37 engine felt somewhat 'coarse'?! The TL was very smooth.

To be fair, I enjoyed the G37 as well a lot. Esp the option to use it like a manual from the stick rather than paddle shifters was fun. If the objective was pure performance, G37 would still be contending against the SHAWD. I also like the NAV views that G37 offers a bit more. I will also miss the smaller turning radius of the G.

Like many mentioned, both are excellent cars and it really is personal preference and priorities that will drive the ultimate decision.

Cheers!!
Hey, at least you're not getting a pre-2012 TL. The refresh really helped, IMO. If it had be done prior to my purchase of a G, I might have given it more consideration, especially since my priorities align closely with yours. To me, it'd definitely be worth going with the SH-AWD. The torque-vectoring AWD is so much better than the FWD. Let us know what you decide, and don't forget the pics of your new ride!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Jayhawk815

Sarge, the list price difference between the FWD TL and the SH-AWD TL is $3,500. From what you have seen, are they selling at that margin as well?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:27 AM
ak47
Banned

i see no changes in the new tl for the 2010/2011 style. the 2012s looks the same to. i sell infinitis and my buddy has a acura and he regets having it. its long bulky handles like crap. its all personal preffrence. I still beleave there the entry level luxury brand.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
OK, so after 2 more rounds of back-to-back driving and comparison between all 3 - the TL base, TL SHAWD and G37, I have at least narrowed it down to the TL...
Congratulations on deciding what's best for you. I'm sure you will enjoy your new ride.
Please come back and give us your honest thoughts on the TL in a few months/year. I know I won't mind a review, even if it's all positive

Quick Reply: G37 vs TL