Old 09-20-2011, 06:00 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
1-4-0-0

have to say individual numbers
Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too agree the Tech portion of the Acura is by far one of the best in any car...but in my opinion an over $40,000 car should not be FWD.
I would rather have RWD, or in my case AWD, and less tech than have more tech and FWD.
It just boggles me that Acura does not make a RWD car. I think they would sell much better if they did.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:25 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sarge_in
Sound advice! This review seems to suggest on similar lines - in fact, the first para says it all:

2012 Acura TL Review: Balancing Act - Forbes

I also wonder whether folks claiming significant performance gap between the two are basing it on the 2011 or the 2012 version. The 2012 did get some performance improvements as well, so it may be actually closer than it was in the past. G37 is still better for sportiness of course, no question about that.

Hoping to go for another test drive today evening..
I went through this when I bought my G. The Acura was struck from the short list, because of long turn radius, fwd and the general dislike of the styling. The G seemed to have hit the nail on the head for styling, value and performance.

The G won my heart and the dealer won my dollars.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I hear you about the looks. Like I mentioned before, if this was G37 against the 2011 TL, I would most probably have gone with the G37. The 2012 TL, I am actually growing to like the angular lines and the not-as-horrible beak. The front is still a bit of a disappointment but nothing I can't live with.

I must add that my preference for TL (at least as of right now) is also influenced a good amount by the tech in it. The controls, interface, button layout, sound quality, screen quality is MUCH better in the TL (IMO, of course) - there is not even a question about that in my mind. The TL rotary wheel is a joy to use and positioned perfectly for easy access (unlike the BMW). Why they but the G37 buttons in an almost horizontal plane is beyond me - makes it inconvenient to see and use. I am a semi-audiophile - the AV unit and speakers in my 2009 Odyssey were replaced in the first month after purchase. Unfortunately, the units in these upscale/luxury cars are almost impossible to replace due to tight integration with everything else. So I HAVE to live with what I get as stock.

The G37 tech does have a couple things over TL though - video playback, and NAV 3-D view. Seems a unit is in dev to add video inputs to TL though.
Really either way you go I don't think you will be disaapointed. Like the report said you drive the car from the inside and it still sounds like to me the TL has the advantage there. I sure did love my Acuras and my Hondas as well. I wouldn't have hasitated to buy one if the wife wanted one.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I wanted performance, so I went with the G. Then added wider wheels and a set of coilovers. Rough ride? Yeah... so.

Corners like it's on rails! hahahaha!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
I wish that were true.

Supposedly they came up with a fix for the 5 spd Acura tranny issues in March 2005, but that remains to be seen as even the replacements since then are still failing. My 2000 Accord had basically the same issue (4 spd AT instead of 5, but the root cause is the same), so it goes all the way back to then.

My wifes 03 TL lost the original tranny about 8 months ago, at 65K miles.

And it seems there are people having transmission issues on the 4th gen TLs as well.

Funny thing is I could swear at one time I heard of Honda making a deal with GM to share drivetrain parts.......I was REALLY hoping Honda would share the engines and GM would share the AT, because GM ATs are fairly indestructible as are Honda engines.
Very interesting. I'll have to do more research for the next purchase(the TSX is on lease). On the anecdotal front, one of the guys that works for me has lost 2 transmissions on 2 GMs and he is not an aggressive driver.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cy7878
My local MB and BMW dealers give you a loaner the minute you drop off a car.

My local infiniti and acura dealers sits you in a lounge with 10 other people unless you spent more than $300 on service.

My local MB and BMW serves pastries and has a soda fountain.
My local Infiniti and acura gives you a coffee maker and water. want a snack? but it from a vending machine.

Small things matter, IMO.
A $120 oil change is not worth pastries and coffee
Old 09-20-2011, 11:59 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Made in Japan vs made in Ohio anyone? I have owned Acuras made in Japan and Ohio, would never buy another Ohio made one. YMMV.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:03 AM
pricojorge

you guys have to realize that asking about an Infiniti and something else in an Infiniti forum people will pick the Infiniti ....
same as an Acura forum ....
Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 AM
g37guy01

And oh, in case folks are curious about what the TL guys have to say about this - or for others who may be at similar crossroads - here is the link to that thread:

TL vs G37 - AcuraZine Community
Reading this made me realize why I crossed the Acura off my short list without ever driving it. Lol.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Coprolite
Very interesting. I'll have to do more research for the next purchase(the TSX is on lease). On the anecdotal front, one of the guys that works for me has lost 2 transmissions on 2 GMs and he is not an aggressive driver.
Heh, I guess we can find issues wherever we look! Might as well just buy what you like and let the warranty do the rest.

AFAIK Hondas transmission troubles have always been when mated up to V6 engines only. Too much torque (bet you've never heard that about a Honda engine before!), friction, heat, etc. Which is ashame, because when I sat in my Accord V6 for the first time (test driving it) that engine was so smooth I actually didnt know if it was running at a stop light.

The 4 bangers rarely have issues, although my sister in law had to have the transmission in her 98 4 banger Accord replaced because of the carrier bearing. Then again it did have almost 100K miles on it.

I have to give props to Honda, when the wifes transmission died they covered 90+% of the cost for replacement, even out of warranty. Unfortunately just having to deal with it like I did, Im sworn off Hondas/Acuras for a while. I might be replacing her TL with an M (for me) and she can take the G.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Personally had nothing except problems with 08 rdx.
Plus its built in ohio, tl is built in canada.
Maybe with shawd, even then they are built like crap.
Unlike the old tl , new one is weak.
Tl , will not survive a decent hit, wifes cousin just totaled his 2011 tl.
He got t boned by a little mitsubishi lancer.
After seeing his car, i would never buy one.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
That's a good thread you have going over at AcuraZine too. Nice to read and no real haters.

For the most part the comments there are fair, however, I would like to clear up a couple minor things.

False comments posted about the G37:
1. "you can operate the nav on the TL while driving while the Infiniti locks you out when driving"
- As you are aware by now this is not completely true
One post even said "the Infiniti Nav doesn't work while driving". What's that supposed to mean?

2. "...the G37 is that it's due for a full model change soon. I believe next year?"
- new 2014 model

3. "The TL has more passenger room all around"
Headroom Ft/Rr,....TL 38.4/36.7........G37 40.5/37.7 w/o sunroof and 39.1/37.2 with sunroof
Legroom Ft/Rr,......TL 42.5/36.3........G37 43.9/34.7
Pretty close IMO

Other:
1. "Infiniti paint problems"..."swirls and peeling paint"
- I am on my second G (both Obsidian Black). I'm not going to sit here a pretend nobody has had issues with the paint however for me its been no trouble at all. I properly hand wash my cars and get them properly polished every couple years. When I returned my 07 the paint was less swirled than some of the brand new cars on the lot. I never had any exterior peeling paint. Ask just about any body shop these days and they will tell you that paint on just about every car today sucks compared to the past.

2. "so many Infiniti's out there"
- like you said yourself, there's probably a very good reason for this. I also see far more Infinitis where I live..and many more Lexus, MB and BMW as well. Not many new TLs...odd if you consider that 2012 is the 4th year for the model.

3. "...I really like about the TL's navi, one is the above and the other is, it always displays the name of the street you're on."
- The Infiniti Nav also displays the name of the street you are driving on (at the bottom) as well as your next turn (at the top)

4. "The fact that having the manual deletes the rear A/C vents and results in an unusable abbreviated center armrest, along with the poor mileage (as reported by most owners) and the staggered sized tires/wheels (which would preclude tire rotations) made it undesirable for me."
- the 6mt still has heat and air vents under the front seats which warm and cool the rear seat occupant area
- I find that my arm sits quite comfortably on the arm rest of my 6mt
- I get the same reported mileage as the guys with SH-AWD
- staggered = better handling...also only the G37S is staggered. It's a trade off but you don't have to have staggered on a G.

5. "issue re-importing the phone book"
The Infiniti system can be set to automatically re-read/sync the handset phone book every time it pairs-up with the car. It works great.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
One thing I would like to add, if you have the seats like I do they hug you as well. I am not sure what they are called but I love the seats in my IPL (10 way adjustable? I believe these are the same in the Sports). I can make them hug me more, or then turn around and have them hug me less. This goes for both the body as well as the legs. I really do love my seats.

While reading the Acura forums there really was a LOT of misinformation about the G's, but then again I have seen lot of it as well in this thread about the Acuras. If you read through both threads it really does clear up most everything about both cars. Way to get a good comparision going!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 PM
The Jewbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2. RWD

You answered your question right there.

Quick Reply: G37 vs TL