Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:15 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by sarge_in
For TL-Tech:
2. ...Shows iPod album art...
7. G37 rear has that big hump which makes middle seat almost unusable.
------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple things to confirm:
1) I heard that Infiniti locks you out of NAV during motion. True?
2) How good is video playback from USB drives? Formats? This is one feature the TL does not have, despite having a more advanced unit. A third-party add-on product is in the works it seems.

Thanks!
2. The Infiniti system also displays iPod album art.
7. RWD = the hump in the rear floor...I'm sure you know this though.

1) Not everything is locked out. As mentioned, as the driver you still have full voice activated control, ie State, City, Street Hse #...and much much more. Manual touch screen controls (while in motion) will still allow you to do quite a bit but no keyboard typing. There is an easy to install Nav lockout bypass for it from KPTechnologies for $100.
2) Video playback from a thumb drive is excellent (if the source file is good). Video playback from an original movie DVD is amazing and the sound blows you away.

Best of luck in choosing between all these very good vehicles.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
One question - has Honda/Acura figured out their automatic transmission issues?

I know some of us may not like how the 7AT shifts, but so far at least it hasnt fallen apart.....

That fud is almost as old as the Pennzoil=sludge misconception.

AFAIK the Honda transmission issues were about 9 years ago and have long been resolved.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:30 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
One question - has Honda/Acura figured out their automatic transmission issues?

I know some of us may not like how the 7AT shifts, but so far at least it hasnt fallen apart.....
the last i heard, even the 4g sh-awd 6mt tl's were having the same synchro issues. their automatics have finally made it into the 6at crowd though -- though i'm sure they build them = more tranny issues in the near future.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cy7878
My local MB and BMW dealers give you a loaner the minute you drop off a car.

My local infiniti and acura dealers sits you in a lounge with 10 other people unless you spent more than $300 on service.

My local MB and BMW serves pastries and has a soda fountain.
My local Infiniti and acura gives you a coffee maker and water. want a snack? but it from a vending machine.

Small things matter, IMO.
Not the way Ray Catena of Edison operates. I'm sure a couple of people could comment. Loaners at the drop of a hat if you bought the car there. Refreshments and all of the amenities.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:08 PM
sarge_in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
2. The Infiniti system also displays iPod album art.
7. RWD = the hump in the rear floor...I'm sure you know this though.

1) Not everything is locked out. As mentioned, as the driver you still have full voice activated control, ie State, City, Street Hse #...and much much more. Manual touch screen controls (while in motion) will still allow you to do quite a bit but no keyboard typing. There is an easy to install Nav lockout bypass for it from KPTechnologies for $100.
2) Video playback from a thumb drive is excellent (if the source file is good). Video playback from an original movie DVD is amazing and the sound blows you away.

Best of luck in choosing between all these very good vehicles.
This is useful info - thanks! Are you able to bypass the video playback too?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Jayhawk815

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is useful info - thanks! Are you able to bypass the video playback too?
You can, but discussing the process is a no-no on this forum.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
sarge_in

Originally Posted by Tazicon
Anyway once again the TL is probably going to be the wiser choice. You just can't expect the performance. The TL has some giddy up anyway and can be fun to drive on a road with tight curves. The kid in you can still come out when you want.
Sound advice! This review seems to suggest on similar lines - in fact, the first para says it all:

2012 Acura TL Review: Balancing Act - Forbes

I also wonder whether folks claiming significant performance gap between the two are basing it on the 2011 or the 2012 version. The 2012 did get some performance improvements as well, so it may be actually closer than it was in the past. G37 is still better for sportiness of course, no question about that.

Hoping to go for another test drive today evening..
Old 09-20-2011, 02:28 PM
sarge_in

And oh, in case folks are curious about what the TL guys have to say about this - or for others who may be at similar crossroads - here is the link to that thread:

TL vs G37 - AcuraZine Community
Old 09-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Coprolite
That fud is almost as old as the Pennzoil=sludge misconception.

AFAIK the Honda transmission issues were about 9 years ago and have long been resolved.
I wish that were true.

Supposedly they came up with a fix for the 5 spd Acura tranny issues in March 2005, but that remains to be seen as even the replacements since then are still failing. My 2000 Accord had basically the same issue (4 spd AT instead of 5, but the root cause is the same), so it goes all the way back to then.

My wifes 03 TL lost the original tranny about 8 months ago, at 65K miles.

And it seems there are people having transmission issues on the 4th gen TLs as well.

Funny thing is I could swear at one time I heard of Honda making a deal with GM to share drivetrain parts.......I was REALLY hoping Honda would share the engines and GM would share the AT, because GM ATs are fairly indestructible as are Honda engines.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:59 PM
tejasg37x

And oh, in case folks are curious about what the TL guys have to say about this - or for others who may be at similar crossroads - here is the link to that thread:

TL vs G37 - AcuraZine Community
I read it, they state their points about not liking the G and then one guy has the nerve to say people here are haters because it was said the TL is ugly.
The ugly front end and the FWD is what made it easier for me to decide on the G. I've had an Acura before and know how good of a car it is. But FWD on a luxury/sport sedan is just wrong...and that beak on the front kills the looks.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:28 PM
HappyG

Not only the front beak is ugly. The rear is really butt ugly. That did it for me. Of course, that is just my own opinion.

If the TL exterior look fine to you and that you don't have the desire to feel the road, then TL is for you. Go for it.

My G could sit 4 adults plus 1 kid. My son usually sit at the center seat in the rear when we already have 4 people in the car. Not that bad. If you don't intend to sit 5 or more adults and that you want to have fun driving, then G is for you.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:54 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
yes it is locked from factory, but ways to disable. However the voice controls are really really good for the nav. I guarantee i can input by voice a destination quicker then you can with the touch screen.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Sound advice! This review seems to suggest on similar lines - in fact, the first para says it all:

2012 Acura TL Review: Balancing Act - Forbes

I also wonder whether folks claiming significant performance gap between the two are basing it on the 2011 or the 2012 version. The 2012 did get some performance improvements as well, so it may be actually closer than it was in the past. G37 is still better for sportiness of course, no question about that.

Hoping to go for another test drive today evening..
That sounds like a pretty good review. I test drove a 2011 back when we were car shopping. It sounds like they did close the gap somewhat on the power differance. I have to say back in the day I loved my CL type S. FWD and the BOSE systems were it's only down falls, but I was definately able to over look them after owning it for a while (replaced the sound system). I was a big time Acura fan till the 3rd gen.................still not feeling the 4th. The second generations still look far better and dare I say more intune with the times than anything past them.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 PM
sarge_in

I hear you about the looks. Like I mentioned before, if this was G37 against the 2011 TL, I would most probably have gone with the G37. The 2012 TL, I am actually growing to like the angular lines and the not-as-horrible beak. The front is still a bit of a disappointment but nothing I can't live with.

I must add that my preference for TL (at least as of right now) is also influenced a good amount by the tech in it. The controls, interface, button layout, sound quality, screen quality is MUCH better in the TL (IMO, of course) - there is not even a question about that in my mind. The TL rotary wheel is a joy to use and positioned perfectly for easy access (unlike the BMW). Why they but the G37 buttons in an almost horizontal plane is beyond me - makes it inconvenient to see and use. I am a semi-audiophile - the AV unit and speakers in my 2009 Odyssey were replaced in the first month after purchase. Unfortunately, the units in these upscale/luxury cars are almost impossible to replace due to tight integration with everything else. So I HAVE to live with what I get as stock.

The G37 tech does have a couple things over TL though - video playback, and NAV 3-D view. Seems a unit is in dev to add video inputs to TL though.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
yes it is locked from factory, but ways to disable. However the voice controls are really really good for the nav. I guarantee i can input by voice a destination quicker then you can with the touch screen.
I tried the voice navigation, but for the life of me it couldn't interpret block/house numbers in the thousands; how do you say 1400? Do you say fourteen hundred or one thousand four hundred? I tried it both way and the voice recognition couldn't interpret it as the number 1400.

Quick Reply: G37 vs TL