G37 Sedan

Trading My G37 for S4

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:20 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are the exact wheels and offsets on a black G coupe....

Old 08-18-2011, 07:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by jran76
Here are the exact wheels and offsets on a black G coupe....

Damn that's a sexy beast, perfect combo for the OB!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by blnewt
Damn that's a sexy beast, perfect combo for the OB!
Yup.... They would look soooo good on an OB coupe or sedan.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does look tasty. All black would be nice, also. My favorites are the IPL style or Enkei RPF1 or PF01. These are quickly growing on me.

Did you notice any dramatic handling change or mpg change with these? The last time I drove a modified car, it handled like crap. I didn't do the mods myself, but it taught me to be a little cautious.

These rims seem to scream for a drop, also.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by Coprolite
It does look tasty. All black would be nice, also. My favorites are the IPL style or Enkei RPF1 or PF01. These are quickly growing on me.

Did you notice any dramatic handling change or mpg change with these? The last time I drove a modified car, it handled like crap. I didn't do the mods myself, but it taught me to be a little cautious.

These rims seem to scream for a drop, also.
All good choices on wheels.... My car was already lowered for a year and had been on a different set of aftermarket wheels when I got these, so it is hard to say that it really changed anything when I went to these wheels. I don't think it will make much difference in feel or performance, and MPG should be unaffected. You may feel a little bit more of the road due to the smaller sidewall, but it will also enhance the steering response/feel for the same reason. The wider tires should give a little more grip.

I agree that it would be best to have a drop with these, or really most aftermarket wheels, and that is where a drastic change is likely to occur in look, feel, and performance; for better or worse depending on what you do. The Tein coilovers I had did not sacrifice a lot in comfort, but were a big improvement in looks and performance. When I had Eibach springs with my stock shocks, I felt like the ride was not very good and the handling was only marginally improved. I really feel like if you want to lower your car, it is best to go with a quality set of coilovers. You really need a set of shocks and springs that are matched to each other so that everything works in harmony.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:09 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
i agree...i had Eibachs on stock shocks on my last Audi and it rode like crap.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 PM
jran76

A couple of updates....

I still have the wheels, tires, coilovers, front lip, and Cobb AccessPort available for sale. PM me if you are interested, or see my thread in the DFW classifieds on G35Driver.

Some of the parts for my S4 started to come in yesterday. The wheels (Avant Garde M310), tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports), and ST coilovers all came in, and should be installed soon. I also got the car tinted today. I will post some pics in the next couple of weeks once it all comes together. I am getting close.... I am still waiting on the black front grill and diffuser, the rear CF diffuser, and some other smaller parts.

I thought this would be a good time to post a quick review. I have had the S4 for about 10 days, and put about 600 miles on it (which is a lot for me).

The good:
**Overall feel is great. The car is rock solid, and feels very well made. The G was decent in this regards, but the S4 is in another class.
**Power! The low end torque, and power up to 5k is awesome. It does fall off some after 5-6k, but a tune will take care of that. Overall, the car is a rocket, and feels faster than it is.
**Launch control with the DSG is sweet.
**The awd is very confidence inspiring. This is my first awd car, and first non-rwd in 10 years, but I like the performance, and I have pretty much gotten use to the feel.
**The sport diff and adjustable settings are nice. Being able to change the steering feel from light to hard is a nice feature, and t makes the steering much firmer and better feeling than the G.
**The nav traffic is a nice feature. I am not normally a big fan of Nav (didn't get it on the G), but the live traffic is worth it.
**Gas mileage is pretty good. Got a realistic 28-30 MPG on the highway (doing 75-100 the whole time), and between 18-22 in the city. No bad for a really fast car.
**Interior quality and build are much better than the G, and most other cars I have looked at for that matter. There are a few materials that leave something to be desired (pedals and shifter), but overall it is a really well put together interior.

The not so good:
**My car does not have the advanced key option, and I miss this from the G. I guess I am not used to taking my key out of my pocket. For a car that cost $15k more than the G, it should have this standard.
**I have mixed feeling about the 7-speed DSG dual clutch auto/manual. As mentioned, the launch control is great and addictive. The gear changes are sufficient, and fast. However, it does not give the same feel as a manual and I miss that connected feel to some degree. It is also really clunky and rough in stop-and-go traffic. Not really any rougher than me driving a manual and it does not really bother me, but rougher than I expected. Overall, I am happy with the DSG decision, but I wish I could have the best of both worlds.
**I don't really care for the electrical parking brake, and I miss the good ole handle brake.
**The steering wheel paddles need to be bigger.
**Bigger and more sophisticated brakes would be nice for a car in this class. They work great, but they don't seem a whole lot different than the A4 brakes (just larger rotors), and the G's brakes were better looking and on par or better in performance.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:43 PM
sniper27

Congrats on the S4. Definitely post pics. Ibis White is my favorite (little biased though...lol). I agree with the overall feel. The Audi is solid and handling and steering response is precise. In regards to the DSG, I had the 6 speed DSG and it was great. Lightning fast shifts and smooth. The rough stop n go might be the 7 speed, which makes me think it is common in all 7 speeds since the G is horrible also. I also agree with the interior and build quality. I am suprised at the gas mileage though. That is exceptional for the S4.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 PM
clutch5

The not so good:
**My car does not have the advanced key option, and I miss this from the G. I guess I am not used to taking my key out of my pocket. For a car that cost $15k more than the G, it should have this standard.
*Bigger and more sophisticated brakes would be nice for a car in this class. They work great, but they don't seem a whole lot different than the A4 brakes (just larger rotors), and the G's brakes were better looking and on par or better in performance.
I'm glad advanced key is an option (standard if you get the prestige package). If I end up getting an S4, I'll probably save the $550 and go without the advanced key (though I may have no choice unless I order a car from the factory)

re: brakes, really? 60-0 in 109 feet with the stock brakes is pretty excellent. Probably the 90+ percentile of cars under 100 grand.

Last edited by clutch5; 08-25-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Morrissey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
28-30 mpg using cruise control and no ac?

Either way that is nice to hear. Like!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:13 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by Morrissey
28-30 mpg using cruise control and no ac?

Either way that is nice to hear. Like!
That is all highway, and cruise and AC part of the time.

With a mix of highway and city driving I am at 21-23 MPG. The computer says 23, but on my last fill up it was closer to 21....
Old 08-25-2011, 02:38 PM
sniper27

That is all highway, and cruise and AC part of the time.

With a mix of highway and city driving I am at 21-23 MPG. The computer says 23, but on my last fill up it was closer to 21....
that's still better then my G @ 20 mpg combined. The M is worse @ 17mpg.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:17 PM
novaleadfoot

congrats on the Audi...I had the 2.0T a few years back and chipped it APR...definitely go that route if you can...torque is awesome on Audis
Old 08-25-2011, 03:43 PM
kcg37

Congrats on the S4. I kind of agree w/ your comments on the DSG. We have an Eos w/ DSG and you tend to drive it like an auto after a while and not even bother w/ paddle shifters... I prefer manuals.
I wouldn't worry about VAG stuff, we haven't had any issues w/ our car except minor TSBs in 4 yrs. I drove an old 1995 90q over 170k without any major mechanical issues.
I just wish our g37 drivetrains were as overengineered as DTMs what with no factory oil cooler(even my old 95 audi had one, no brake ducts etc.)
Off topic, If I get stuck again in the snow this winter (w/ winter tires), I see a used b8 a4 sport 6mt w/ apr k04 turbo upgrade or golf r in my future.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:33 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by sniper27
that's still better then my G @ 20 mpg combined. The M is worse @ 17mpg.
I averaged 18-19 MPG in the G over an extended period of mixed driving. So far the S4 is a little better than the G.

Originally Posted by novaleadfoot
congrats on the Audi...I had the 2.0T a few years back and chipped it APR...definitely go that route if you can...torque is awesome on Audis
APR is definitely in my future. I plan to do the ECU, pulley, and exhaust for sure, and within the next 6 months. I am not sure about their full intake or cooling kit, but I may add those also. I will probably do everything at once.

Quick Reply: Trading My G37 for S4