G37 Sedan

G37S sedan saved my life.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 04:51 PM
SaMaster14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37S sedan saved my life.

I just wanted to get this off my chest and write it all down...

I wrote it down before... but to avoid any confusion or anything I'm taking down the story. I don't want anything confusing or untrue to be seen, just in case

Last edited by SaMaster14; 08-09-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Even if the light was turning red, it seems that you turned left into the path of a car that was coming.

Unless there is conclusive evidence that the mustang entered the intersection AFTER the light turned red, you are going to be at fault because you did not have the right of way...

Are there cameras at this particular intersection? Are there any witnesses that will attest to the mustang entering the intersection after the light turned red? Is there a police report? What about the people who would have honked at you for blocking the intersection? Do you have any of their info and/or are they willing to serve as witnesses?

What it will come down to is when did the mustang enter the intersection?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:14 PM
SaMaster14

Originally Posted by Mike
Even if the light was turning red, it seems that you turned left into the path of a car that was coming.

Unless there is conclusive evidence that the mustang entered the intersection AFTER the light turned red, you are going to be at fault because you did not have the right of way...

Are there cameras at this particular intersection? Are there any witnesses that will attest to the mustang entering the intersection after the light turned red? Is there a police report? What about the people who would have honked at you for blocking the intersection? Do you have any of their info and/or are they willing to serve as witnesses?

What it will come down to is when did the mustang enter the intersection?
I have two witnesses who confirm that he ran the red light. The police refused to take a report. They said insurance has to deal with it. I honestly don't remember if people were honking at me, but I do remember starting my turn as the light was turning red. and the light was definitely 100% red as the guy hit me. No cameras though.

Basically, I intentionally waited at the yellow light, I didn't turn immediately as it was turning yellow. It was at night, the mustang obviously appeared to be slowing down... I heard a rev and then boom. It was like he hesitated, slowed down, and then speed up to try and make the light, but by that time it was red and I was beginning my turn.

Last edited by SaMaster14; 08-05-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:44 PM
gooddeal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaMaster14
My friend behind me was turning as well, so there are no doubts that the light was red when the guy hit me, we HAD TO turn being the 1st and 2nd car in an intersection as a light was yellow turning red. (plus my two other friends were witnesses and said the same thing... we both turned as the light was mid-yellow and the mustang ran the light).

I just needed to get my story in writing and I wanted to share with my Infiniti brothers. I think my car is totaled, but I'm not sure. The car really held up considering a 'stang speed up (going over 40 mph) slammed into me as I was making a turn slowly. No engine damage at all, just passenger side and front damage (i have pics but they aren't all that good, from my balckberry, and I don't want to post them online until after the insurance thing is done with).
If his speed was really at 40mph, he probably entered the intersection when (or even before) the lights were yellow. It doesn't take long for a car to travel through 1/2 of the intersection at 40mph to hit you.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:49 PM
gooddeal

Originally Posted by SaMaster14
Basically, I intentionally waited at the yellow light, I didn't turn immediately as it was turning yellow. It was at night, the mustang obviously appeared to be slowing down... I heard a rev and then boom. It was like he hesitated, slowed down, and then speed up to try and make the light, but by that time it was red and I was beginning my turn.
...so, now you said you started turning when the lights were red?

IMO, I don't think it's an easy case. You don't have the right of way like the other poster mentioned plus your witnesses are your friends.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Mike

I hate to say it, but without a police report, and without a witness that isn't related to you that 100% corroborates your story, you're gonna be at fault, or 50/50 at best.

It's gotta be a DAMN LOUD cars for you to hear it rev before it hit you... I'm talking deafeningly loud.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM
SaMaster14

The witnesses are friends, but not related to me.

Last edited by SaMaster14; 08-09-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Mike

Your witnesses are your friends. You need an independent witness who has no interest in the outcome to corroborate your story.

Right now, its all just hearsay. There is NO firm evidence that can point it 100% one way or the other. He may have ran the red, or he may have had the right of way. There's no way to prove it.

You're looking at 50/50 here unless something solid surfaces. Is it more likely that he had right of way, than him running a red? They may or may not take into account your driving records. Does the guy have a history of reckless driving, speeding, causing accidents etc? What about you? Have you caused accidents in the past or have speeding tickets, etc.?

This is a no-win scenario unless you find multiple independent witnesses who all 100% say the guy ran a red. Even if that were the case, the question will still come up, why were you still in the intersection if the light was clearly red? What time of day this this happen? Traffic surveys of said intersection for the appropriate time? You said last night, so it's unlikely there was super heavy traffic.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I remember, anytime you turn against traffic its your fault. A friend of mine ran a red light years ago and hit the car turning and it was the cars fault that was turning. I wait till I see the cars stop before making the turn, even if I have to sit at the red light.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:38 PM
SaMaster14

I have never been in an accident and I have zero tickets. My parents also have amazing driving records (I'm 18).

Idk what to really say other than IMO and in the opinion of everyone there it wasn't my fault at all and the other guy was driving recklessly.

All that matters is I'm safe and nobody was hurt.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:20 PM
1BadAssG

It's ok bud glad you are ok. I had an accident where the same exact thing happened to me. I ended up paying for my deductible and got rid of the hassle. If you have insurance then don't worry about it.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:47 PM
voltic

And this is why I love Nissans. Back in January we got t-boned in a newer Maxima by a car going about 45-50 and walked away. The other car was a late 90's Altima and they were fine too, amazingly. Anyway, how could the police refuse to take a report? I'm pretty sure they're required to take a report. That doesn't sound right at all.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggy
From what I remember, anytime you turn against traffic its your fault. A friend of mine ran a red light years ago and hit the car turning and it was the cars fault that was turning. I wait till I see the cars stop before making the turn, even if I have to sit at the red light.
what he said. it will always be your fault, unless he ran a red light, which will then most likely be 50/50 fault.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:58 PM
g37auug

Glad you walked away
Old 08-05-2011, 09:39 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have full coverage? I assume so on a 2009, unless the car is paid off and for some reason somebody decided to let a young adult drive a nice car without full coverage.

If the guy sped up, it sounds to me like he was trying to get through the intersection as the light was turning red. You, on the other hand, were doing the same. The problem is that the other guy has the right of way.

What's fortunate for you is that if you have full coverage your car will be covered even if it's your fault. You will have to pay a deductible but at least your car will be replaced or repaired.

Quick Reply: G37S sedan saved my life.