G37 Sedan

G37S sedan saved my life.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 PM
mahonesbones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man glade everyone is alright-now 4 the headaches after. I have experience in this area and all I can say is your only hope in somehow not talking the fault 4 this was a police report that documented all the facts and the witnesses-don't take this the wrong way but if I were a insurance adjuster how can I take your story as accurate? U were focused on getting your friend that is clueless thru the intersection on a yellow red light but were able 2 see and hear the other car approach and blow the red?! Not tryn 2 make u feel bad but just bringing u 2 reallity of it all-50-50 at best-glade u r ok and hope it will work out in the long run
Old 08-08-2011, 01:16 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
First off, how in the hell can California police not take a motor vehicle accident report on a public road!? Here in Ohio, if your in an accident, there is a standardized MVA report generated ALWAYS, unless private property (or declined). The big benefit of this is the person at fault is indicated, most of the time eliminating the insurance battle.

Second, not what you want to hear, but you are at fault. The yellow/red, etc. cannot be determined accurately so it will all be hearsay, what is clear, regardless of the light, is you have to yield to oncoming traffic and not enter the intersection until safe to do so. Period.

Did you or the other guy get cited? If so, that also indicates fault.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:34 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Police don't take reports unless somebody is hurt. Also unless you have witnesses it is going to be your word against his. In your scenario you don't stand a very good chance in winning the case because you're the one turning left and he has the right of way. Doesn't matter if he ran the light or not because he could easily change the story and there is nothing you can do. Best bet is to find more independent witnesses to help you out. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM
nixfix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always, always, always, get a police report. If something like this happens to you again, make sure you get a report. Some states require that someone was injured in order to take a report, so just tell the responding officer that your neck hurts (which it very well may anyway in a couple of days).

Hope this somehow works out favorably for you.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
As much as you might want to brag about how the G37 helped you out here, these details online could come back to haunt you. Might want to edit down a good deal.

JMHO.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Tsugumo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the California DMV:
Solid Yellow– A yellow signal light means "CAUTION." The red signal is about to appear. When you see the yellow light, stop if you can do so safely. If you cannot stop safely, cross the intersection cautiously
The driver of the Mustang saw that yellow light and decided to gun it. He probably could have stopped and chose not to. Wthout any video or unbiased witnesses its a tough call though. The sad truth is people are usually in a hurry and will choose to save a couple minutes over saving a life. I'm glad everyone was ok.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:10 AM
SaMaster14

Originally Posted by nixfix
Always, always, always, get a police report. If something like this happens to you again, make sure you get a report. Some states require that someone was injured in order to take a report, so just tell the responding officer that your neck hurts (which it very well may anyway in a couple of days).

Hope this somehow works out favorably for you.
New California law restricts LAPD/BHPD from taking any report at all. Its a joke and a nuisance, but its the law...

Also, I'm going to edit some of my posts as you guys said. Obviously everything happened quickly and I didn't remember the whole thing completely, but I spoke to my witnesses and one, who saw the accident from the side let me know that he saw the mustang basically stop (slow down substantially) and then gun it, through a completely RED light. That was the statement he had given.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Okita240

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I knew a guy once that deliberatly accelerated when he saw a person making a left in front of him just to make sure that his car would be totaled for insurance collection. It sounds like this Mustang had the same idea?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:11 AM
SaMaster14

Originally Posted by Okita240
I knew a guy once that deliberatly accelerated when he saw a person making a left in front of him just to make sure that his car would be totaled for insurance collection. It sounds like this Mustang had the same idea?
the guy didn't seem to have ulterior motives, but who knows. Very well could be. Though, he could have just not seen me and was in a rush.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SaMaster14
the guy didn't seem to have ulterior motives, but who knows. Very well could be. Though, he could have just not seen me and was in a rush.
He may very well have seen you and thought, given the car you were driving, that if he slowed for a second you'd nail your turn and he could then bust the red. There probably wasn't time for it to occur to him that you AND your buddy would do a slo-mo leftie in front of him.

Good luck to you. My own opinion is that both of you did it wrong, and should just let your insurance handle it.