G37 Sedan

G37S sedan saved my life.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 PM
pdxg37s

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
those blinking left turn lanes that allow you to turn once it's clear..yeah we have those too.. It is illegal to be in the intersection while waiting to make that turn ( i know ,I do it too) But that's the law.. plus you just admitted you were trying to get your buddy through too..
if you say to the insurance adjusters what you stated o this board you are not going to fair too well..

remember everything you say or post online is always going to be out there.. (thank you girls gone wild )

Anyways..glad you are okay...
Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
You are okay because you were in a modern vehicle. The majority of modern vehicles share similar safety systems, and there are many, many current american vehicles with even better safety systems, vehicles both more expensive and less than the G37. That 2007 'stang was carrying a frame structure designed in 2001, and contained safety equipment from about the same period. Japanese vehicles designed around the same time period would have experience similar damage.

For the record, the G37 has 'good' ratings across the board from the IHS, with the exception of a rear impact, which is rated as 'marginal,' and the dynamic rating, which is also 'marginal' So don't get hit from behind, especially with little kids in the back.

In comparison, the 2011 Charger R/T has a 'good' rating across the board, as does the Ford Taurus SHO. In addition, the Taurus and the Charger have a number of sfatey systems not present in the G, such as lower leg/knee and footwell airbags, active head restraint systems, and additional lower and upper airbags in the rear passenger area. Additionally, the Taurus even has airbags in the seatbelts.

I am not hating or trolling, I loved my G37, I just hate to see folks bag on US cars for being unsafe, when almost all modern vehicles are equally safe. You can be guaranteed that the 2013 G will contain an equal compliment of of safety equipment, if not more, as well as an even better frame design. FYI - this is also the reason why modern cars are getting heavier, and why older cars were so light. They had no GD safety equipment.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 PM
SaMaster14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually in Los Angeles/California it is ok to be in the middle of an intersection on a green light, and two cars are allowed if room is permitted (my buddy checked up on the law and read the driving manuals and everything from the DMV...)

My car does have full coverage and insurance will take care of everything. I'm obviously shooting to win... but honestly I don't know how I could get less than 50/50. Everyone we've spoken too, body shop, insurance, etc said that if I can prove it was his fault and that the witnesses agree that he ran a red light, we should win, if not it will just be inconclusive and be split 50/50.

But regardless, everyone is ok
Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I test drove the ford taurus and was unimpressed with the drive. The g has a much better road feel even though it is more expensive than the sho that has more power.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
good that you are ok!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:41 AM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad you're ok. Unfortunately I think it will be difficult to prevail in this case....unless there are cameras or independent witnesses.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:39 AM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxg37s
It is illegal to be in the intersection while waiting to make that turn. But that's the law
No it's not. Big bucket of fail.

Now, it's illegal to yield the right of way to an oncoming car.

And it's illegal to enter the intersection after the light has turned red.

In some places, it's illegal to wait until the light turns red before making your turn.

But otherwise, it's absolutely legal to enter the intersection on a green or yellow light and wait until you have the right of way to make your turn.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 AM
JJsBusaRox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, let me say I'm glad you are ok and didn't get seriously injured. I got in the same type accident when I was 20 also (1993). All the scenario you mentioned, exactly the same except I had my girlfriend in the car with me and the guy who hit me was drunk. The light had already turned red so I had to clear the intersection. I thought the last of the cars going the opposite direction were through and didn't see any more. As I started the turn, this drunk driver decided he was still going through the red light and slammed into the front right of the car just before the door doing more than 40mph. Had I been through the turn in another 3-5 feet, that car would have slammed right in to my girlfriend...which is my wife now by the way.

The car we were in was a brand new 1993 Acura Integra. Back in the day, wearing seat belts was not a very popular thing to do. But if some of you remember, the Acuras and Hondas they made around those years had the automatic seat belts. Hell, I didn't even have my waist belt on, but my wife did. Had it not been for that automatic seat belt and had I gone through the intersection just a few feet more, my wife and I would have been dead. The car hit us so hard we ended up at the other end of the intersection.

Sorry for the long story OP, just had to share it as well. Again, glad you're alright.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
mustang had the right of way, you turned into his path. looks like its your fault.
how can the guys waiting behind you (the witnesses) see if the mustang ran the red light? they would have been facing away from the light right?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If he ran the red, then so did you. Unless CA law is different than 3 other states I'm aware of, creeping out into the intersection to make a turn and turning when it turns red is illegal. Two wrongs = you both take care of your own situation with insurance.

If the nose of his car entered the intersection at yellow, even if it turned red after the nose of his car crossed the line, you're at fault.

And I'm not attacking you. I do the same for left turn movements all the time, and there's always a chance that you can misjudge whether the person with the right of way is slowing down or continuing through on a yellow.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:25 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
mustang had the right of way, you turned into his path. looks like its your fault.
how can the guys waiting behind you (the witnesses) see if the mustang ran the red light? they would have been facing away from the light right?

Since he has to be waiting in the intersection to make a turn, there was no turn light which means the lights will turn yellow/red both directions at the same time.

As others have said, unless you have non judgmental witnesses or video it will be a 50/50 as it is all just hearsay from the people involved in the accident, unfortunately it is most likely not your fault, but this is unprovable.

I will agree with another poster as well that it is weird for the police to not take reports, that is their job. If they really did refuse, I would probably call the local PD and ask why they refused to take a report.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:19 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JJsBusaRox
First off, let me say I'm glad you are ok and didn't get seriously injured. I got in the same type accident when I was 20 also (1993).
Now that I think about it, I was in the same accident, too, when I was 18. I'm 52 now.

I was in a 1969 Lincoln Mark III (3 ton, 460 cubic inch V8, daddy hand-me-down), was taking a left on a yellow (after a green arrow), and was broadsided on my right rear side by a Camaro flying through the intersection at 40 mph.

I didn't see him because he was in the right lane, of three lanes... and his lane was clear, no cars. The center and left lanes had cars waiting for the light to turn green. Just as I turned, the light went from yellow to red. The guy in the Camaro saw that, had an open road in front of him, and nailed it, and slammed into the right rear of my tank. It threw my car off the road, he spun for 100 yards and busted up his face. I don't know who's fault it was, or who paid for what.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Z gave way to G

I was hit in a somewhat similar case, but I was the driver going straight and some lady turned left on a yellow and ended up hitting me. She was 100% at fault according to police and insurance company. She was cited for failing to yield in a left turn. I don't think you'll win this one. Good luck though. Atleast you walked away, unharmed. That's the important thing.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Marty Mcfly

First and foremost, it's good to hear the car protected you from injury. As an 'above average' priced car, it should have done at least that.

As for insurance and/or fault, as long as you carry PIP you're OK. Especially in "At-Fault" states, Personal Injury Protection is worth every penny because
it gives a certain degree of "No Fault" from the get-go.

As for the Mustang, it hit nose first, which is a designed crumble zone, so
it's gonna look a lot worst than the beam reinforced side of the car. Ultimately your safety and well-being is paramount. Glad to hear your Ok. Cars can be replaced.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this could go either way. If you're already in the intersection(meaning passed all the white lines) before the light turns red then you can LEGALLY make your left turn. I have done this with the police right behind me and I've also seen police do it as well. The only problem your going to have is proving that he entered the intersection after the light turned red. Any witness does help especially if he doesn't have any. I had a near miss like this. I waited until the light turned red before I turned and this Nissan Pathfinder who initially began to stop decided against it. As soon as I began my turn she sped up. Luckily I saw her and was able to put the pedal to the floor to avoid an accident. Glad to hear that your ok and I hope everything works out in your favor.

Quick Reply: G37S sedan saved my life.