G37 Sedan

How important is a sun/moonroof to you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:22 AM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Even if you never open or tilt the sunroof, the extra light it allows in is worth its weight in gold. Some of you guys are taking the sunroof for granted. Go sit in a non sunroof car, it really changes the interior feel.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 AM
fluxemag

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Journey with no sunroof. It's perfect for me because I'm tall and it gives me an extra inch or two of head room. Also, living in AZ the last thing I want is more sun or light coming into the car.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:34 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get it or you will regret later. There is a reason you get "good deal" for the base G.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:05 PM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As you can see by the many replies, some like 'em, some don't. It's purely one of those decisions you will have to make yourself.

I'm one of those that instantly tilts it open if I don't slide it all the way open nearly every time I get in the car. It gives me that open feeling without having to put the windows down. I usually have it tilted open even when running the air.

Having the windows down on the highway can be dangerous. My wife and I were traveling up I-5 last month in my truck with no sunroof, so I naturally had my window down a little and my wife (passenger) had hers up. The road is a mess with potholes. An 18 wheeler traveling about 100 feet ahead of us in the lane to the right hits a pot hole and sends up a chunk of road like a rocket toward us. It just clears the side mirror and slams into the side window leaving a large scar. The angle was so that if the window was down it would have hit my wife right in the face!

After this experience I'm sold on side windows up and sunroof open.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fluxemag
I have a Journey with no sunroof. It's perfect for me because I'm tall and it gives me an extra inch or two of head room. Also, living in AZ the last thing I want is more sun or light coming into the car.
I visit AZ often and I always try to rent cars with sunroofs.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:32 PM
DjFromVA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can live without a sun roof imo lol
Old 07-25-2011, 03:44 PM
KLB

I have one. I seldom use it. Only reason I have it is because it was part of the package.

I do not understand why you are asking others to help you decide though. Only you know if you would use it, or miss it if you did not have it.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM
atombomb33
Registered Member

All of my cars have had a sunroof/moonroof - except for one. And that was a huge mistake. I bought a 2008 Evo X. Got an amazing deal on it. The car drove amazingly. But, Mitsu didn't offer a sunroof on the 2008 model. After a few months I really missed having a sunroof and eventually sold the car (for a multitude of reasons, but the sunroof was one).

If you've always had a sunroof/moonroof it will likely bother you on a daily basis if you don't have one.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Warp37

I'm with the crowd that considers a sunroof (and premium package) mandatory. I use it all the time and, get this -- sometimes they're called a moonroof. Man, there's nothing like opening it open at night when the weather's right. Glance up and see the stars, oh yeah, baby.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AnhKhanh
I found a good deal on a G but it doesnt come with a sunroof since its a base and not a journey. Is a sunroof that important to you? how often do you use urs if you have one? do you think its more aesthetically pleasing? is it a must have for you?
First of all, is this even an issue anymore? Cars can sell fast...

Secondly, in the years I researched (2008-2009) the sunroof was part of the Premium package, not the Journey.

In those years, Journey gives you:
- automatic headlights
- dual zone climate control
- upgraded passenger seat
- six-CD changer

The Premium package gives you:
- sunroof
- power steering column
- driver position memory
- bluetooth
- heated front seats and mirrors
- Bose premium audio
- iPod interface

Lastly, this is your call, not ours... but as i said earlier, I personally enjoy it and wouldn't have a G37 without it being a Journey or having the Premium package.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Marty Mcfly

It's an owner's choice. Too many variables play part in the decision. I'd say most of
the comments are spot on.
1)Luxury cars = Power Sun Roofs, they are also a selling point later on, if you sell it.
2)If it comes with the package, take it, unless it compromises headroom.
3)Personally, I like 'em. I'm down south, so I'll use mine in the winter, lol. Pulling
the shade back with the sun roof closed still offers a nice atmosphere while driving.
Overall, ALL of its advantages outweigh only one disadvantage... Your head hits the
roof, if you're too tall.

Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 PM
DadsTaxi

As previously mentioned, it's really a personal choice. I live in AZ and love it in the winter. I almost always have it open. Also enjoy opening up the shade when driving at night in the summer.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
At night with the sunroof open=heaven.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 PM
zoner

Originally Posted by gee wiz
As you can see by the many replies, some like 'em, some don't. It's purely one of those decisions you will have to make yourself.

I'm one of those that instantly tilts it open if I don't slide it all the way open nearly every time I get in the car. It gives me that open feeling without having to put the windows down. I usually have it tilted open even when running the air.

Having the windows down on the highway can be dangerous. My wife and I were traveling up I-5 last month in my truck with no sunroof, so I naturally had my window down a little and my wife (passenger) had hers up. The road is a mess with potholes. An 18 wheeler traveling about 100 feet ahead of us in the lane to the right hits a pot hole and sends up a chunk of road like a rocket toward us. It just clears the side mirror and slams into the side window leaving a large scar. The angle was so that if the window was down it would have hit my wife right in the face!

After this experience I'm sold on side windows up and sunroof open.
But then you have to worry about bird poop. LOL that is why my daughter won't sit in the front when it is open. But I don't worry, open air motoring without the convertible drawbacks.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by fluxemag
Living in Vegas I wouldn't go with out one. During the day I don't open it but I do tip it. At night though I love having it open. During the cold months mine in the Jag is always open and I don't see it being different with the G (just bought it). With the Jeep the top is off 9 months of the year.

Quick Reply: How important is a sun/moonroof to you?