G37 Sedan

BMW 335 gets software update, when will we?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:47 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by coolraz
Sprint booster, yes that is a gimmick.

A chip though is NOT a gimmick, like this guy said the ones for the 335i (especially the n54 version) are really good

Oh and to the guy who asked why they dont come like this from factory:
1. the chipped tune is an agressive tune. It's NOT a 100% safe tune and if you keep pushing the car, you could blow your engine/turbos.
2. having "too high" horsepower pushes the car in a different class for insurance etc. It's like back in the day when the japanese made all these cars that were <300hp but they were all actually MUCH more, but they did to because of weird regulations.
So BMW has nothing to gain by loading a very aggressive tune that will have issues (even if it's only 1 in 1000 cars or whatever) and will cost more to own. They put out a conservative tune that makes the car reliable enough (minus the fuel pump lol!) and has the HP to compete in the class vs infinit, lexus, MB etc
Agreed, but again the OP was referring to chips for OUR cars, not the 335i. Those chips aren't too fantastic; from what I've heard from a buddy, the JB3 only ups the boost without really taking into the specs - it's less refined than the Procede. You can tell when you drive the car...it's essentially the "cheap way out." I've heard good things about the JB4 on the other hand

PS Although the Sprint Booster piece is made of plastic, it actually does what it claims to do. Ups the sensitivity/syncs the drive-by-wire for more throttle response.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I see references to FI. Aren't the 3.5 and 3.7 VVQ Nissan engines Fuel Injected??? Or does the Poster mean Direct Injected like the new Hyandai engines....
Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
I see references to FI. Aren't the 3.5 and 3.7 VVQ Nissan engines Fuel Injected??? Or does the Poster mean Direct Injected like the new Hyandai engines....
In some posts, FI means Forced Induction. Covers both super chargers and turbos.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:27 PM
kool_yaar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ ah what a nice easy way to gain 20hp while keeping your warranty... Wish that infiniti wakes up and forms a real performance lineup to compete with M's AMG etc under their IPL sector which for now is not up to the mark to even compete with them
Old 07-26-2011, 02:59 PM
eksigned

^ i can keep up with an e92 m3, barely...in a straight line, at the track barely...LOL
Old 07-26-2011, 07:36 PM
coolraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
Agreed, but again the OP was referring to chips for OUR cars, not the 335i. Those chips aren't too fantastic; from what I've heard from a buddy, the JB3 only ups the boost without really taking into the specs - it's less refined than the Procede. You can tell when you drive the car...it's essentially the "cheap way out." I've heard good things about the JB4 on the other hand

PS Although the Sprint Booster piece is made of plastic, it actually does what it claims to do. Ups the sensitivity/syncs the drive-by-wire for more throttle response.
Yup totally agree with you. For our cars I don't think you really get much out of uprev tune if your stock. However if you put on exhaust, HFCs or intakes then the tune really helps unlock extra power.
I dunno much about jb3 to be honest, but my friend runs jb4 and I saw a huge difference when he runs stock map vs tuned map, much more than i ever saw with my uprev and mods. Honestly it almost made me buy a 335....but i couldnt get past the interior and looks which I think are < infinity .

And yeah, i will be happy to trade in my g for a FI g if Infiniti makes one. It's about time.....maybe they can use a slightly smaller, cooler running engine to TT it? That way hey don't start blowing up our vq37s
Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 PM
eksigned

^ totally. but here's what throws me off about the jb4 and other chip items. from what i've read, those chips only up the boost, and don't really take into consideration the actually afr + other parameters. I don't understand how some of those cars are still on the road; without an actual custom tune...they're afr are way off aka they're killing their plugs, etc..

the uprev doesn't do much for power, but it certainly does increase the drive-ability of the car. everything's some what "harmonized." plus, the added responsiveness is a nice touch. i appreciate the tune more than ever, seeing that it's helped me keep up with a few cars that are considerably much quicker than i am (track)...in a straight line. the car just...stays in its powerband better. think about it this way - if two cars with identical bolt ons went head to head, one having the tune and one without, the car with the tune would pull away with each consecutive shift - stays much better in the powerband (torque).
Old 07-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by coolraz
Yup totally agree with you. For our cars I don't think you really get much out of uprev tune if your stock. However if you put on exhaust, HFCs or intakes then the tune really helps unlock extra power.
I dunno much about jb3 to be honest, but my friend runs jb4 and I saw a huge difference when he runs stock map vs tuned map, much more than i ever saw with my uprev and mods. Honestly it almost made me buy a 335....but i couldnt get past the interior and looks which I think are < infinity .

And yeah, i will be happy to trade in my g for a FI g if Infiniti makes one. It's about time.....maybe they can use a slightly smaller, cooler running engine to TT it? That way hey don't start blowing up our vq37s
The question here is how much transient response do you want? The 335 has excellent transient response (for a turbo engine) partially due to high compression. The GT-R, on OTOH, does not. When you step on the gas, there is lag.

VVEL needs to go away. That opens a lot of doors.