G37 Sedan

Would you rather install GTM TT on G37x or buy S4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fastlane45
S4 most definitely for me.. reason being that an AWD G can't handle the power of TT whereas a rwd g37 can. The S4 was purpose built with forced induction and all wheel drive and that's a proven recipe for that specific car. Also a bit off topic but you might want to consider a 335xi and a tune if its speed you want
Based on what you think the awd can't handle as much as rwd? Or do you mean AT can't handle as much as MT? Because there are no awd TTs out there yet since GTM's still developing it.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:02 PM
njchen24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your inputs and comments.

I have heard from friends that Audi is not reliable. If this is true (I need to do some research for this), I wonder how about BMW 335ix instead. I need all wheel drive because of the snow in NJ and AT because I am lazy. I drive stick for so many years that I now prefer the lay back version especially with the stop and go traffic and my reflex is not as good as 10 years ago.

As for the TT, the kit alone for the G37x is $9700 at GTM website (it's the EX35 model kit) + installation. I've called Performance motorsport in NY and he gave me an estimate of $14500 for a G37S kit. He said that the kit won't fit the G37x because of the transfer case and advise me to install the Stillen supercharge instead.

c63 AMG, is-f and M3 is out of my reach. If I have $80,000 I would get the GT-R instead.
One big problem now is how to get S4 without telling my wife its real costs of $53,000 but $40,000. Otherwise I have to offer her a $30,000 ring to shut her up. Any idea?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by njchen24

I have heard from friends that Audi is not reliable. If this is true (I need to do some research for this), I wonder how about BMW 335ix instead. I need all wheel drive because of the snow in NJ and AT because I am lazy. I drive stick for so many years that I now prefer the lay back version especially with the stop and go traffic and my reflex is not as good as 10 years ago.

As for the TT, the kit alone for the G37x is $9700 at GTM website (it's the EX35 model kit) + installation. I've called Performance motorsport in NY and he gave me an estimate of $14500 for a G37S kit. He said that the kit won't fit the G37x because of the transfer case and advise me to install the Stillen supercharge instead.

c63 AMG, is-f and M3 is out of my reach. If I have $80,000 I would get the GT-R instead.
One big problem now is how to get S4 without telling my wife its real costs of $53,000 but $40,000. Otherwise I have to offer her a $30,000 ring to shut her up. Any idea?
Audis & BMWs are going to typically have more issues than Japanese vehicles. I'd say it's a tossup between the two German makes, there's been some serious fuel pump issues w/ the 335 and some electrical glitches w/ the Audis. I think the S4 has had a pretty good start since they went to the 6cyl over the v8 in the previous version. I wouldn't hesitate to get a S4 (I'm considering a CPO S4 in 2012) or a 335, but I would definitely trade it in when the warranty is up. A German ride w/ no warranty is a huge gamble, and a very expensive one at that
Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 PM
fastlane45

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Legz
Based on what you think the awd can't handle as much as rwd? Or do you mean AT can't handle as much as MT? Because there are no awd TTs out there yet since GTM's still developing it.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...em-handle.html
^that. im also aware that there is no system available for awd which is yet another reason to choose the s4. if a supercharged awd G has problems, adding power will only compound that problem
Old 07-09-2011, 04:09 PM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One big problem now is how to get S4 without telling my wife its real costs of $53,000 but $40,000.
Put the $13k you have buried in the back yard as down payment ?

Good that you're going with the sport differential option on the S4.

You looking at a 2012 (starting to trickle into east coast dealers this week) or a remaining 2011?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:48 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

BMW reliability issues are worse. Like someone else said, if you were to compare the G to the Audi, then yes, the Audi will have more issues. But does it make it unreliable? What's the definition of unreliable? Every car will have issues, but the threshold of when it becomes unreliable is subjective. Some people will cry about the car being unreliable when something like a window regulator fails (which audi/bmw/merc will fail more often than a G), but does it make it unreliable? there may be more frequencies where minor things will go wrong that does not effect the drivability of the car, but will you call that unreliable?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:20 PM
zoner

S4 all the way
Old 07-09-2011, 06:29 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by sniper27
BMW reliability issues are worse. Like someone else said, if you were to compare the G to the Audi, then yes, the Audi will have more issues. But does it make it unreliable? What's the definition of unreliable? Every car will have issues, but the threshold of when it becomes unreliable is subjective. Some people will cry about the car being unreliable when something like a window regulator fails (which audi/bmw/merc will fail more often than a G), but does it make it unreliable? there may be more frequencies where minor things will go wrong that does not effect the drivability of the car, but will you call that unreliable?
As you go up both lines of Audi & BMW you'll typically see reliabilty go down. The BMW 1s & 3s are pretty reliable (w/ the exception of the fuel pump issue, but even that has been getting better), the BMW 7 series are a reliability nightmare, at least up to the 08s. Audi 4s, 5s & TTs have gotten pretty good as the 6s and 8s still carry the high % of reliability issues.
As long as you have a BMW & Audi dealer within a reasonable drive and your car is under warranty I would pull the trigger on one.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:50 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Those 2 are totally different routes. TT is pretty crazy so it will easly take a S4. But the S4 looks and handles just perfectly.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Albert60

FWIW: Next year, MY 2013 S4, is a refresh (exterior updates, possible new electronics, and more.)
Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 AM
njchen24

I decide to keep the G37 as stock for another 2 years and hope that I can dig some reliability data on the other twos.

I also have been looking into Stillen supercharge option. The kit + installation is $11,000 max. Personally, I don't like the way the kit look under the hood. It's asymmetrical unlike the TT. As for the performance the installer said that I can get 420hp at the wheel if my memory serve me well. I may consider this option if my car doesn't have a weird shifting problem, windshield wiper squeaky noise, and rattling noise inside the cabin in the speaker area and in the front dashboard driver side. I went to the dealer several times and still not happy with the result.

The shifting problem seems to be smoother after they flash per ITB10-015. However, it's still there. The shifting sometimes seems jerky when accelerating. I've got the impression that the wheels have slipped on an oily surface for a short instance finally find some adherence suddenly then go. Interestingly, I don't feel this in the new or old loaner car. More over, now I loose the aggressiveness when merging into traffic in the highway. When I floor the car doesn't take off like when I first got it.

The rattling problems are still there and I will let the dealer know in my next visit.

As for the squeaky wiper, I've changed many brand (RainX xpel, Bosch Icon, Goodyears, including OEM and it still squeak. I never had this problem with any of my other cars (Toyota, Honda and Subaru). This drive me nuts when it rains and I have to use the wiper.
I should also mention that the AC evaporator and compressor has been replaced at 1000 miles, rotors resurface at 800 miles, 11,000 miles and replace all rotors at 23,000 miles.

If I mod the G, I should get another new G37x or G37xS.

Since 9/11, I am not sure if $13k cash down payment is possible without any questions asked. It's legitimate money and I don't like to feel harass with all the stupid questions. In any case, she still see the invoice.

I configure the S4 via Audi web-site and it's 2011 model.

Originally Posted by clutch5
Put the $13k you have buried in the back yard as down payment ?

Good that you're going with the sport differential option on the S4.

You looking at a 2012 (starting to trickle into east coast dealers this week) or a remaining 2011?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 AM
4drScreamer

Good luck with your selection. It sounds like you've got enough challenge on your hands with the wifey.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:36 AM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
it would be close, but i would prob go S4.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:29 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by _ant_
it would be close, but i would prob go S4.
You'll have the warranty w/ the S4, I doubt anything drivetrain related would be warranted after the TT is installed.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:29 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
a bolt on G37x would be as fast if not faster then a S4.. TT is in a different category.

Quick Reply: Would you rather install GTM TT on G37x or buy S4?