G37 Sedan

Took a 600 mile road trip in the G Yesterday. My Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:06 PM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took a 600 mile road trip in the G Yesterday. My Experience

Yesterday I took a trip from Miami to Ocala then back. I was driving anywhere between 90 and 100 for most of the trip there and back and still managed to average 23 mpg. I must say the G handled it like a champ. I enjoyed the trip but I do have a few concerns.

1) NAV TRAFFIC SUX ROYALLY. I was stuck at a standstill on the turnpike for over an hour due to a bad accident. The Nav system never gave an alert nor was the incident listed when I did a manual search. 0

2) Whose logic is the Nav system using. This thing will take you around the world and back before finally taking you to your destination. I tried using both the fastest route and shortest route settings but it still was trying to take me around the world. Good thing I already knew where I was going.

3) An Idiot in the left lane basically swerved right at me trying to exit at the last minute. I was then forced to slam on brakes and exit with the idiot to avoid an accident. When I slammed on brakes I heard the tires screech and lock up for about a second( I was doing about 90 at the time) then the brake pedal began to Vibrate like crazy. Felt like the brake pads had come loose. I figured it was the antilock brakes, but the pedal continued to vibrate when applying the brakes for a few miles after the close call. Is that normal?

4) On the way back home, while passing a truck, something struck my windshield on the passenger side. I secretly think the truck driver threw something out his window. The windshield didn't break so I thought nothing of it. When I got home and inspected my car and I saw two scratches about an inch long on the passenger side. Both penetrate down to the medal and one goes right through the pin striping. To make a bad situation worse, the mirror cover on the passenger side is also M.I.A. I did a search online for the mirror covers and found some on Ebay, but they come unpainted. Does anyone know if the dealerships mirror covers come unpainted as well, and if so will they paint them like they paint the splash guards? Also I put alot of bugs out of their misery last night. Whats the best method for removing the critters?

Thanks in Advance

Max
Old 07-04-2011, 10:06 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Pedal vibrating IS the ABS system working. It probably persisted until it reset.

As far as the Nav... good Lord does that thing fu**ing SUCK. It couldn't find an elephant in an empty parking lot if you put a fu**ing strobe light on it.

A number of times I have tried to enter an address that it says doesn't exist when it clearly does... or a street that it says doesn't exist when it has been there for over 10 years.

Absolutely HORRIFIC piece of sh*t navigation system. I have a $250 Garmin that works 10 times better. Infiniti should be ashamed of this fu**ing thing.

My apologies for the rant, but this Nav system is REALLY pissing me off, if you couldn't tell.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 PM
zoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree, it does stink. Not making excuses for it but my Garmin does weird sh_t as well.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Couldn't agree more...the navigation on our cars is no better than a small Garmin unit! As for your #3 point, it's more than likely that your rotors are warped. I'm assuming you were driving in extremely warm weather, correct? It's not normal, but it's a characteristic of most cars; OE rotors are simply weak and warp all the time - it's from all the heat, and considering you did a hard brake at 90 mph, you can imagine how hot they were after. Despite, you can either replace them with aftermarket ones that are slotted (drilled - most drilled rotors are only for show though - they have to be drilled completely through the rotor to be of any actual use/benefit) or you can have them turned (albeit, it's prone to happen again). The damage SUCKS! Long highway/high speed trips...what'd you expect? . You should check out my front bumper - I do almost 95% freeway driving @ 70+ mph. .

Happy 4th!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:06 AM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you members with Sport brakes still have warpage problems like I would have with my G37xS sedan? I thought the Akebono brakes eliminated just about all of that problem from happening.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:00 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Before I bought the G, Me and my family had 3 cars ('11 Highlander, '07 ES350, '11 Accord), all with Nav. They all suck compared to my Android Phone. That's why when I bought my G, I opted out of the nav package. Not one day do I regret not getting it. Although it would be nice to have bluetooth streaming, but I can live without it.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:29 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
i'm glad I didn't get the NAV. when I bought my car, there was only one white with graphite interior and it didn't have NAV. I choose the color combo over another one with NAV. My Garmin works flawlessly also.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:40 PM
G37NC

My Nav actually gave me some valuable traffic info while driving to Charleston, SC Saturday. Traffic on I-77 (on a very desolate stretch) came to a rolling 10mph and all was noted on the Nav. as a 4 mile, southbound delay. I was impressed but my passenger was even more impressed.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Wow glad I opted to forgo the nav, glad it wasn't a mistake. My portable Garmin works great every time and cost me less than $150.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Falcons023

I made a 900 mile trip this past weekend driving between 80-90mph and my G got 24.1mpg for the trip. It was fun riding the VQ37's awesome power.

I did not have major issues with Nav...but their POI really sucks. I got habituated to using my android phone to find stuff and feed our NAV. I am really enjoying the bluetooth audio in the meantime.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 PM
BKG37X

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't wait to take mine on a long trip, but yes, the Navi sucks on this car, I just use it as a map. I have a small dent from a rock that shot at my passenger door from a semi, saw it shoot out from the rear tire, sucks. My brakes only vibrate when slowing down from 100+, going to get Hawk pads, stocks leave too much dust.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Cheburashka

Reading your points of view on the NAV makes me happy I didn't get nav package.

I agree with other posters that your rotors are warped. You figure that the car is 4000 pounds. The rotors need to be bigger/thicker to handle heavy-duty stops from 90/100 mph on a consistent basis.

Also, I have been able to get 25 mpg when driving 65-70 on NJTP. I find that driving a little slower and getting better gas mileage is very rewarding (especially if you use the fuel economy screen and make it into a game).

Has anyone cracked 25 mpg on a consistent basis? What is the best this car is capable of?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I also have a portable Garmin that I consider better and more user friendly then the GPS in my G37. I use the Garmin with my other vehicle. I'm tempted to bring it along, in the G, on my next long trip.
I wonder why the car companies don't use Garmins for their built in GPS's.
The best scenario would be a large screen Garmin in the dash, that you could pop out and change to a newer model as the car got older.
I bought a 2011 Santa Fe for my wife to use locally for shopping,etc. I made sure to get one without a built in GPS.
One of the advantages of the Garmin is it lets you know the posted speed limit on just about every secondary highway and road. The G's Nav seems to only work on Interstates.
I did a Mapquest routing my last trip from Lake of the Ozarks,MO to Valdesta,GA, about 600 miles, of secondary highways. The nav system in the G couldn't figure out my route and kept wanting me to turn around for hundreds of miles.
I've taken the same route several times with the Garmin and it knew where I was going.
Tom
Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 PM
JJsBusaRox

Hmm, my nav works great for me. Even took a trip to Vancouver, B.C. to places I haven't been and worked flawlessly. I agree on the nav traffic though..it is useless.

BTW, is the nav traffic suppose to re-direct you automatically if your route has moderate to heavy traffic or are you suppose to re-route manually?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 PM
ethantaylor7788

I have both a NAV in my car and an Android phone. I must admit the Infiniti nav is not perfect but I think the convenience of it always being on and ready to go is worth it. I think as time passes by, the advantages of the Google Nav will continue to increase but for now, it's great to have both. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Took a 600 mile road trip in the G Yesterday. My Experience