G37 Sedan

Took a 600 mile road trip in the G Yesterday. My Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:48 PM
ethantaylor7788

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also not having to deal with power cords and putting away the GPS mount is another benefit.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheburashka
Reading your points of view on the NAV makes me happy I didn't get nav package.

I agree with other posters that your rotors are warped. You figure that the car is 4000 pounds. The rotors need to be bigger/thicker to handle heavy-duty stops from 90/100 mph on a consistent basis.

Also, I have been able to get 25 mpg when driving 65-70 on NJTP. I find that driving a little slower and getting better gas mileage is very rewarding (especially if you use the fuel economy screen and make it into a game).

Has anyone cracked 25 mpg on a consistent basis? What is the best this car is capable of?
I have gotten 27+ mpg, on highway trips, since I bought my 2010 G37. It now has 14,800 miles on it. I live in Florida and always have the air on. We take long trips with the car loaded very heavy and average around 80 on the Interstate and 73 on the 2 lanes. Last trip of 3,800 miles I got 27.8
I would think if I weren't loaded down with so much luggage and drove a constant 70 the G would get close to 30 mpg.
You can't drive 70 in SW Florida, you'd feel like a speed bump. The average down here is probably 80 for the majority of the drivers.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ethantaylor7788
I have both a NAV in my car and an Android phone. I must admit the Infiniti nav is not perfect but I think the convenience of it always being on and ready to go is worth it. I think as time passes by, the advantages of the Google Nav will continue to increase but for now, it's great to have both. Just my two cents.
That gave me a thought... my friend's android phone has video output, so I wonder if there's a way to display the phone's "video" on the car's display screen.

I don't have navi either, but I would love to display my HTC MyTouch android phone's Google Maps with Traffic turned on, on the in-dash screen!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:54 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I recently took a trip to San Diego. About 140 miles one way and cruising @ 75-80, I averaged 29 mpg.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:40 AM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting. I hardly ever use my Nav except in Map mode. In other words, I don't ask it for directions. Bummed to know it sux.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:09 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just drove NYC to Montreal this weekend............im sorry but I kinda need to disagree with u on the Navi, its pretty darn good, reliable...never had an issue with it. Nav traffic is a different case.

The car was great, I was getting about 24-25mpg...cruising 70-100. the AC was nice and cold.....the sport seats got a little annoying and uncomfortable for me after a while....yet my passanger was falling asleep because she said it was so comfortable.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:17 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I got 36 mpg over 180 miles once going 70-80, but later discovered I had a good tailwind. It makes a difference.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zoner
Agree, it does stink. Not making excuses for it but my Garmin does weird sh_t as well.
Haha, even my android phone wanted me to go through BFE on my way to Chicago....I ended up getting there faster and driving an extra 15 miles by staying on the Interstate. The nav system in my 11 works great, but I've only used it 5 or 6 times in the last couple weeks I've had it. It's definitely nicer and faster to operate than my 07 M was, so I'm not too concerned yet. But I will play around with it more and see, the voice operation aspect is muuuuuch better!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheburashka
Reading your points of view on the NAV makes me happy I didn't get nav package.

I agree with other posters that your rotors are warped. You figure that the car is 4000 pounds. The rotors need to be bigger/thicker to handle heavy-duty stops from 90/100 mph on a consistent basis.

Also, I have been able to get 25 mpg when driving 65-70 on NJTP. I find that driving a little slower and getting better gas mileage is very rewarding (especially if you use the fuel economy screen and make it into a game).

Has anyone cracked 25 mpg on a consistent basis? What is the best this car is capable of?
When mine was brand new, June 22nd, I was driving it home 80 miles going 65 and I was getting 27.7 mpg, but thats with my 6MT and the 18 wheels. I can get 23/24 around town if I shift at 3k and don't wind it up too much...but that's usign 5th n 6th around town
Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still don't have complaint about the navigation system after a year of driving. It is easy to use and get me from point A to point B with no problems. A few weeks back, I drove my friend's Range Rover but I couldn't figure out how to use its navigation system. I was playing with it trying to figure it out...but I reached my destination and still couldn't make it work. I very much appreciate the nav on my G after that incident.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:35 AM
maxfinity

Now don't get me wrong, I still like the convience of the built in Nav, It just annoyed me because it kept pushing for me to get off the highway and take all these secondary streets when the Highway was the fastest route. As far as finding addresses, I really don't have any problems. I also like the weather forecast, maps, and warnings. The Nav traffic is useless because its based on the accident being reported to XM. They really need to work on that. As far as gas mileage goes, I really don't have any complaints 23 mpg while driving 90 - 100mph most of the way is not bad at all. During my normal commute I usually average about 22 mpg(60 highway/40 city). Btw, I've already had my front rotors resurfaced twice and my rear rotors once. I didn't really experience any more vibration the rest of the trip back nor when exiting the highway like the previous cases of warped rotors so I really think it was the ABS. Ill get it checked out though just to be certain. Thanks for you input.

Also the G's Navigation system beats Cadillacs Nav system on its worst day. Couldn't find an address in the Cadillacs system(2011 Escalade) to save my life, but the G found it with no problems. Mercedes also has a nice nav system but the voice recognition system is crap. I guess each car has its ups and downs.

Last edited by maxfinity; 07-07-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JJsBusaRox
Hmm, my nav works great for me. Even took a trip to Vancouver, B.C. to places I haven't been and worked flawlessly. I agree on the nav traffic though..it is useless.

BTW, is the nav traffic suppose to re-direct you automatically if your route has moderate to heavy traffic or are you suppose to re-route manually?
I agree with the Nav assessment on this thread. My unit on just one occassion alerted to me to a road Closed up ahead 7 miles due to an accident and offered a new alternative route. I can't say recall if I had i a Route set when this occurred. I was commuting to work, so after 9 years, I think I can get there without a NAVI. LOL.... You should consult the Manual: I believe that the Navi alerts you of major traffic problems ONLY if a Route is selected? It does quialify it by saying that it may not be available in all areas (at least that what XM radio says). I generally rely on XM Radio station 133 (NY area Traffic & weather) or the local major News AM stations. I dropped the Weather in my XM radio - a real waster of money.

BTW, our company has purchased for some of the mult- used company cars: Tom Toms, cheapy ones, w/o Traffic models, but they offer alerts fopr the growing number of Traffic signal cameras. It will tell you that a Camera is 75-50 feet ahead with a beeping and flashing Icon. Too bad I'm too old, can't see the 3.5" screen too well.... But in the NY area, that is a God Send as the amount of digital cameras to capture the cars running thru intersections' yellow lights is growing quickly.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM
mikejg

I just did a 600 mile round trip drive this past weekend. All highway w/ 50% in hills of the Ozarks and 50% flat farm land and got 27.5 mpg in my 37x, which just passed the 1500 mile mark (just bought on Memorial Day). I was pleased with these numbers, as I think the 37x is rated at 25 mpg highway.

Edit: Oh yeah and I probably averaged 75 mph.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:27 AM
irrelevant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think any car-based navigation system is as good as many portable units.

That said, when we were looking for a G, we didn't even consider any without the factory nav. We've spent too many years taking portable units down from the windshield, putting them back up, and chasing them around the vehicle after making a quick turn. We'll save the Garmin for use in rental cars during business trips or vacations.

A portable GPS stuck on a windshield is an invitation for someone to break a window and steal it. It also screams "I'm lost and vulnerable."
Old 07-10-2011, 12:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
I recently took a trip to San Diego. About 140 miles one way and cruising @ 75-80, I averaged 29 mpg.

I think you just get better mileage when listening to some sexy sax.

Quick Reply: Took a 600 mile road trip in the G Yesterday. My Experience