G37 Sedan

15k Service - How Much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
BG products are very good. I had a Ford Ranger with 160k miles that really benefitted from their 44k fuel system cleaner. A car with 15k miles absolutely does not need this stuff, but it likely won't hurt. It's about $19-$20 a can, so they didn't hammer you too bad on that.

Oil additives = snake oil. No idea why they're selling that crap for a relatively new car.

Hey, if you feel better about having the service done, then go for it. Someone's gotta buy the donuts.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM
jg10G37-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's funny, when I was 18 I thought 50 was old, now that I'm 38 it's not so bad. As long as I have time, knowledge & energy I'll do what I can. I hate driving to these guys, waiting and then getting the bill for something I could have done.

But, I definitely here the folks who just don't want to deal with it. It takes longer to buy the oil, jack up the car, get the tools, pull all those damn bolts out to remove the bottom cover then actually draining the oil and refilling it. And, I always get dirty!

Maybe one day I'll throw in the towel and say the hell with it, but until then, I'll be the dirty monkey under the car.

JG
Old 06-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Noddy11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CougarRed
Noddy

There's 1 Cabin Air Filter, and 2 Engine Air Filters.

BG products are not bad. Hell, I use fuel additives myself. But for the dealer to do it, charge for it, and not explain it is really quite disturbing.

Replacing the engine air filters costs $35 for parts and takes 5 minutes tops.

Buying your own oil and filter and taking it to Jiffy Lube will cost you maybe $65 depending on how pricey the oil is. But they replace the crush washer for you in that $65.

Rotating and balancing tires costs what, $30 at a tire shop (if you can't get it for free)?

Lubing the door hinges and locks is a BS charge. We're talking $5 worth of lube and 5 minutes.

Replacing the cabin filter takes like 30 minutes. My dealer charged my $62 in labor. I bought my own cabin filter for $12.

Very good wiper blades cost $25 for a pair, and can be replaced in a matter of minutes by yourself.

Topping off fluids should be free. As should inspecting 16 other things.

So - your service should have cost about ~$250. They made 100% profit on you.

Thanks for the info. Seems weird that they just throw in additives if they aren't called for. Or maybe they just say they do and charge for it. This particular dealer has a douchebag reputation so it wouldn't surprise me. It's only a mile from where I work so it's convenient, otherwise I'd have to drive a lot further. Despite being close by I didn't get my car from them though, I went another 30 miles or so to avoid them. I thought I'd take a chance with the service deparment, maybe that wasn't too bright.

I leased my car and my understanding is that I have to get all scheduled maintenance done to comply with the lease. I'm assuming that when the time comes to turn the car in that I'll have to prove that it was all done, and if I go to an independent shop I'll need to show receipts. Is that more or less correct?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Hliang

I got quoted "The price would be 318.76 which would include oil change, balance of all tires, in cabin micro filter and both engine air filters."
According to the service dude I emailed haha
Old 11-21-2011, 03:18 PM
fluxemag

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Took my car in for the 15k, only because the first two years maintenance is free at the dealership I got the car from. They did the engine air filters, cabin air filter, oil change, tire rotation and something called zaktech paint sealant. No idea what that is, but the car is very shiny and clean. Only problem is I think they sealed a bird crap onto the paint (MW color). Then I get a list of things they want me to do that added up to almost $500. Clean intake manifold, throttle body, injectors, and do alignment. That all sounds like stuff that doesn't need to happen. I looked at my tires and there's no obvious sign of uneven wear. They must be fishing for suckers.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:06 PM
movinon

Originally Posted by fluxemag
Took my car in for the 15k, only because the first two years maintenance is free at the dealership I got the car from. They did the engine air filters, cabin air filter, oil change, tire rotation and something called zaktech paint sealant. No idea what that is, but the car is very shiny and clean. Only problem is I think they sealed a bird crap onto the paint (MW color). Then I get a list of things they want me to do that added up to almost $500. Clean intake manifold, throttle body, injectors, and do alignment. That all sounds like stuff that doesn't need to happen. I looked at my tires and there's no obvious sign of uneven wear. They must be fishing for suckers.
Your correct on "fishing for suckers"
Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM
movinon

I changed my oil at 14,900 miles, so I did the 15,000 mile check to see what was needed.
I checked the 2 engine air filters and they were still fine.
I don't intend to change my cabin air filter until at least 30,000 miles. The reason is my car has almost all long highway trips on it, so I figure the cabin air filter at 30,000 miles will still have less hours of usage then the majority of owners with 15,000 miles of mixed city/highway driving.
I used a tire thread depth gauge to check the tire wear and they were all wearing evenly, so I didn't bother to rotate them.
I have always enjoyed doing my own periodic maintenance, but consider it a waste of time to perform maintenance if it isn't required.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 PM
NCHIINFMNGR

I hear what all u guys are saying, but just ala cart the svc, lof/rotate/air filters and cabin , for all this it is $235.00, plus i always have coupons, believe me when I tell u this (just look at my name!!) if all u do is come to the dealer for warry work and say the dealer sucks, how am i going to feel when ur veh just falls out of warry and u need help?
Technically speaking i can help u with money from infiniti when your car falls out of warry, get most things covered even though your veh is out of warry up to a certian dollar amount, but dont forget guys this is a business, if u do what i tell u most of the time and build a relationship with the dealer, i have no problem helping people when they fall out of warrany if the problem is up to a certian dollar amount, but if inf and i look at your history and i tell u to do reg maint ir rec and u just say screw that too expensive or things like just use dealers for warry, they suck, i have the right to deny u any help from infiniti. BELIVE ME THIS HAPPENS A LOT, AND TO BE HONEST, WHY SHOULD I HELP U THEN, U JUST BASH ME. Sorry to say but dealers are a business, we need to keep the doors open just like most of u that have a business right?, so why so negitive toward dealers, not all of us are a$$ holes like me. All of my customers from another brand switched to infinit just so they could work with me! So dont always bash dealers, i get some suck but some dont. Keep this in mind people when u say screw the dealer
Old 11-21-2011, 05:59 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by jg10G37-S
IThe crappy part is having to remove the bottom cover with all those 10mm bolts but besides that, it's quick and easy.

JG
You only need to remove the 5 rear bolts, and fold the cover forward at the crease made for it.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:27 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I could not swallow $450 for the 15,000 mile service. I had a reputable shop perform an oil change with M1, perform a multi point check, and rotate the tires. ($83). I then purchased a magnetic head 15" Phillips head screwdriver ($10) and a cabin air filter ($17), watched a YouTube video and replaced it myself in 12 minutes. Then purchased and replaced the two air filters for about $30. Finally I purchased new oem wipers online for $40. $170 plus a little more time and effort. The dealer struggled with minimal warranty work - I'm not willing to give them hard earned money for minimal effort maintenance.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
You only need to remove the 5 rear bolts, and fold the cover forward at the crease made for it.

Yep, it's simple, I just use an extra hydraulic jack against the flap to keep it held back as the oil drains and to get to the oil filter, no need to remove all the other bolts off the splash guard. I also built my own ramps (since my car's lowered) and takes about 15 minutes from start to finish.

I also use an air compressor to clean out my air filters, the OEM air filters are very good and if you blow them out regularly no need to replace them except every 30k or so.

You can also find decent cabin filters on Amazon, I found a Purolator BreatheEasy filter for 10 bucks, and I needed to get a couple DVDs so I got free shipping, lol.

Luckily these Infinitis are some of the easiest cars to do your own maintainance. I've had several cars in the past that had crossmembers in the way of drain plugs, impossible places to get to spark plugs, and various other things that made DIY a real PITA.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:41 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
NCHIINFMNGR, is there an interval for valve adjustments (gap between cam and lifter or equivalent) on these engines?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:16 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
NCHIINFMNGR, is there an interval for valve adjustments (gap between cam and lifter or equivalent) on these engines?
No such service needed, we have VVEL actuators.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:31 AM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All dealer ship charges are for "visual inspections". If they could not find problems when I told them exactly what the symptoms are, how are they going to find any problem staring at the car?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:14 PM
cy7878

Originally Posted by CodeG
All dealer ship charges are for "visual inspections". If they could not find problems when I told them exactly what the symptoms are, how are they going to find any problem staring at the car?

They are looking for a big pay day. That's all.

Quick Reply: 15k Service - How Much?